Whites MTX or AT Pro?

Wow !! what a deal. I thought that I had stolen mine for $350 on Craiglist and all I got was the detector and coil. Great buy ..

There are a number of differences that affect your detecting. Weight and coil type are the biggest. Do a little research into coil types, frequencies, number of tones, indicator, and vdi. Then look again.

Both have differences you will like and dislike. ATP is water proof, but, because it is uses a proprietary plug that requires Garrett headphones, an adaptor or third party phones with a compatible jack. The MXT uses a standard 1/4" jack, but is not waterproof. The MXT has more tones and Target ID segments, adjustable threshold but fixed ground balance.

Yes, they took the time to demo, and explain, each switch & control, then had me work with it for a short time. They also gave a video of the directions,, a card, told me to call any time, and contact information to the detecting club they belong to.

I will throw my recent decision out there for you.

I too was trying to pick between those two machines. I chose the AT pro mainly because it is waterproof and I do some beach hunting and have several creeks and old swimming holes I wanted to hunt this year.

I've got about 6 hours on mine now and so far so good. There is always a learning curve on a machine but I really like the tones and the pinpointing feature so far.

There are a number of differences that affect your detecting. Weight and coil type are the biggest. Do a little research into coil types, frequencies, number of tones, indicator, and vdi. Then look again.

Both have differences you will like and dislike. ATP is water proof, but, because it is uses a proprietary plug that requires Garrett headphones, an adaptor or third party phones with a compatible jack. The MXT uses a standard 1/4" jack, but is not waterproof. The MXT has more tones and Target ID segments, adjustable threshold but fixed ground balance.

The MXT does not have more tones, it is a one tone machine in coin and jewelry mode and can be two tone in relic mode. The MXT is not a fixed ground balance machine, it has auto ground tracking that can be locked if needed. As far as weight goes the MXT is much better balanced than the AT Pro which with the stock coil is nose heavy. Waterproofing is the biggest advantage to the AT Pro.

MTX vs AT Pro

MTX is a strong machine , goes deep and a is great for relics and coin-shooting but has a weight issue if your into that , If
your not going into the lakes or Ponds go with the MXT in my opinion.

I've been swinging a CTX regularly for two years now. My machine before the CTX was a MXT Pro.

Don't get me wrong....I LOVE the Minelab, but the MXT can hold it's own against it in almost any hunting condition on dry land with the right coil.

I would actually probably lean towards the MXT if relic hunting or in a seeded hunt with shallow targets.

The CTX has lots of bells and whistles but the CTX is a heavy hitter.

The MXT Pro does NOT do well on wet beach sand but that is the only weakness I have found.

Multi-tones, backlight, easy to change coils, inexpensive coils, simple analog controls, etc...what's not to like?

You stole that detector for that price!

If your main objective is to get to work, you can drive a Honda or a Ferrari with often the same results...

Thank you all for the very informative information!!

I bought the MXT for the cost alone. I believed the AT Pro vs MXT was probably a push. The AT having the capability for water search, and the MXT having a slight bonus in depth, and better visuals.

I thought if I don't care for MD, or lose interest for some reason, I could probably sell iy for what I have in it.

So far, so good!

Thanks again,
Richard

White's owner operator here I have both the MXT pro and V3I I've owned the AT pro and sold it I didn't care for it but you'll find many who disagree with me.
The MXT is a great machine and you'll like it the only thing I don't care for and it may be because I run my sensitivity fairly high it's a little noisy at times.

White's owner operator here I have both the MXT pro and V3I I've owned the AT pro and sold it I didn't care for it but you'll find many who disagree with me.
The MXT is a great machine and you'll like it the only thing I don't care for and it may be because I run my sensitivity fairly high it's a little noisy at times.

The MXT is a great machine and it has an extensive selection of coils available from White's. Some find the MXT a little too noisy. Check this old thread out. http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=14710

If anyone would like to more seriously explore the MXT, here is an excellent place to start. http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=23861

I have a about 7 year old MXT 300 (not the Pro) and just love it! The adjustments are quick and easy. I like to run the Gain and Threshold as high as I can for the conditions. We had a member here, John aka Lowjiber, who liked to say he liked to run his on "the edge of insanity!" :laughing: You don't want it to "buzzy" to drown out those faint signals. It was great for the dry sand, but it's downfall comes as you get into the wet/hard back salt beach sand. So, that is why I have PI and GT as well! :D:cool:

Back
Top Bottom