Newbie getting nothing but junk and a rash

I have been detecting for a few weeks and it hasn't been fun.

My detector, a Nox 800, is great. It can (and has) found a tiny speck of metal 10 inches down. In fact, I am amazed that I can wave it around in a field and detect such small things.

But all I have to show for it are a bunch of nails, tiny pieces of wire, an old broken cell phone, a baseball cap (surface find), and allergic rashes on my neck and arms.

Today, with high hopes, I went to a golf course that's been closed for a few years. Found nothing near the surface. The weeds were high and I gave up after about 45 minutes. The only thing I got after digging down about 8 inches was a 1" long piece of rusted wire.

Besides the cap, the only thing of possible value I spotted (above ground) is a very nice set of tubular chrome bumpers under some trees near a parking lot. I left them untouched because I fear that someone might have stashed them there after stealing them off of a truck.

Anyway, I am probably going to give it a couple more months and then give up unless I find something I like (in the ground, not above).

sell it, and purchase a "tesoro mojave,if you can find one! $251.10 "on the hoof!"
have a ton of fun, and FIND stuff too! set it for all coins, and have a "ball!"..invest the difference in the "stock market!"..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

OP, that's a fine offer by one of the forums regulars. If I were you I'd be all over that. Nothing like sharing quality time with an experienced detectorist. However, from my readings, he never finds Large Coppers. We're knee deep in them.
Nice offer Tom. Karma brother, karma.

he doesn't find any,cuz he refuses to hunt where the "great unwashed" have done the " dirty!"..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

This afternoon I went to a fairly new park. Didn't expect anything good -- just a good place to practice. I had the detector in "Park 1".

My initial targets were very deep -- at least 8 to 10 inches. After a few of those and finding nothing worthwhile I came up with a better strategy. I decided to dig only the near surface targets that my Garrett stick could detect at ground level.

That strategy helped a lot. Then I started finding stuff an inch or two down without much effort.

Found 2 memorial cents, some nails, bottle caps, pull tabs, a crushed can, and a toy car in a vollyball sand pit.

On my way back to my truck I discovered something interesting about my Nox 800. I saw a bent piece of rusty iron on the surface. I waved the detector over it and not a peep from it. The detector did a great job discriminating surface iron. But not so well with iron buried in the ground (nails, etc). Has anyone else noticed that with the Nox 600/800?

Buried iron targets develop a chemical halo around them in the dirt that is also very conductive and can be read by a good detector. The iron itself is also decaying and has different conductive qualities because most modern iron is alloyed. The Nox multi frequencies can read all of those various parts of the buried iron and give some pretty jumpy numbers and tones which is one way to know it is iron. Iron on the surface has much less of a halo and is easier for the Nox to detect accurately and discriminate it out in default Park 1.

The Nox identifies buried iron/steel alloy targets very well once the detector user learns the characteristics of those targets compared to more desirable targets. I use a little threshold tone in the background when I use Park 1. The continuous threshold tone will waver or drop out when it passes over most buried iron targets which are discriminated out in default Park 1. If I get a good target ID number in the US coin or jewelry range and hear that threshold waver it is usually iron. I press the horseshoe button to check. Usually the iron target will give good numbers in one direction and negative numbers at right angle direction.
There are other ways to figure out iron identification. Practice with some buried iron targets vs buried good targets.
Jeff

Buried iron targets develop a chemical halo around them in the dirt that is also very conductive and can be read by a good detector. The iron itself is also decaying and has different conductive qualities because most modern iron is alloyed...
Great info, thanks. When I'm digging sometimes I can see rust colored dirt before I find the metal.

I'll have to find some better places to detect.

Last edited:
I have had some good clad days in new parks. The new ones don't get hunted as much as our old historical parks.
I think a mistake I made and a lot of new hunters make is turning the sensitivity up all the way to get the deep targets. The only time I have the atpro sens more than halfway is in the woods when targets are scarce, if I'm just playing in the park half or a little less works fine.

I was also very frustrated at the amount of junk I was digging when I first started. I looked real hard for a large sturdy tree to wrap mu machine around. Then a silver quarter came out of the dirt. Then a silver dime. Then a bunch of wheat pennies and I was hooked solid. As time passed I began to learn what my machine was telling me. It takes time and a lot of digging to learn. As previously said Location, Location. You can not find it if it isn't there. You have to detect places where people have congregated, Played. etc.

Went to a baseball field this afternoon. No finds to write home about but I learned a lot.

Anyway, I've got this detector figured out and now I am better at knowing when to dig and when to leave it. But, most importantly, I need to hunt better locations.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Last edited:
Look online and find a VDI chart for the nox. It’s sometimes a number or 2 off but it’s a baseline for starting out. Test different coins, rings, bottle caps etc. on yours and take note of the number. I just got mine last week and I also jot down the number and what I found when I’m out detecting. Doing these things I’ll learn what to dig or not dig. I made myself an excel chart. The online charts show the find first. I changed mine to show the number first. I find that easier to use. But be aware that gold and rings etc can be all kinds of different numbers. I’m learning more every day. I’m still digging everything but I figured I’d start out where there is not a lot of trash.

Attachments

• 81DD9758-12A0-41DD-83B4-829BE80C2754.jpg
    81DD9758-12A0-41DD-83B4-829BE80C2754.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I took your advice and found this: https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/blog/minelab-equinox-metal-detector-id-chart-numbers-quick-reference-guide/

Thanks, that will be very helpful.

The other consideration is target depth. So far I have noticed that in grass fields the good stuff is near the surface (a few inches). Going over six inches I have tended to find construction debris. So if my Garrett stick doesn't detect it I don't dig it.

But when I go to the beach (haven't yet), I'll go as far down as necessary.

The recently lost stuff is near the surface. The good stuff that has been lost for a long time will usually be much deeper. Leave the deep stuff for those of us who like finding old coins etc.

This is not the easiest hobby to learn and it takes a bit of time to learn where to hunt how to hunt and what your machine is telling you. Don't expect instant gratification.

the others are right about location. do your research. my area (north Atlanta) is not so good compared to other areas of the country, especially the north industrial states. But I have a friend who gets out and does his research and knocks on doors and does quite well hunting older homes in East georgia or at one of our bigger lakes hunting in the water and the beach with his 800.

I found myself getting lazy and just hitting close by locations. Guess what, if you are not hunting over areas where people have been living or having fun, then you just are not going to find much.

use historicaerials.com to look at old topo maps for small squares (houses) or black square outlines (uninhabited buildings) and compare to modern maps or aerial photos and this will give you a start and finding old home sites and hopefully not under a road, parking lot or office buildings.

don't give up. Hit volley ball courts and tot lots. You will find some good stuff there.

when you want more practice with the 800 go hit a real trashy park in terms of pop tops, etc. Great place to practice and you might even find something.
As you get better depending on the type of hunting, think about a 6" and 15" coil.

Last edited:
I haven't found deep silver yet but I have found silver. All in the top 4”. Wheat pennies I’ve found deep. It’s location, luck, and detecting pressure that will determine your finds.

Since my original post here I have had better hunting sessions, especially since I have put more time and thought into finding locations to work.

I have found some very old square nails and am up to about $1.50 in clad. Still no old coins or rings. Hopefully will do better when I hunt the beaches in Kauai later this spring.

Back
Top Bottom