Indiana Jones would have freaked out

I've hunted Brandy Station/Culpepper too and you're right about H-O-T ground, worst I've ever tried to hunt in.
You ain’t kiddin, I got pretty skunked on the one paid hunt I went to down there. Only guys finding anything had the super expensive PI machines.

Got out to a little area today that has produced a few good CW finds in the past. I came upon a large uprooted tree with several feet of dirt stuck to the bottom of the roots. I was hopeful with anticipation as scenarios like that are always good in a civil war area. I had previously found a nice dropped Sharps here the same way; I visually saw it sticking out of the dirt around the roots.

Well, I walked around to the back side of these roots and sure enough, there’s the bottom of a dropped three ringer staring at me. Sweet! I got a few shots of it before I plucked it out and then did an air test over it with my detector. Doing so confirmed what I had suspected but hoped against, my detector ain’t working too well anymore. I couldn’t get it to ring out clearly at more than about 5 inches, and it only rang correctly one way. The other way produced iron tone. I can usually get about a foot out on air tests with bullets. So, that sucks and explains why I haven’t found much in my last several times out. Time to save up for the Equinox I suppose.

So, I figured there might be more bullets hiding in there, especially since my detector could barely make them out. I start spading out large chunks of dirt and spreading it out below. I did manage one more three ringer, but then one of my shovel plunges gave me a shock......I almost cut into a black snake! I think I actually grazed the poor thing but didn’t cut into him. I messed with him for a minute and got some shots. He came out the front of the roots in the front, but then backed up again into a space I couldn’t see.

I worked my way around to the front of the roots continuing to excavate dirt. Suddenly I see a second large black snake fall out, AND THERE’S A THIRD BEHIND THAT ONE! Holy smokes, never dug into a den before. It’s funny cuz I had just told my mother yesterday, who is deathly afraid of snakes, that I had only run into two snakes my whole 13 years of detecting. And today I run into three at once, pretty ironic. Oh well, glad I got me some lead and glad I didn’t chop into the snakes, I like snakes.

Oh yeah, the second bullet turned out to be a star base Washington Arsenal, so that was cool. I have only found a handful of those over the years, including one in my own back yard where I grew up.

Also, see if you can make out the three ringer as I saw it in the full root picture.

give you a little hint about snakes. when they are in things like bushes, trees, holes, etc and you try to pull them out they expand causing their bottom scales to poke out more and catch on everything they can to keep you from pulling them out. You risk hurting the snake. Just leave them be.

In my teen years my friends and I hunted snakes for one summer. kept them in cages for a few weeks and let them go. Then that fall we found out that chasing girls was more fun.

Awesome bullets congrats.

At first one of the pics looks like you are actually pulling a snake out of a hole. Then I think to myself, what the he!! Would any normal person be doing pulling a snake from a hole it wants to go into. So it must be an optical illusion. After all you would either have to have nads the size of Basketballs or your elevation may go to the top, but it's spilling a whole lot of corn. :laughing:

give you a little hint about snakes. when they are in things like bushes, trees, holes, etc and you try to pull them out they expand causing their bottom scales to poke out more and catch on everything they can to keep you from pulling them out. You risk hurting the snake. Just leave them be.

In my teen years my friends and I hunteyd snakes for one summer. kept them in cages for a few weeks and let them go. Then that fall we found out that chasing girls was more fun.

I actually know plenty about them and have owned several. I know the one pic looks like I was pulling hard on the snake but I wasn’t. I just extended him out to take the pic and then let him be. Wasn’t being overly harsh with it at all.

Back
Top Bottom