caster or pulley...?

007tallguy

Elite Member
had perfect weather and got out and punished some muscles for several hours. :lol:

i started searching a large hay field and turned up this little item. it's brass with a steel insert and looks very much like an old caster from an old piece of furniture, possibly a piano, organ, bureau, china cabinet, etc...
the odd thing i noticed that gives me some doubt is that groove in the wheel. could it possibly be a pulley and not a caster? or did something else go in that groove?
even considering it's age and that beautiful green patina on it, it still has the same basic design that our modern office chairs use. :yes:
it was about 8 inches deep in the middle of the field.
thanks in advance for any input. :D

Pete

Attachments

• IMAG0390.jpg
    IMAG0390.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 275
  • IMAG0394.jpg
    IMAG0394.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 281
  • IMAG0397.jpg
    IMAG0397.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 281
  • IMAG0400.jpg
    IMAG0400.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 282
  • IMAG0401.jpg
    IMAG0401.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 287
I don't think it's a caster because of the groove in the pulley like part. I believe it is a guide wire holder

or maybe even from a clothesline? it's hard to say how long the steel part was originally and i can't even tell if it was threaded or not (too rusted).
of course there' no writing on it anywhere. and there doesn't appear to be any kind of wear in that groove from repeated use of something being pulled through it. i've seen wooden casters, but would this one be modern enough to have had rubber in that groove?
don't ya just love this hobby and some of the mystery it brings! :D :lol:

or maybe even from a clothesline? it's hard to say how long the steel part was originally and i can't even tell if it was threaded or not (too rusted).
of course there' no writing on it anywhere. and there doesn't appear to be any kind of wear in that groove from repeated use of something being pulled through it. i've seen wooden casters, but would this one be modern enough to have had rubber in that groove?
don't ya just love this hobby and some of the mystery it brings! :D :lol:

Thats what i was thinking when i said caster, it seems like a rubber seal may have went into the groove at one point. Anyways good luck i hope someone can 100% ID your find. HH

Back
Top Bottom