Using Maps with birds eye view

YosemiteDig

I sometimes use maps like google and there are a few others but I have a question. When looking at 100's of acres of wooded areas in birds eye view, it looks like the sattelite imagery was done during winter because all the trees are brown and you can see the ground. My question is, why are there patches of green trees here and there? Could it be where old homesteads were that was torn down and trees planted there. It's got me stumped.
Appreciate the help!

If it's like this area, the woods are scattered with cedar trees, which stay green all year.

I agree with you Ed. When looking at the bird's eye images from my area, I can tell where the evergreen trees are compared to the other trees. It fooled me at first and I actually went into the local Forest Service office and asked them about that and they explained it to me.

Doug

All those photos weren't shot at the same time, adjoining areas can be shot months apart.
They're sort of stitched together after, editing out clouds and such.

There are also mistakes.
For instance, my house and yard are gone now, but all the houses on the other side of the street are still there.

I'll get over not being able to fool the tax collectors with the Google pictures, but I do feel like I mowed that lawn all summer for nothing.

Back
Top Bottom