First Dig With HF Pin Pointer Mod

OleSarge

Elite Member
One week tomorrow since my Pro Pointer was sent into Garrett for repair of self inflicted wounds. Finally the ground thawed out enough for a short dig to try out my modified Harbor Freight (Cen-Tech) Pin Pointer. My AT Pro found several good and diggable targets, pin pointed them perfectly, but when the digging started, the Cen-Tech was a miserable failure. If you are considering buying a pin pointer I suggest you take whatever you will spend for a HF Pin Pointer, put some more with it, and just buy a Garrett Pro Pointer out front. I never realized how nonexpendable it was until today, and tomorrow I'll buy a back up Pro Pointer to make sure I never dig without one again.

AT Pro/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/Bounty Hunter Outback/HF Pin Pointer

I would agree also, was not my best or wise purchase....it was almost useless

hh

My Propointer wouldn't shut up yesterday. Usually cycling the power a few times, will get me through a hole. Figure this one is done, a will go back to Garrett, for a second helping of great customer service. My Centech hasn't let me down yet. It's not a Propointer, don't see how people can expect the same out of a $17 tool. You have to learn to use it a little. To get good range and stability, you need to get it tuned in right, takes practice, and needs to be re-adjusted after a few holes. It's a wand, not a probe to shove in the dirt. It's got about a 1" range to work with, about half the Propointer. Of course, it's just simpler to shell out $127.50, and not be bothered with learning new skills, but twice? I'm going to send mine back in after the holidays, hate the post office lines. Wouldn't giving the Minelab a try, knowing the Propointer, is prone to problems, be a better backup option?

My CT is working fine.

I just received my ct pinpointer from a really nice member here who had a spare. I don't know if it was ever reworked with mods, it just works fine. I just tweak it out on the edge. Sense right on the line and am getting 1.5" on a PENNY, without using nickle trick,, It goes off at much greater distances on larger objects. The nickle trick worked awesome though and the pennies were easily reading at 2.5 inches. Not kidding I checked over and again. I respect all your opinions highly. But ...I watched more than a few videos of people pinpointing,, or gouging out packed earth with a blunt instrument ( the Holy Grail Pro pp from G)and digging and probing very rough. I have to be fair here....I built, tested, and trouble shot very high tech electro optical systems on a scientific bench with full out equipment costing about 1mil. Its no big deal but it is one of those jobs we can't talk about. Not trying to boast just trying to be fair,,,,I have a very sensitive light touch....or had. I'm used to tweaking out "Stuff" in microns. My point was..maybe some should slow up and give an instrument a chance. After all look at the threads on people having trouble with even the Amazing ATpro - MD. One guy totally bashed the thing. Others are having problems. Experienced hunters reply to such threads with - Yes mine did that too. I worked through it though--(not a exact qoute). It is not allways "You get what you pay for" answer. That is a frequently repeated saying that we think is law just like-- "They say" has some merit or meaning it must be fact. Like there is some high court of white robed old scholars aswering all things.
Native americans killed huge bears with a homemade sharpened stick. I also watched a guy in about 1500. Worth of camowear exclaim "You can not bear hunt with less than the 30. 06. Hmmm. I hope he allways keeps that bolt action dry and clean in that 17° weather? .....Camo colored bear poop?....

I don't really get why anyone would expect a $16 HF tool to work well or for long. The stuff is throwaway product and can not be compared to a real tool, no matter which tool it is you buy from HF. Some of the products work well and do last, but you have to go in with the realization that if works out of the box, it will only work for 1 or 2 jobs.

My HF PP with a replacement switch (failed the first day as expected) is still functional after my first set of batteries have been replaced in my MD. If it fails tomorrow, I can not complain, it has worked longer than expected.

Please note OPs $125 pin pointer is broken and not usable at the moment so all things man made do fail and some people are better luck than others when it comes to buying thing electronic.. I for one have bad luck but I know this going in.

It's true the product was cheap and a throwaway, but my new one off Ebay was next too useless from day one.

Was it too much to at least to expect it would at least function without
minuts of adjustments that couldn't find a coin in a wet paper bag.

I realized was my mistake to buy and did not even bother to return.
I bought junk and that's what I received...should of not sold my real
genuine pin pointers lesson learned.

Many modern things made today or throwaway but usually they work awhile
until repairs are not feasible, not like this ripoff pp off Ebay.

hh

I tried a Cen Tech one a long time ago and it was junk. There products are warranted for 30 days and that is about how long they last. I have two pro pointers now. It is nice having a back up because I have had to send them into Garrett a few times.

