Letter to Virginia USDA Forest Service

Crazy Ivan

Just sent this email off to the Forestry Service Dept in George Washington National Forest. I do some rock crawling and trail riding and know of some cool places i want to check. Here's a copy.

Hello.
Occasionally I travel to Crabtree Falls, Shoe Creek and Big Levels in George Washington National Forest for a little camping: generally during the fall. I was wondering if I might have permission to use my metal detector on my visits?
I am 48 years old. I am a resident of Virginia and have been since 1969. I am married and gainfully employed. I use to be a member of the Archaeological society of VA and I also attended VCU as an major in art history. In short I'm trying to say is that my intentions are not to disturb anything of historical significance and any such finds I would seek the proper authorities.
Lastly, I am always respectful in honoring the rights of private land owners in the area and I clean any trash I find.
Sincerely,
xxxxxxxx

Nice letter. Sounds like a winner to me! I hope you get permission. Be sure to post lots of pictures!

HH

-Mark

I sent a similar letter to the local office in my area (not as nicely worded or with as strong credentials). I was surprised with the answer.

I was told that if there were no signs posted I was allowed to use my metal detector in established or known camping areas, swimming holes, fishing areas, picnic areas, etc. The only restriction that I was if I found anything of historic value, I was to stop detecting immediately and report the find to the ranger station along with the exact location where it was found. They also asked me to be "kind" to the picnic areas that they keep mowed.

I was also told, with a permit, I could use my metal detector for "hobby mineral collecting", including gold. I had to give them the areas that I wanted to hunt and they would give me a permit. My area of the country has a lot of different "collectible" minerals.

Doug

That is a great sounding letter... I hope you get the permission you need!!

Good luck out there! :waytogo:

I carry a copy of the National forest

code on Metal detecting. The laws are very funny. You can hit the parking areas picnic areas ect stay out of historical areas.

Last year I spoke with a Park ranger to get his opinion on MDing he said no way, I gave him a quick recovery demo and showed him the legal print out and he said that wasnt so bad and would check with his boss and get back to me... He never did but the main office siad its ok.

I have never found that much but was told about some old camp grounds the bikers used to use in the 60's and did ok...

soon as i get a water machine there are several great swimming holes to hit in the forest.

one last thing STAY out of NATIONAL PARKS that will get you jail time.

State Parks and National Parks are two different animals. Here in Colorado, it is usually up to the park manager to give you permission to MD in STATE PARKS. However, in NATIONAL PARKS, like the Great Sand Dunes near where I live, MD is a big no-no.

Dusty

Back
Top Bottom