Need a "real" pinpointer, should I go with the obvious?

GillyWI

Elite Member
I know virtually everyone recommends the Garrett ProPointer (that's the "obvious" I mentioned).
Is there other pinpointers worth considering in about this same price range?
I don't think water is an issue for me, pretty much a landlubber, but I suppose it might be nice to know it can hold up to water in case I do go near water sometime.
I bought 2 Centech's last year, the second one took a !!!! (dump) on me. The first one I think was just the switch, this one seems to turn on OK but the light comes on and the beeper beeps as soon as i push the switch. It will sometimes seem like it will work normally, but any slight pressure on the probe will then make it beep.
Possibly I can make one good one out of the two I have. I also know people have modified them to make them work.
I think I am wel convinced of the value of having one (I actually came home after the Centech quit today!) so I don't mind spending more to get something that will work reliably. To be honest I would be quite happy with a Centech, if it kept on working reliably for a number of years.
My detecting buddy Supersonnentag has a PP and I see if beeps and vibrates faster the closer you get to metal, which is a nice feature I don't have with a Centech. But he had to send it in for a repair, what's up with that, do the Garretts all need to be repaired right away?

Only ones I have owned are centech, fishers, and Garrett PP. Out of those its not even close. The PP is awesome. Only had it about month or so and no problems yet. Would hate to hunt without it.

I've had my Garrett for more than 2 years, and it hasn't missed a beat (or "beep" as the case may be...). Great tool for your kit.

I think the only choices there are for someone who's serious are, (not necessarily in this order), the Garrett Pro Pointer, the Vibra Probe or the Minelab Pro Find. In my humble opinion. All the others are just not quality pin pointers.

Check out the Sun Ray. It discriminates what it is detecting, rather than just pointing out metal. It runs off your MD's batteries. You can't lose it. I have a Pro-Pointer, which has worked OK, except for when I was detecting an old park and the switch crapped out on me before the season was over. Many have had problems with theirs, but many have not. I like my Sun Ray better.

Oh, Stevo, I did check that out and really like the idea. I didn't see one listed for an F4, so I did "the obvious" and will try my luck with a PP. Thanks though.

Minelab for me

I have the Pro-Find 25 by Minelab and really like it a lot. I don't have or have ever used the Garrett so can't really give you real world comparison but I can tell ya why I went with the Pro-Find over the Garrett and that was for two reasons.
1) The Pro-Find can be set to vibrate only
2) The Pro-Find has a sensitivity setting
I wasn't sure about the second feature but figured it was better to have it and not need it then it would be to need it and not have it, but I've found I use it more than I thought I would.

SD

Even though I ordered a PP already, decided to look it up. Thought this pic was funny, guy out metal detecting and "*gasp!* looks like someone forgot their pinpointer and a huge stash of found coins!"

51JJX%2BD%2Bn6L._SY355_.jpg

Garrett Pinpointer

I researched and ordered a Garrett pinpointer from Phil who is a sponsor on this site. He has them and is a pleasure to deal with. I can't wait to get it.

Thanks Ducky! Happy Hunting!

also the pic of the ML Profind is funny. Thats a hoard of old Spanish Gold & silver so do you think someone would leave it like that?

Back
Top Bottom