my quest to return a wedding band

blacksambellamy

last July while diving in Cape Cod bay i recovered a platinum wedding band approx value $1,500. I couldnt bring myself to pawn it although it would have bought me some nice scuba gear. Last week i listed it on craigslist.com in hopes someone would see it and maybe lead me to the owner. Well, i received an email from a reporter in Boston . He stated he was writing a story on lost and found items and why people feel the need to return things. I gave him the interview and tomorrow at 3pm they are sending a photographer to my house here in NJ to take pictures of me with the ring.
Personally, i cant see how this is news because to me returning the ring is the right thing to do. i guess not many people think like me. Anyway i will let u all know what paper it will be in.

lets hope this helps find the owner

If it doesn't have a name on it or a date then you are going to be giving away a ring to just about anyone... If I were you I would not devulge any clues about the ring that way only the true owner would be able to tell you if it has info on what it was. But the problem being with a wedding ring is it could be any person from anywhere in the world who visited the Mass. beach... Its just about impossible to find the owner of a wedding band... I have found half a dozen bands so far and a few wedding sets and I know I will never find the owners... Who knows when they lost them without dates or names... If it was a school ring you have a better chance.

You probably will have a lot of people contacting you and they all will be the owners :) Its a nice thought though.

Tell about a ring someone down here found 2 years ago... It was a platinum diamond ring with a 3 carat pink canary diamond in it.. I heard the guy who found it put it in lost in found in the area he found it and no one could describe it correctly so he had it resized for his wife and now she wears a ring worth $35,000. I wish I found it... I would be driving a brand new truck now ;)

I uderstand it is near impossible to find the owner but the associated press wanted to do a story after they saw my ad on craigslist.com so why not let them run it.

this is the website for the AP : http://www.ap.org/

should run this weekend

You never know - there could be a fairy tale ending to it.

Best of luck!

That is a noble thing to do, but, I have to agree with Craig. Get ready for people to start contacting you from in and everywhere. If there are no marks inside the band to identify, it's everyones who wishes they had it.
pop

Ok, the photographer came to my house and the story will run sometime between April 1-3. Being sent out by Associated Press so lets see if the papers pick it up. Hey, i agree its a long shot but it will never get returned if i don't try. And im getting free press so that should help a tad.

281_ring1.jpg

Stephen Klink sits in his Hillsdale, N.J., home Monday, March 27, 2006, as he holds up a solid platinum wedding ring that he found in 30 feet of water off Cape Cod, Mass. Klink recently posted a note on the Boston-area Craigslist Web site, hoping to find its owner. (AP Photo/Mel Evans)

281_ring2.jpg

A solid platinum wedding ring that Stephen Klink found in 30 feet of water off Cape Cod, Mass., sits in Klink's Hillsdale, N.J., home Monday, March 27, 2006, along with other objects that he has found with his underwater metal detectors. Klink recently posted a note on the Boston-area Craigslist Web site, hoping to find its owner. (AP Photo/Mel Evans) 

Whoa... It's going to run through the Associated Press?

Sounds like Cape Cod is going to get swamped with a bunch of new beach and water detectorists this year.

yes, the AP. As you and i know its not that uncommon to find a wedding band/ring while beach hunting. So i don't see how this makes a unique story. I guess they liked the fact that i posted an ad on craigslist.com. They also couldn't believe i just didn't pawn it. I explained the MD community is built upon honesty and respect and attempting to return lost items is commonplace.

blacksambellamy said:
. I explained the MD community is built upon honesty and respect and attempting to return lost items is commonplace.

Way to go Stephen, lets hope that part of the piece makes it past the editing.

