CW property a big bust. Came home with 1 coin...

The Jersey Digger

Elite Member
So I have had permission from a customer of mine to hunt their property in Linden Virginia. There was Civil War activity all around it. I finally made the time to trek 3 hours out there with a couple buddies. When we get there it poured rain and never stopped. Their field still had hay in them and were basically undetectable. The woods in the mountains were nearly unpassable with all the thorns and brush. Pathways were non existent. They had 60 acres of land and maybe 1 acre was detectable. So even in the rain I got out my Etrac and started in an area that we could hunt. But by this time they had about 4" of rain and the ground was like walking in a swamp. My second target was reading 12-44 at about 6"-8" deep. Normally that is a memorial penny signal. Dug down and saw a copper. Ended up with a great shape 1806 Draped bust large cent my 20th copper on the year. Not what I was expecting on a property where the house is from around 1900. And the coin pre dates the Civil War by 50+years. After a little of hunting there we trekked out and didn't find a thing. Came back to the fields and hunted spots that were flat. I hit a solid 1-41 and was hoping for a silver dollar. Out came this thing that the back kinda resembles a belt plate. Could it be? Any experts here think so?

Well I have standing permission to come back again. Maybe in the winter when the hay is gone and the woods are better. Thanks for looking all and HH!!

Attachments

• photo 9.JPG
    photo 9.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 349
  • photo 10.JPG
    photo 10.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 360
  • photo 11.jpg
    photo 11.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 349
  • photo 12.jpg
    photo 12.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 349
  • photo 13.jpg
    photo 13.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 336
I spent three hours on a confederate campsite and pulled one wheatie and some bottlecaps a few days ago. Don't feel bad.

Back
Top Bottom