Where would you recommend purchasing from?

TreasureHunter9

Hi guys, I'm on the lookout for purchasing my first metal detector. After looking around this site I have an idea of what is good enough for a beginner like myself. I have been searching on eBay for one within my budget but was told by a couple of people on other sites that they would recommend against buying second hand detectors off eBay. What are your ideas on this? The plan was to get something decent but 2nd hand as I feel I am going to get more value for my money that way but I honestly have no idea. What do you think?

Thanks

Bart from Big Boy Hobbies, he is just great!!!!
I sent a lot of people to him, nothing but good stuff to say on Bart's deals plus he is there for you after the sale with any questions you might have! Let me know how it goes.

Phone: 405-206-9010
E-Mail: [email protected]

I just bought an Etrac and some other goodies from chuck at Indian nations detectors and I couldn't have been happier with the price and the service. he was cheaper by quite a bit than anyone else so I went that way
I have also bought from Bart at big boy hobbies as well and he was good to deal with as well

I have purchased from Big Boys Hobbies, Colonial and Metaldetectorspot.com. All are sponsors here and I have had excellent service from each.

Cheers for the replies guys I guess I have worded my question wrong. I'm basically wanting to know if you would recommend buying second hand metal detectors at all? Also, I appreciate the info for different dealers, phone numbers etc but I'm from the uk so can't really start calling American dealers, ill definitely email a few of them though cheers.

i decided to keep my F2 when i ordered my Etrac just for the fact that if someone wanted to try out the hobby i would have another machine to let them use. and i have a young boy that just turned 5 and he loves to go with me and dig for treasure so it will be a good unit for him to get started on in a year or so

Generally, unless you know exactly what you are getting into, no. There are a number of great entry level detectors out there.
I started with a White's Coinmaster at $180 and I still enjoy using it.
You didn't mention your budget but this has the often recommended F2, a basic pinpointer, and a sniper coil for $215. Hard to beat. http://bigboyshobbies.net/shop/fisher-f2-pin-pointer-kit/

I don't think you can go wrong with virtually any of the forum sponsors, but New England Detectors is who I have purchased from. I got a great deal, great customer service and received the detector very quickly!

Doug

Not ebay! You could probably contact some of the sponsers on this site and buy one new for the same price as a used one on ebay. On ebay md's seam to sell used for about 10% to 20% off the full price. Depending on what your looking for there are also some good deals on used ones on this forum you just have to check often and be ready to jump on it. Be sure to get quotes from sponsers first though.

I ordered my F75 from Bart from big boy hobbies, I was so impressed I bought my buddy one. He's going to pay me back he just didn't want the better half to see it on the credit card :laughing:. He almost bought it at a local metal detecting store but the owner wouldn't budge on the price, I told my buddy that I'll get a better price and since I'm going to my parents place on Sunday I'll be able to give it to him. He's very happy and he doesn't have the machine yet!

Bart at Big Boys Hobbies is the only one I deal with from now on. He always answers the phone and your questions and ships super fast.

Check out the forums sponsor's websites. Quite a few sell used detectors that they got through trades and will test the detector and verify it works as expected before reselling it to you. A few that I know do this are Backwoods Detectors, Indian Nations Detectors, and I'm not sure about Big Boy Hobbies but Bart is good to deal with. I'm sure there are others so check out their sites.

All very good suggestions but $180.00 ain't gonna go a long ways if your thinkin about buying here in the US. By the time you factor in shipping, import duties, insurance and God know what else your country requires there prolly won't be a whole lotta money left.
I would maybe go to Gary's detecting forum, they are in the UK and check out used machines after you get all your research done.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom