First Dig With HF Pin Pointer Mod

LOL I thought the same thing! I guess if I had to have a cavity search I would prefer the cen-tech over the garrett any day! :lol: Now that we have that out of the way.......I bought a Nokta RS and it was described as a pinpointer and I tried to check out the co. before buying it but not much to be found. It was $95.00 free shipping and came with a gator tool I needed anyways so I got it knowing the slide switch would be an issue in the mud. It does the random incessant beeping that people describe the garrett as doing. Turn it off and back on and cured for awhile. But now that we have mud the switch has been giving me fits and I've opened the case twice now to clean it out. Not bitching or complaining and not a moron either, making an informed statement that may or may not help someone in this forum. If it does, great! If not, who really cares? I am an auto tech. and don't mind tinkering and fixing problems, heck I spent 15 yrs. fixing potential lemon law cars for General Motors and if I have to redesign how the pointer works because it was engineered wrong then that is just right up my alley. I ordered a push button microswitch with a waterproof rubber cover for $4.00 but for now I am thinking about putting a condom over the thing for the weekend. Problem is, I think I may have the only 16 yr old boy in town that doesn't have one? Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.....:?:

That is what I am doing as the Garrett is proven but there are a lot of people who buy something trying to get something for nothing, my mother is like that, and that is fine but when people complain because something is "junk" yet they continue to use it out of its intended purpose then something is wrong with that person.

Stick with what is made for the job and you will be so much happier then, and only then, if something breaks, or goes wrong, can you actually complain about it. Go get that Minelab 36 dollar job and at least it was made to look down holes not up into human ones.

Thanks for the post DarkPrognosis. I believe the Minelab you recommend may be a much better alternative for a back-up pin pointer and I'm checking it out right now. I hope my GPP lasts forever but there is always the possibility the next time I lose it, or it gets terminally broke, I'll need a (cheap IS good) back up. I don't sell, or even endorse Garrett, or any other metal detecting product, I'm just a older guy who likes to stick with something I've found that works for ME. I do own the other hand held metal detector, it is a good little machine for the entry level MDer, but lacks the qualities normally expected for more advanced digging.

AT Pro/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/Bounty Hunter Outback/HF Hand Held

LOL I thought the same thing! I guess if I had to have a cavity search I would prefer the cen-tech over the garrett any day! :lol: Now that we have that out of the way.......I bought a Nokta RS and it was described as a pinpointer and I tried to check out the co. before buying it but not much to be found. It was $95.00 free shipping and came with a gator tool I needed anyways so I got it knowing the slide switch would be an issue in the mud. It does the random incessant beeping that people describe the garrett as doing. Turn it off and back on and cured for awhile. But now that we have mud the switch has been giving me fits and I've opened the case twice now to clean it out. Not bitching or complaining and not a moron either, making an informed statement that may or may not help someone in this forum. If it does, great! If not, who really cares? I am an auto tech. and don't mind tinkering and fixing problems, heck I spent 15 yrs. fixing potential lemon law cars for General Motors and if I have to redesign how the pointer works because it was engineered wrong then that is just right up my alley. I ordered a push button microswitch with a waterproof rubber cover for $4.00 but for now I am thinking about putting a condom over the thing for the weekend. Problem is, I think I may have the only 16 yr old boy in town that doesn't have one? Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.....:?:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:Love the condom suggestion and have actually considered it myself. Mine are all too large but I'll be getting a supply of smaller one's later this week and if you PM me I'll send you one:shock:.

AT Pro/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH Outback/ HF Hand Held

Well, I just see so many complain about a 17 dollar item that are using it for stiff that it was never intended to be used as that it has become monotonous.

It is not the tinkerers, who know from the get go that they are going to tinker with it AND that it will be used out of "spec", that I am talking about as there is a difference in tone, mentality, and everything else when I read their replies about the device.

