....Knobs, Switches, Buttons.....

rich_1833

I've really been having fun with my metal detector (Fisher F2) but I want to move up already. I like the idea of knobs, switches, and buttons over menu's. I want it to have a VDI screen also. The three that stand out to me are the Fisher F5, Tesoro DeLeón and Tesoro Cortés. I'm really not a big fan of the garrett detectors. I like the Cortes the best but hate the price. I would more then likely have to get a used cortes if I ended up with that. So what do you think I should get?

I would say stick with fisher if not go with a xt505 they are a really nice machine just a step down from the 705

How is your eyesight?
I read about owners that love those Tesoro's, but most complain about the screen size.

The Cortes is very difficult to see the screen unless you are decent eyesight, otherwise you may be squinting or bending closer to see it. The Deleon, no prob unless you get the glare from the sun, but that's anybodies screen detector that will do that. I liked the Deleon over the Cortes for the larger screen and was super easy to turn on and go. Can't comment on the F5; had a couple of Teknetics machines, the G2 was quiet but the Omega could be a bear around EMI.

What whites detectors is on the same level as the cortes?

The Cortes has fixed ground balance in discriminate mode, the ground balance only works in all metal. There is no ground tracking, there is no salt mode, there is no prospecting mode, there is no relic mode and there is no tone ID.

Even my White's M6 has ground tracking, salt mode, and tone ID. I love Tesoros, I've had my µMax Bandido since 1997, but I can't imagine spending as much as they want for the Cortes and not getting some basic features. Even the White's Coinmaster GT has automatic ground balance, salt mode and tone ID.

if you live in Europe you can buy the laser Hawkeye, this one is a Cortes with the added bonus of auto-track. Otherwise, if vdi is necessary, the whites m6 could be a better choice because of the GB

A shame you have ruled out Garrett. The AT Pro/ Gold are great detectors.

I think I worded that wrong. What I was trying to say was the extra pound of the whites over the Tesoro or garrett.

Tesoro Cortes=2.98 lbs
Whites mxt pro=4.6 lbs
Tesoro Deleon=2.98 lbs
Whites mxt=4.3 lbs
Garrett AT pro/gold=3.3 lbs
Whites m6=4 lbs
Fisher F2=2.6 lbs

I think I worded that wrong. What I was trying to say was the extra pound of the whites over the Tesoro or garrett.

Tesoro Cortes=2.98 lbs
Whites mxt pro=4.6 lbs
Tesoro Deleon=2.98 lbs
Whites mxt=4.3 lbs
Garrett AT pro/gold=3.3 lbs
Whites m6=4 lbs

oh I see. well, comparing Tesoro to white's there is a huge difference in weight. I manage to hunt more hours straight with the tesoros than I do with the mxt. the mxt is well-balanced thought

Is the weight of the whites mxt pro or the m6 noticeable?

Not really, the White's machines are some of the best balanced available. The logic box sits in a metal box along with the battery high up on the S-shaft, you can swing them all day.

Abso-FREEEKIN-lutely!

What whites detectors is on the same level as the cortes?

The Cortes has fixed ground balance in discriminate mode, the ground balance only works in all metal. There is no ground tracking, there is no salt mode, there is no prospecting mode, there is no relic mode and there is no tone ID.

Even my White's M6 has ground tracking, salt mode, and tone ID. I love Tesoros, I've had my µMax Bandido since 1997, but I can't imagine spending as much as they want for the Cortes and not getting some basic features. Even the White's Coinmaster GT has automatic ground balance, salt mode and tone ID.

:yes:

At 67 years old I sold my Whites DFX and bought a Tesoro Deleon because of the weight. I can now hunt most of the day with the Deleon. I really liked my DFX but just could not handle the weight any longer. The Deleon is a nice machine and I have found about the same amount of goodies with it. The screen is no problem unless you hunt after dark and then because of no back light you cannot see the screen. Very easy to use too. HH

The Garrett AT Pro is really good deal for $595, or possibly a bit less in a phone or e-mail quote. The used ones on that big auction site are often getting close to new price.

If that's too expensive, the new Teknetics Eurotek Pro is only $219 with 8" concentric coil, or $299 with 11" DD coil. A video on You Tube shows it gets a 6" deep dime in test garden with sensitivity 7 out of 10 & it's stable enough to run it hotter than that. The ID is often good to 8". I saw the numbers jumping in a narrow range. Depth reading in non-motion pinpoint to 9". Iron response loud, soft, or silent with flash. Detects coins close to junk. New proprietary design for bad ground. HH, George (MN)

Back
Top Bottom