Stephen;
Thanks for showing us all that there is indeed one more honest upstanding person in the world. <As well as our hobby> Doing the right thing... That's all the motivation we should need. I listened to an Army Sgt mention that <fighting for right> as one reason he had chosen service in our military. I wanted to hug an kiss him. Well, hug him anyway:-) I have found wedding bands but none have I had a clue for how to seek the rightful owner.
Keep swinging.
Jim

here is the link

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060402...mEcoeqs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3b2NibDltBHNlYwM3MTY-

By ANDREW RYAN, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 2 minutes ago

BOSTON - Maureen Silliman felt her empty pocket and gulped: Her new $300 iPod must have bounced out as she ran to catch a train. While she sobbed, her boyfriend suggested a message on the lost-and-found section of Craigslist, an online bazaar of classified ads.

"No," the 24-year-old Silliman said. "Nobody would ever turn in an iPod."

Her boyfriend posted the message anyway. Within 24 hours, Silliman's iPod was back.

In an increasingly cynical world, there are still places where people try to do the right thing. Everyday on Internet message boards, honest folks post notes about valuables they found: cash, bank cards, diamond bracelets, engagement rings, wedding bands, digital cameras, and even a cockatoo valued at $1,200.

In turn, when there is no place left to look for something missing, the desperate sometimes take the longest of longshots and look online themselves.

Occasionally, it works for both sides. People such as Silliman get back their iPod, still loaded with Radio Head and Broken Social Scene.

The impulse to be honest doesn't surprise Lawrence M. Hinman, the director of The Values Institute at the University of San Diego.

"I think we perceive ourselves as being much worse than we actually are," Hinman said. "There are people who live lives of quiet honesty."

Take Monique Peddle, 48, in Hollywood, Fla., who posted a note online when she found a diamond studded gold bracelet that she could have just as easily slipped quietly in her pocket. Or Blake Facente, 30, who also turned to Craigslist when he discovered a Dell Inspiron laptop leaning against his building in San Francisco.

The same for Agnes Satoorian, 27, who climbed into a cab in Boston last month and found a pricey digital camera that another rider had left behind.

"I know that pain," said Satoorian, who had recently lost her own camera loaded with sentimental pictures. "I decided I would try to make it right for someone."

Craig Newmark, the namesake and founder of Craigslist, said that the company added the lost-and-found message board in March 2003 after they noticed a proliferation of people looking for things that they were missing.

"The culture of trust is key, and the fact is that we work really hard at that," said Newmark, 53, who now has Web sites in 190 cities that boast more than 10 million users a month.

That means everyday there are new lost-and-found posts. Like the drawer in a school secretary's office where missing scarves wait to be claimed, the message boards accumulate a disparate collection of goods.

Some are outlandish.

The three teeth ? including a molar with a filing that needed replacing ? pick up in downtown Honolulu. The $100 bill found on a sidewalk on the Las Vegas strip. The man in Copenhagen who lost his ex-wife. Or the New Yorker who misplaced her clean-shaven cowboy and implored: "If found please send him to Queens."

In the lost column in Dublin, Ireland, a post under the heading, "$1 Million US reward," has a link to the     FBI's Ten Most Wanted poster for Boston fugitive mobster James "Whitey" Bulger.

"I just want him caught," said the post's author, reached through e-mail, who declined to elaborate or give his name.

Other posts are authentic, and even touching.

The 39-year-old woman in Frankfurt, Germany, looking for her birth mother (Bridgitte Siglinde Stolba). The Homestead, Fla., mother searching for a lost dog named Sparky that detects her 17-year-old epileptic son's seizures and barks for help. The 1-carat diamond engagement ring that slipped off a woman's finger in the hills outside Berkeley, Calif.

Success of the Lost and Found is difficult to measure. Craigslist does not track its sites, and the free posting are only valid for 30 days.

But as stories about triumphs like Silliman's iPod circulate, more people keep playing the odds.

Last Fourth of July, scuba diver Stephen Klink found a solid platinum men's wedding band buried in sand beneath 30 feet of water off Cape Cod. Klink, 36, recently posted a note on the Boston-area Craigslist.

"It's a long shot, but I figured it's worth a try," Klink said from his home in Hillsdale, N.J. "Some married guy somewhere is getting whopped on because he lost his wedding ring."

___

On the Net:

http://www.craigslist.com/laf/

Back
Top Bottom