Thanks for the post DarkPrognosis. I believe the Minelab you recommend may be a much better alternative for a back-up pin pointer and I'm checking it out right now. I hope my GPP lasts forever but there is always the possibility the next time I lose it, or it gets terminally broke, I'll need a (cheap IS good) back up. I don't sell, or even endorse Garrett, or any other metal detecting product, I'm just a older guy who likes to stick with something I've found that works for ME. I do own the other hand held metal detector, it is a good little machine for the entry level MDer, but lacks the qualities normally expected for more advanced digging.

AT Pro/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/Bounty Hunter Outback/HF Hand Held
Yeah, I am one of those who are a VERY brand neutral person and look at the CS as well as the product before I buy something. Minelab is a prime example as I really like their metal detectors but their customer service is so bad when you need them the most (because their product bit the dust somehow) that I will never purchase a Minelab metal detector until they get 1000% better in their CS.

As far the Garrett PP I just do not understand WHY they never added a stand out feature for their PP since so many lose the blasted thing and I can only surmise they don't so they keep getting new sales on it.

There are two things I see about the Garrett PP that they have done to keep, an otherwise battle hardened tank of a pointer, selling and that is putting a really craptastic switch in it when a standard 25k/50k make-break cycle switch wouldn't have cost them more than a few pennies at most AND they made the pointer with no real stand out features so once lost it is almost certainly gone in the under brush.

That is what I am doing as the Garrett is proven but there are a lot of people who buy something trying to get something for nothing, my mother is like that, and that is fine but when people complain because something is "junk" yet they continue to use it out of its intended purpose then something is wrong with that person.

Stick with what is made for the job and you will be so much happier then, and only then, if something breaks, or goes wrong, can you actually complain about it. Go get that Minelab 36 dollar job and at least it was made to look down holes not up into human ones.

I'm lost on the Minelab 36 dollar pin pointer. I did find one on ebay for $169.00 which nearly mimics the Garrett Pro Pointer in looks and performance except for the manual sensitivity setting, selection between audio on and vibrate only and the auto off feature. The Bounty Hunter Pin Pointer for $38.00 looks more promising as a back up pin pointer than the Cen-Tech hand held, but again, it's nearly triple the price of the HF hand held. I'm curious now and intend on doing some more research for my own reference in this area. I have noticed though that this topic seems to have exposed some overly sensitive nerve endings and, since I'm fresh out of hydrocortisone, I'll refrain from making my findings public on FMDF.

AT Pro/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH Outback/HF hand held

I'm lost on the Minelab 36 dollar pin pointer. I did find one on ebay for $169.00 which nearly mimics the Garrett Pro Pointer in looks and performance except for the manual sensitivity setting, selection between audio on and vibrate only and the auto off feature. The Bounty Hunter Pin Pointer for $38.00 looks more promising as a back up pin pointer than the Cen-Tech hand held, but again, it's nearly triple the price of the HF hand held. I'm curious now and intend on doing some more research for my own reference in this area. I have noticed though that this topic seems to have exposed some overly sensitive nerve endings and, since I'm fresh out of hydrocortisone, I'll refrain from making my findings public on FMDF.

Sorry, I said Minelab I meant the Bounty Hunter one but it goes by various other names but all look, and perform, the same. http://www.walmart.com/ip/10629147
btw, the Minelab 169 dollar pinpointer is not near as good as the Garrett PP (I posted a vid showing how bad it is in direct hole for hole comparison).

Sorry, I said Minelab I meant the Bounty Hunter one but it goes by various other names but all look, and perform, the same. http://www.walmart.com/ip/10629147
btw, the Minelab 169 dollar pinpointer is not near as good as the Garrett PP (I posted a vid showing how bad it is in direct hole for hole comparison).

Thanks much DarkPrognisis; Tomorrow WALMART it is. I checked the local WALMART last week for whatever brand they sold and, when I saw none, I asked two different clerks where their metal detectors were. Both told me WALMART doesn't stock detectors of any kind:?::?: but a copy of your link should prove that to be wrong. There are stores in Puyallup and Spanaway, so one of them should stock the Bounty Hunter. If not, I'll order one for in-store pickup. It's really a sin that Big 5 Sporting goods stocks 3 or 4 models of Bounty Hunter Metal Detectors, but not one single pin pointer. I have a Bounty Hunter Outback which I inhereted from Moses...or was it Aaron. Anyway, it was used to scope out the bottom of the Red Sea as they crossed over...and it still works great for a entry level/back up machine.:aok:

I just viewed your Minelab VS Garrett Pro Pointer video and I suggest you repost it for others contemplating:juggle: spending a wad of money:tissue: on either pin pointer:sissyfight:.

It so easy to spend other people's money for them, like our government. Tools for any hobby, craft, or trade, come in different quality, price ranges. A $12 claw hammer works fine for most folks around the house, who pound nails occasionally, but would be more of a joke, among the other guys at a construction site, where you couldn't get a decent used hammer for under $100...

Part of learning to use tools properly, taking care of them, is breaking them, or losing them. Don't think I'd be quite as upset over losing, or breaking my $17 pinpointer, as I have been with my Propointer's failures, or if I lost or misplaced it. $127.50 isn't exactly pocket change for me, but then again, I never really walk around with more than I'm actually going to need.

If you take the time, and learn to pinpoint with your main detector, you don't need to rely so much on the handheld pinpointer, don't even need to use it every hole. A pinpointer is nice, in that you don't have to feel around in the dirt with your fingers, finding nasty sharp things the painful way. I really don't concern myself with time or productivity, do that all week for a paycheck. Detecting is my escape from the everyday routine. Probably not as driven as most people here, I'm simply out to relax and have some fun on my time off. I hope to dig up some good stuff, but don't get disappointed, when it's a mostly trash day (frequent), since I didn't go out with any needs or expectations.

You need the right tool, for your needs and conditions. Use the tools as designed, and they will work well, abuse them, they break. Anybody ever break the tip off a screwdriver, prying the lid off a paint can? Guess that would happen with a $21 Snap-On screwdriver, but wouldn't know, since I would pay that much for one screwdriver, or use it for anything other than screws.

I don't abuse my tools (much), but the Propointer has completely failed twice, and needs to be repaired/replaced, again. This isn't $127.50 worth of quality to me, where I making do, quite well, with $17 tool. The fancy features, automatic operation, isn't enough to make me want a second one as a backup, to one that shouldn't be failing in the first place. A lifetime warranty, great customer service, is something you expect for tools, that won't actually need them.

I do wish the Centech had a sturdy case, the box shape is a little difficult in deep holes, but it works.

I just viewed your Minelab VS Garrett Pro Pointer video and I suggest you repost it for others contemplating:juggle: spending a wad of money:tissue: on either pin pointer:sissyfight:.

Done, and his video is what saved me 42 dollars and made my decision to stick with the Garrett when I finally buy a pointer.

It so easy to spend other people's money for them, like our government. Tools for any hobby, craft, or trade, come in different quality, price ranges. A $12 claw hammer works fine for most folks around the house, who pound nails occasionally, but would be more of a joke, among the other guys at a construction site, where you couldn't get a decent used hammer for under $100...

Part of learning to use tools properly, taking care of them, is breaking them, or losing them. Don't think I'd be quite as upset over losing, or breaking my $17 pinpointer, as I have been with my Propointer's failures, or if I lost or misplaced it. $127.50 isn't exactly pocket change for me, but then again, I never really walk around with more than I'm actually going to need.

If you take the time, and learn to pinpoint with your main detector, you don't need to rely so much on the handheld pinpointer, don't even need to use it every hole. A pinpointer is nice, in that you don't have to feel around in the dirt with your fingers, finding nasty sharp things the painful way. I really don't concern myself with time or productivity, do that all week for a paycheck. Detecting is my escape from the everyday routine. Probably not as driven as most people here, I'm simply out to relax and have some fun on my time off. I hope to dig up some good stuff, but don't get disappointed, when it's a mostly trash day (frequent), since I didn't go out with any needs or expectations.

You need the right tool, for your needs and conditions. Use the tools as designed, and they will work well, abuse them, they break. Anybody ever break the tip off a screwdriver, prying the lid off a paint can? Guess that would happen with a $21 Snap-On screwdriver, but wouldn't know, since I would pay that much for one screwdriver, or use it for anything other than screws.

I don't abuse my tools (much), but the Propointer has completely failed twice, and needs to be repaired/replaced, again. This isn't $127.50 worth of quality to me, where I making do, quite well, with $17 tool. The fancy features, automatic operation, isn't enough to make me want a second one as a backup, to one that shouldn't be failing in the first place. A lifetime warranty, great customer service, is something you expect for tools, that won't actually need them.

I do wish the Centech had a sturdy case, the box shape is a little difficult in deep holes, but it works.

Good points, another more expensive pp out there is the Tesoro Treasure Mate, it goes deep and built strong... but if money is no issue would go for the Sun Ray built in.

hh

re the complaints on the Cen-tech for me was mad at myself for buying such
a low quality tool, it kinda ah sorta works is best could say about it.

Good points, another more expensive pp out there is the Tesoro Treasure Mate, it goes deep and built strong... but if money is no issue would go for the Sun Ray built in.

hh

re the complaints on the Cen-tech for me was mad at myself for buying such
a low quality tool, it kinda ah sorta works is best could say about it.

No harm no foul.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?18,1147535 That thread sure was against the Treasure Mate.

Every point you make is excellent and easily understood. Any pin pointer, or no pin pointer is obviously a individual choice and isn't debateable unless you personally intend on digging the other guys targets. I have dug both with and without a pin pointer and I personally prefer to use one. The probability of losing my (when new) $127.00 Garrett Pro pointer is exactly the same as blowing a $130.00 tire on my car going to a area for metal detecting. In either case I won't quit metal detecting, I'll just buy another tire. I've lost a lot of things, and thank goodness other do too or metal detecting as a quest for treasure would quickly fall out of fashion. My Pro Pointer saves me a whole bunch of digging because I use it to check for surface targets all around the target my AT Pro has found. This has resulted in recovery of some coin spills with no more effort than sweeping the area with side of my digger. But again, you like etrac or Minelab at many hundreds of dollars cost more than my AT Pro.....I like my $127.00 Pro Pointer better than your $17.00 CenTech hand held.....it's a hobby so let's agree, meet for the dig, and go home tired and dirty. Last point being is that I am a career retiree and enjoy enjoying whatever I do. And I seriously doubt that whomever inherets my measly estate will miss the $127.00 I paid for the GPP, but, it's named in my will anyway.

Booger can you hear me? Gilbert can you hear me? just bought a Cen Tech:lol:
images_zpsb67945e3.jpg

As I have, and will continue to say, the Cen-Tech and the Garrett Pro Pointer are the only two pin pointers I have experience with. The Cen-Tech's price is reasonable for what you buy, and it does do the job of pin pointing, albeit for a limited time. I have no complaint about it other than those voiced by others, it's cheesy case, it's self destructive switch, etc., etc. On the other hand the Pro Pointer appears to be relatively bullet proof other than isolated switch problems, the speaker off-on problem, etc., etc. So, for example, in the Minelab pin pointer comparison test with the Pro Pointer the Minelab ($169.00) air tested better than the Pro Pointer ($127.50) by distances as small as 1/2 inch on a silver quarter. But, the ground tests all favored the Pro Pointer in what seemed to me to be a staged to fail contest. In some cases the Minelab beeped a weak beep or two rather than chirping like the ProPointer. I am certain though, that the Minelab pin pointer was not allowed to perform at it's best because it was withdrawn too quickly from the target area. It is my opinion that 1/2 inch of air difference or 1/4 inch more of dirt cannot make or break a pin pointer as being good/worse than any other. So, what is the determining factor used to determine if THIS one or THAT one is the pin pointer for you? Is it price, construction, dependability, appearance, the LED light, the gizmos to switch between things, warranty/customer follow-up........Or?

AT Pro/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH Outback/CT hand held

Caressing Mother Earth in such a way she gladly gives up her treasures.

Back
Top Bottom