• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

this thing has me stumped... (ID'd already!)

007tallguy

Elite Member
i found this little item this afternoon in between a really old house and the workshop near the house.
the only 2 things i'm really sure about are: the bottom is lead and those points ARE every bit as sharp as they look! :shock:
it doesn't appear to have any kind of attachment points on it, although there is a small ridge along the bottom of it. i highly doubt that it was a hair or clothing brush because it would do a major job of slicing up anything it touched.
and even though the lead is somewhat corroded, those points held up quite well with no rust visible on any of them. (must have been some good paint on the market back when this was made. :lol:)
here's a couple photos before and after washing it up. that's a penny beside it for a size reference.
any ideas on this thing??
thanks,

Pete

Attachments

• IMAG0334.jpg
    IMAG0334.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 480
  • IMAG0335.jpg
    IMAG0335.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 477
  • IMAG0336.jpg
    IMAG0336.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 476
  • IMAG0337.jpg
    IMAG0337.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 477
  • IMAG0338.jpg
    IMAG0338.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 486
http://www.save-on-crafts.com/sodefl.html

Here ya go! Some people collect the older ones, especially if there is a manufacturer's name on it or fancy design on the bottom.

Doug

i never would have guessed that in a million years! let's just say i'm not much of a gardener. :lol:
well, thank you very much Doug! and i think that has got to be one of the fastest ID's i've ever seen on here! :shock:
much appreciated sir! :yes:

Pete

i never would have guessed that in a million years! let's just say i'm not much of a gardener. :lol:
well, thank you very much Doug! and i think that has got to be one of the fastest ID's i've ever seen on here! :shock:
much appreciated sir! :yes:

Pete

:lol::lol::lol:

I worked with a lady who collected them. She knew I had some connections with some of the antique store owners and asked me to keep an eye out for unique ones for her. That thing could have hurt if you went into the hole fast and bare handed! :shock:

I think it's the first one I have ever seen posted.

Doug

:lol::lol::lol:

I worked with a lady who collected them. She knew I had some connections with some of the antique store owners and asked me to keep an eye out for unique ones for her. That thing could have hurt if you went into the hole fast and bare handed! :shock:

I think it's the first one I have ever seen posted.

Doug

well it certainly didn't look one bit familiar to me, whether from on here or from anywhere else for that matter, lol.
and my gloves are always on! some of the "sharps" i've seen and dug up have convinced me long ago to always use gloves. (and to never walk barefoot on a beach, lol)
this thing didn't even look sharp when it came out of the ground since those spikes were all full of dirt.
ok, thanks again. :grin:

Pete

If I can say one thing about this site, it is that i now know what more artifacts/relics are from the ID section here than I would have ever thought possible. WOW! This would have had me confounded....and Doug come up with an answer in, like, 2 minutes....holy cow!!! Great find and great ID!!!:gottaluv:

When I first saw the pic, I would have guessed that it was the head of a ground mole trap, but I'm glad you found a true answer, lol

Back
Top Bottom