Advice for a Vet, please.

HooterBro388

I have an AT Pro. As well as it might work on the beaches where I live, I'm always wondering if there's something more I might be missing. Especially in the water.

I'm just now getting healthy enough to really hunt in salt water. I'm not able to dive on air due to a TBI. So I'm mostly in chest deep water or shallower. My AT Pro has taken a beating in this environment and I really don't want to keep putting her through that. Also, to be very blunt, it requires a LOT of time going over each prospective target with the AT Pro in four feet of Gulf of Mexico water. I need that AT Pro to last because lets face it, the VA is quite well known for suddenly stopping benefits and I've gone through that slinky effect with them already. I just cannot afford to make many purchases in this hobby I so enjoy. So once I make one, I need it to last for a good many years and since the AT Pro is such a versatile machine, I want to limit its scope to dry land, dry beach and perhaps some fresh water. I've already been having some issues with it falsing due to salt water.

So if a guy were going to look seriously into making a new purchase of a serious salt water/beach detector, what would you all recommend? It will require some further finds before I could afford a new machine. So no rush to answer. And I simply do not use credit cards.

Thanks for any advice you'd be willing to give.

I've taken my AT Pro into the water, but don't really consider it as a "dedicated" water machine.

Your falsing, remember to take off the coil cover from time to time, sand and can get in there especially in the water.

Water machine choices...If you want to stay with Garrett hard to beat price of Sea Hunter. Tesoro sand shark is similar priced.

Others include Fisher CZ21, Minelab Excal.

I've taken my AT Pro into the water, but don't really consider it as a "dedicated" water machine.

Your falsing, remember to take off the coil cover from time to time, sand and can get in there especially in the water.

Water machine choices...If you want to stay with Garrett hard to beat price of Sea Hunter. Tesoro sand shark is similar priced.

Others include Fisher CZ21, Minelab Excal.

You're right about the cover. I make sure it's cleaned out at all times. Typically when I'm hunting on sand or in the water, I just leave it off. Anywhere else where there are rocks and such, I leave it on.

One of my frustrations is how if you bump the coil, it will often give off a tone. So then, you have to keep going over that same spot to make sure it wasn't something you're wanting to find. In moderate surf, this really kicks my butt.

I've really looked hard at the Whites Surf PI. But that is one pricy sucker! I've also seen the Garrett Sea Hunter. It seems to be just as feature packed for a few hundred less. I'll need to research that one more. I've also looked at the Tesoro offerings. Somehow, I'll need to balance price vs. reliability and performance.

Thank you for your reply.

Water detectors

I have an AT Pro. As well as it might work on the beaches where I live, I'm always wondering if there's something more I might be missing. Especially in the water.

I'm just now getting healthy enough to really hunt in salt water. I'm not able to dive on air due to a TBI. So I'm mostly in chest deep water or shallower. My AT Pro has taken a beating in this environment and I really don't want to keep putting her through that. Also, to be very blunt, it requires a LOT of time going over each prospective target with the AT Pro in four feet of Gulf of Mexico water. I need that AT Pro to last because lets face it, the VA is quite well known for suddenly stopping benefits and I've gone through that slinky effect with them already. I just cannot afford to make many purchases in this hobby I so enjoy. So once I make one, I need it to last for a good many years and since the AT Pro is such a versatile machine, I want to limit its scope to dry land, dry beach and perhaps some fresh water. I've already been having some issues with it falsing due to salt water.

So if a guy were going to look seriously into making a new purchase of a serious salt water/beach detector, what would you all recommend? It will require some further finds before I could afford a new machine. So no rush to answer. And I simply do not use credit cards.

HooterBro388

I will agree with the other responses that you have received from members.
Whites PI , Garrett Sea Hunter, Tesoro Sand Shark, ect I carry all of them and more. When your ready I can answer any questions you might have
dennis

First of all thank you for your service! :thumbsup:

I would look hard at a used Fisher CZ71-CZ20. Those things are build strong. Last for ever if ya do not beat them to heck. The are multi freg and discriminate well.

Been very happy with my Excal II. Have a troll through the beach finds people are making here on the forums and make note of what machines they're using. :yes:

Thanks for youe Service!

Serious water hunters? Best two out are the Minelab Excalibur II 1000 and the Fisher CZ-21 10.5”

Back
Top Bottom