I just received my ct pinpointer from a really nice member here who had a spare. I don't know if it was ever reworked with mods, it just works fine. I just tweak it out on the edge. Sense right on the line and am getting 1.5" on a PENNY, without using nickle trick,, It goes off at much greater distances on larger objects. The nickle trick worked awesome though and the pennies were easily reading at 2.5 inches. Not kidding I checked over and again. I respect all your opinions highly. But ...I watched more than a few videos of people pinpointing,, or gouging out packed earth with a blunt instrument ( the Holy Grail Pro pp from G)and digging and probing very rough. I have to be fair here....I built, tested, and trouble shot very high tech electro optical systems on a scientific bench with full out equipment costing about 1mil. Its no big deal but it is one of those jobs we can't talk about. Not trying to boast just trying to be fair,,,,I have a very sensitive light touch....or had. I'm used to tweaking out "Stuff" in microns. My point was..maybe some should slow up and give an instrument a chance. After all look at the threads on people having trouble with even the Amazing ATpro - MD. One guy totally bashed the thing. Others are having problems. Experienced hunters reply to such threads with - Yes mine did that too. I worked through it though--(not a exact qoute). It is not allways "You get what you pay for" answer. That is a frequently repeated saying that we think is law just like-- "They say" has some merit or meaning it must be fact. Like there is some high court of white robed old scholars aswering all things.
Native americans killed huge bears with a homemade sharpened stick. I also watched a guy in about 1500. Worth of camowear exclaim "You can not bear hunt with less than the 30. 06. Hmmm. I hope he allways keeps that bolt action dry and clean in that 17° weather? .....Camo colored bear poop?....

I bought a Cen-Tech (Harbor Freight) pin pointer because I wanted a pin pointer, and wasn't convinced that I would be using a metal detector long enough to buy a more expensive (any brand name) pin pointer. The Cen-Tech is sold right next to the more expensive paddle style metal detectors and, I believe anyway, intended to be used in a controlled environment during body searches. I cannot be convinced though that this fragile, moisture sensitive hand held metal detector can be expected to perform as a out of doors, dirt digging, rock shoving pin pointer regardless of any number of modifications. However, I need a pin Pointer while my Pro Pointer is absent so, at 3:00 this afternoon I was at Harbor Freight with a new Cent-Tech hand held metal detector in my hand, along with a coupon which gave me 25% off the Cen-Tech, and a free LED light, which I would like to have owned. The price of the Cen-Tech was $17.95 and the coupon reduced that to $13.46 plus tax. This HF Hand Held was to replace the other HF Hand Held I just modified with a vibrator motor, off-on switch, reinforced probe, waterproofing...which still refuses to work below 40 degrees and when it does, sounds off continually until the sensitivity adjustment is cranked way down. Then, you can use it as a lever to pry the coin from the hole before it will sound a peep. And, regardless of how it sounds, this is not a tirade against the Cen-Tech Hand Held. Rather, it is voicing a informed opinion on a metal detector oriented forum for metal detector oriented subscribers with much more experience in this area than myself. Anyone is entitled to buy whatever they want and use it however/wherever/whenever they want and I cannot possibly influence that in any way. But, as is expected on a forum, I have posted something I have discovered during a metal detector related experience and leave it to the reader to make their own determination of applicablility/usability. My Garrett Pro Pointer is at Garrett for maintenance because I dropped it in a stream, left it under water for some time then stepped on it while searching the muddy stream bed. Even after I found it the Pro Pointer worked perfect except the speaker was plugged with mud. I buggered it by trying to fix it myself by disassembling it to dry it out. But, Garrett says they will take care of it anyway. Try any of that, including the customer service with the HF hand held and you'll understand why the old saying "Fool me once, shame on you...Fool me twice, shame on me" popped into my mind as I headed to the cash register with a second Cen-Tech hand held (not pin pointer) metal detector. No surprise, I returned the Cen-Tech to its place on the shelf and resigned myself to buy a back-up Pro Pointer instead. For the money, and maybe when used as intended, the Cen-Tech is a great little machine. But nursing it along as a metal detecting pin pointer isn't the way I choose to enjoy a hobby tool.

:my2cents: I used the cen tech pointer for a 1.5 yrs. Of course after the mods. which are fun to do anyway. It was a lot better than nothing at all, and for 16.00 & a road trip:yes: COOL! If you can afford a PROPOINTER GREAT! Get it, isn't anything better:imo: Still carry a cen-tech for backup. GL

Some people have different needs, for the types of hunting the do, type of ground they work. The people not hunting in extreme conditions, don't really need to spend big bucks on tools that can take a beating. Some people want to use just one tool for everything. A pinpointer, even the Garrett, isn't designed as a probe, digging tool, or pry bar. You can for a while, but you will eventually do some damage, and need service. $17, is only a little more than the price of shipping the Garrett in for service. The Centech is simple enough to fix myself, if I ever need to. Cheap enough to scrap and replace, if it's beyond repair. I can't be the only on to think it ridiculous to by two, of the same potentially faulty product, just in hopes of at least one still works, while the other is out for repair. Would learn from my mistakes, modify the way I use my tools, before continuing the cycle. If I buy another expensive pinpointer, it won't be a Garrett, two failures, and not abusing it, doesn't matter how great the customer services is. I want a tool I can depend on, to work as expect for the price. Some people might want or need a more sturdy tool, or in such a hurry, they can't be bothered to make occasional adjustments. I also get, that some people need the one button simplicity, but fortunately there are many who don't really need to spend $127.50 (x 2, in some cases), and the money saved, is better spent on more useful things. Price of convenience is kind of high, and this is hobby, to relax, have some fun with.

