Full Field Review- Minelab Pro Swing 45 vs. Swingy Thingy vs HipStick

pocketspill

Elite Member
I just completed a real-world field test (10 hunts) comparing the Minelab Pro Swing, the HipStick and the Swingy Thingy.

No bias, bought all with my own money. I don't sell any of these nor do I receive any form of compensation for the reviews.

Detecting will never be the same for me - long hunts are now more dependent on sunlight than my shoulder.

http://www.detecting.us/2013/09/13/swingaidsreview/

Your feedback and experiences welcome!

You forgot the detecting buddy and limbsaver.......

I have both and use the detecting buddy exclusively with my sov gt.

It is a good sling.

I would by the Minelab, but would need to try it first.

Thanks for your review.

You forgot the detecting buddy and limbsaver.......

I have both and use the detecting buddy exclusively with my sov gt.

It is a good sling.

I would by the Minelab, but would need to try it first.

Thanks for your review.

I'm sure there are several more out there to try I've not even heard of. But after this review I'm certain that if the sling doesn't transfer the load of the machine to the belt area via a solid rod of some type, it's probably not going to work very well for me.

I agree-- put the detector attachment on the handle of the detector-perfectly balanced!! TONY az:cool:

I've been thinking of how it might be possible to make a bracket that would wrap around the handle and leave a hooking point that rides above your thumb. Using metal zip ties would give rigidity but remain low profile and then heavy duty handle wrap could be used to finish it off.

This is a concept drawing for such...

picture.php

I used the thing exactly as shown in the video and gave it a fair shot, even trying two different lengths of sticks before making my judgement. I think it's a good product - but I stand by the review's conclusions.

As far as Minelab copying it - I don't see it. The concept of weight transfer is the same, but the rest is very different.

I'm not a gold prospector, and I'm using a Minelab E-trac - perhaps it would work better with the GPX, I don't know.

HH

I recently bought a Detecting Buddy & initially thought it was going to be great. But on the second day out, the bungee broke. I e-mailed Extreme Detecting about purchasing a replacement over a week ago and haven't heard from them yet. I don't believe I will.

I recently bought a Detecting Buddy & initially thought it was going to be great. But on the second day out, the bungee broke. I e-mailed Extreme Detecting about purchasing a replacement over a week ago and haven't heard from them yet. I don't believe I will.

If they don't replace it, look into getting one of the Minelab bungees. As my review discusses, it has the adjustment at the top, not the bottom, which makes a lot more sense than the DB bungee - at least for me.

Did you notice my advice on where to attach the harness to the E-trac? It's counter intuitive but really works well.

Your review was neutral and unbiased, yet spot-on for each assessment Scott!

I've also tested the pro-swing, docs swingy-thingy, and a few hand crafted versions. I'd like to add that most people can simulate Docs swingy unit by simply attaching a long bungy from the back of their pants (belt or belt loop), over their shoulder and then use a velco strip to attach the end of the bungee to the handle of their detector. This setup effectively allows the bungee to support the MD's weight, but once you start to swing, you will quickly relate to the awkward pull that effects your swing technique.

-David

Just a follow up. I did hear from Extreme Detecting. I thought they were the parent supplier for the Detecting Buddy & I ask them about purchasing a replacement bungee (I bought it from Serious Detecting on Ebay but knew they did not have parts). At first Extreme Detecting offered to sell me a new harness at retail price, then they offered to replace the bungee & wanted proof of purchase, & when they found out I bought it from Serious Detecting they said "no". I broke it on my mistake so I'm not going to con Serious Detecting into swapping it. I won't chase this any more for a $25 harness but wanted the results posted.

Thanks for the great review. I received a ProSwing 45 for Christmas. I installed the included detector attachment point on the grip as you recommned in your review and I loved the balance. Once I got the harness adjusted to fit me it works great. The E-Trac just seems to float. I am actually able to hunt with a loose hand on the grip, just using my thumb and index finger to manuever the detector back and forth in its' arc.

I went for my first hunt yesterday and even after a non stop 5 hour hunt, my usually sore and achy shoulder was fine. I'll never go back to not using it.

I like your idea of a different attachment. I am heading to the hardware store today to see what I can come up with.

Back
Top Bottom