Coin Roll hunting Question crazy halves

mindsweepur

OK so today all the bank had was a single roll of halves. I got it. I'm pretty new to coin roll hunting, as well as metal detecting (since Nov of last year), anyway I've bought rolls of dimes but this was my first roll of halves and they only had 1 roll in the vault so I bought it. Anyway the whole roll contained all bicentennial halves and a single 1968-D I would assume this is pretty uncommon. If not please let me know. I also think one of the bicentennials had a die break or die issue because the D looks like a blob on the coin. I will try to take some pictures later tonight since I just now got home from work.

Anyway I was just curious if I just stumbled across a roll of bicentennials someone had stashed and cashed in or what. It was a hand made roll of halves not one done by a machine. I will take pics of the odd coin....anyway I was born in 1976 but don't really think I need this many 1976 halves....please tell me what you have experienced with coin roll hunting and do I need this many bicentennials just to save or cash them in? Thanks for the help!!
:?:

As if you didn't already know, keep the 40% for sure :lol:. As for the 1976s, I would keep the one that you mentioned. please post a pic.

i posted this the same time tater did. Didn't want anyone thinking that my reply was a "diss" to tater. it wasn't. The 68d is 40%. Tater and I just posted at about the same time.

Halves!

I coin roll halves and here is what you want to look for:

1970-1965 are 40% silver
1964 and prior are 90% silver.

Also, watch for "S" mintmark coins as they are proof coins. Look for these key years: 1987, 2002 and later. 2008 and 2009 are the lowest mint years on record for the Kennedy half: 1.7 million coins minted for "P" and 1.7 million coins minted for "D".

You are VERY lucky to find silver in 1 roll. I get 4-$500 boxes of halves a week (50 rolls per box = 200 rolls per week) and I typically will find 1-2 silvers per box. This past week was the worse: 2-40% silvers in 4 stinkin boxes!!!@ WHAAAAA!!!

WOW ok thanks guys, I'll try to get a picture of the one up in a couple hours or so....I still haven't taken my shoes off yet since I've been home but TGIF!! I looked at it at 20X and its a big ole blob on the mint mark, I will be back with pics in a couple hours or so, I still have a bit of daylight left. :wow:

coin rolling

I tried coin rolling once at the local branch bank I often go to. Bought a roll of quarters, and a roll of pennies..
Now..because it's a branch bank, the tellers can't 'choose' a roll.. they 'buy' a roll, transfering a bill, or bills to a machine that deposits the roll.
The quarter roll turned out to be all first day issues of the 2008 Hawaii state quarters...
The penny was a 'hand rolled' with various Lincoln memorials from the early '70s, to mid 2000's. They weren't able to sell me a roll of half dollars, but they said I could buy what they had on hand in their change trays. I passed for now.
Dusty Eagle

OK I got excited and took some pics outside on a glass table we have. I also took some pics of the garden if you'd like to see :P Anyway I cropped these as much as I could but it looks like to me its like a big glob in the middle of the D, it makes me think of solder(I'm an electronics and computer guy) but it isn't. I can take some real good inside pics if you would like to see some more, I uses a canon rebel to take the pics but this is the first time I tried to magnify with a loop for a pic so they might not be good enough, let me know and I will snap away more! Thanks all, I love this site..... :D

WOW ok thanks guys, I'll try to get a picture of the one up in a couple hours or so....I still haven't taken my shoes off yet since I've been home but TGIF!! I looked at it at 20X and its a big ole blob on the mint mark, I will be back with pics in a couple hours or so, I still have a bit of daylight left. :wow:

Attachments

• IMG_4194c (Medium).jpg
    IMG_4194c (Medium).jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_4203c (Medium).jpg
    IMG_4203c (Medium).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_4211c (Medium).jpg
    IMG_4211c (Medium).jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 364
Back
Top Bottom