Some people have different needs, for the types of hunting the do, type of ground they work...this is hobby, to relax, have some fun with.

I think you summed it up nicely. This is a hobby, and if not futzing with a pointer adds to the enjoyment, then whatever you pay for your [Garrett] pointer is money well spent. If you enjoy tinkering with and adjusting your tools, then a Centech pointer may make you happy. And there are any number of pointers in between, and above, in cost. Different strokes for different folks.

Happy hunting, everybody!

I see no real pinpointer sold by HF. I see
image_13164.jpg
that is supposed to be used for this
image_13282.jpg
so if that thing breaks in a hole I wouldn't blame the machine because it is being used as something it was not designed to be used as.

I see no real pinpointer sold by HF. I see ...that is supposed to be used for this ...so if that thing breaks in a hole I wouldn't blame the machine because it is being used as something it was not designed to be used as.

Whew! Thanks for clarifying, DarkP. I was worried about how this is really supposed to be used, ala one of the other descriptions on this thread! :laughing:

Whew! Thanks for clarifying, DarkP. I was worried about how this is really supposed to be used, ala one of the other descriptions on this thread! :laughing:

Well, all I see is bitching and moaning all over this thread when the bitchers and moaners are using it WRONG. Now, if words couldn't help them, they can look at the pictures to help get the point across that they are morons for using something that was not designed for what they are doing with it then complaining about it.

It is surprising that a person who wouldn't hesitate buying a metal detector costing $400.00 to $4000.00, sometimes X2 or 3, solely for the purpose of putting them over a target, would hedge on spending $127.00 for a tool which will greatly add to their ability to quickly recover the target:?:. I am a fully retired guy on Social Security:yoda: and by no standards wealthy. But, if I skip two meals at a restaurant or watch my unnecessary trips to save two tanks of gas and the $127.00 savings will keep my days activities interesting and productive, I'll scrimp and buy a decent pin pointer. That doesn't mean I'm slamming the HF Detector either because it is a great and inexpensive tool. I'm just making sure some are available for carpenters to use while finding nails in boards or screws on the carpet.:extrahappy:

AT Pro/Garrett Pin Pointer/Fiskars Diggers/Bounty Hunter Outback/HF Pin Pointer:lol:

This zen techless pinheadthepointless looks amazingly like the proven very reliable White's Bullseye pp which was excellent and SURE
costed a lot more of course, In my case mainly bought this cheap one because was not sure if was staying with the hobby since have many interests and really had no corelation to how much money I make/ spend or how to use a basic pp. Heck have spent over 300 on a few model pp. I found the Tesoro the best out there had 2 before sold. Not a cheap cousin facsimile pin pointer yea sure guess the light bulb is for deception also, even if that is the best part of this halfazz pp.

I just expected it to work basic and no frills with little depth'
it was a constant chore to adjust, just a throwaway cheap lesson learned.
I don't think we should start name calling a few posters because they posted
their dislike of this product seems this forum is above that. Please don't assume
were using it wrong since most websites advertised it as a pin pointer not a digger :p It was bought for a temporary amount of time but just wastes all your time. For another take on it, we all have compact cheap spare tires on many
cars for emergency, are they not going to work temporarily either...do we need to put air every few feet until buy better tires..

hh

bullseye2_zps344a33a6.jpg

Should of not sold my Whites either top notch pin pointer...... and as sadly lamented by a very wise poster next time use it to not find a coin will bury it underground along with the hibernating grubs and do the metal detecting community a service :) r.i.p.eace of !!!!

It is surprising that a person who wouldn't hesitate buying a metal detector costing $400.00 to $4000.00, sometimes X2 or 3, solely for the purpose of putting them over a target, would hedge on spending $127.00 for a tool which will greatly add to their ability to quickly recover the target:?:. I am a fully retired guy on Social Security:yoda: and by no standards wealthy. But, if I skip two meals at a restaurant or watch my unnecessary trips to save two tanks of gas and the $127.00 savings will keep my days activities interesting and productive, I'll scrimp and buy a decent pin pointer. That doesn't mean I'm slamming the HF Detector either because it is a great and inexpensive tool. I'm just making sure some are available for carpenters to use while finding nails in boards or screws on the carpet.:extrahappy:

AT Pro/Garrett Pin Pointer/Fiskars Diggers/Bounty Hunter Outback/HF Pin Pointer:lol:
That is what I am doing as the Garrett is proven but there are a lot of people who buy something trying to get something for nothing, my mother is like that, and that is fine but when people complain because something is "junk" yet they continue to use it out of its intended purpose then something is wrong with that person.

Stick with what is made for the job and you will be so much happier then, and only then, if something breaks, or goes wrong, can you actually complain about it. Go get that Minelab 36 dollar job and at least it was made to look down holes not up into human ones.

Back
Top Bottom