looking for my next detector

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
I've owned different machines from a etrac to a bounty hunter.I'm looking to spend 600 and will hunt a lot at night for coins and jewelry. I like the at pro.gold,but the lack of backlight is something I don't like.Maybe a book light.I've never owned a whites,but considering a mxt.
I just don't know,but whatever I get will be my last for a long while,so if anyone has a good idea in my price range let me know.
I had a 705,and although it was good I went overboard on coils,ended up with twice as much in coils as the machine.I don't want to do that again.
Right now I don't have a machine,but I have a pinpointer,tdk wireless headset and a digging tool.

Would you consider USED??

If so... a used DFX would be about $450 to $600 depending on accessories and condition. It has some bit of a learning curve and if I'm not mistaken, it has a backlight(?) They're great machines...

Alot of good sponsors along with that good advice found at this site. Good luck with your new Mochine whatever it ends up being.

If so... a used DFX would be about $450 to $600 depending on accessories and condition. It has some bit of a learning curve and if I'm not mistaken, it has a backlight(?) They're great machines...

I agree...I swung the DFX for 12 years....You can get them cheap now and they remain EXCELLENT machines. If you get one, I can send you a couple great programs. It has a great backlight!

I'm definitely leaning towards whites.are the id jumpy?

I only have 12 or so hours on a borrowed DFX. My buddy was selling his and I used it for several hunts. I did find a ring at a historic site that was 7 or 8 inches down amongst a ton of trash, it ID'ed as a ring and showed I THINK 23 for the VDI. I was truly impressed with it but did not end up getting it, I also used his E-Trac and bought a new one of those instead. The ring had been in the ground some 60 or 70 years by the way...

Wait a minute here...

Did "the boss" relent?? In February you said you were leaving the hobby 'til next year... :?:

That's why I need a backlight,when she goes to bed I'm goin out.lol..
I'm on a budget though,no more flipping machines,this next one has got to be learned and tamed.

If the backlight is a necessity, I would recommend the MXT Pro. If not the MXT is a great detector with plenty of depth and good ID. I like to use it in Relic Mode trigger forward and in fairly clean areas if you use 0 disc and have two tone ID with ferrous numbers giving a low tone and non ferrous giving a high tone. When you use disc in this mode everything above the disc is high tone and everything is is nulled. You have to use numbers and ignore the icons when you are coinshooting but I was already familiar with the numbers on White's machines so that was no problem for me. The MXT is not a quiet machine when you push the sensitivity to get those deep high whispers but I use the compatability switch on my headphones to cut the sound while I use my pinpointer. My X-Pointer doesn't play real well with the MXT so I will be trying to get a TRX in the near future. Hopefully that will help but if it doesn't then the compatability switch works well. I had one guy tell me that he had the MXT Pro and liked his MXT better because he believed it was a little more sensitive. I think they should be the same but I have found from one detector to the other, there can be a little difference with one being hotter than the other.

Thanks pescadore, I think I'm sold on the mxt pro.weight don't bother me,I swing a stihl all day,so any detector is lighter.Plus there's so many used coils for cheap,I think it's the mxt pro

Never owned a whites,but I'm about to in a month or sooner,I'm sold on the mxt all pro.thanks everyone for the info.I really did want a at pro,but the rigging of a backlight would have Gotton the better of me somehow,I just know it.I'm looking forward to the whites,gotta watch some videos.

White's MXT all pro or the DFX either one and any coils you buy will work on either in case you buy a different White's machine in the future they'll also work on V3I's the only coil I'm aware of that won't interchange is a 15" coil for the MXT line only. You'll probably find a better price on a DFX right now being discontinued probably in the 350.00 range. I have both MXT all pro and the V3I.

I've owned different machines from a etrac to a bounty hunter.I'm looking to spend 600 and will hunt a lot at night for coins and jewelry. I like the at pro.gold,but the lack of backlight is something I don't like.Maybe a book light.I've never owned a whites,but considering a mxt.
I just don't know,but whatever I get will be my last for a long while,so if anyone has a good idea in my price range let me know.
I had a 705,and although it was good I went overboard on coils,ended up with twice as much in coils as the machine.I don't want to do that again.
Right now I don't have a machine,but I have a pinpointer,tdk wireless headset and a digging tool.

Woodbutcher
Running a Metal Detecting shop I have a lot of choices of detectors to use but late evenings with poor lighting i use the Whites Spectra V3I. Again great VDI info for Hunting coins and jewelry " excellent". Using 3 frequency to choose from, it offers so much more , check out my web site and read more of the Detectors description
call me if you have any questions
thanks

Back
Top Bottom