Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 08-09-2018, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Right you are! But I’m talking about US 90% silver halves, quarters and dimes currently produced today. Maybe I’m nitpicking, but they are still making them.
Agree with nitpicking as they are functionally only for collectors that anxiously await every offering that the Mint comes out with. I swear, the US Mint uses the old Franklin Mint's business plan anymore. Its become a bad joke. I think we need to start a over/under pool on when the US Mint will start offering collectible dinner plates.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:19 AM
Supporter

Double tap

Squad Leader: Team Cupcake

Old 08-09-2018, 10:19 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Tpmetal View post
Shoot, took Police and EMS 45 minutes to make it to my neighbors house when he chopped his foot in half with a chainsaw. We live 5 minutes from town(small about 1500 people). But we are not in the village so town police and emergency will not respond to my area. They instead send state troopers, which could be anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour away. I NEVER count on someone else coming to my aid. This is one of many reasons we own firearms, if something were to happen no one will be there for us.
SC had ruled the police have no Constitutional duty to protect the public, so there's that

Old 08-09-2018, 10:27 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by KinTN View post
Agree with nitpicking as they are functionally only for collectors that anxiously await every offering that the Mint comes out with. I swear, the US Mint uses the old Franklin Mint's business plan anymore. Its become a bad joke. I think we need to start a over/under pool on when the US Mint will start offering collectible dinner plates.
Thats no joke! The !!!! they roll out for a strictly "collector market" is pretty pathetic

My Twitter https://twitter.com/TheSilverFiend
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/detecting_silver/

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:34 AM
Elite Member

For a normal investment, I’m losing my faith in silver. Unless it blew up to $40 again, it’s been a big waste of time and a let down for me.

In YOUR scenario tho 😂😂 a hella lotta guns and ammunition is what I’d want. I mean, I want that anyways, so I’m biased, but you’re always gonna have crazies that you gotta take care of when they come busting in.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:20 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Soil Surgeon View post
GSP as in German Shorthaired Pointer ?
Yup! And a real sweetheart.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by RBachman View post
Yup! And a real sweetheart.
Great dogs and super high energy . I love to see them work !

Old 08-09-2018, 07:42 PM

I neglected to actually respond with an answer to the OP's original request.

I actually agree with posts 23 & 30, but have an item or two to add that will quite likely be trade goods or marketable commodity.

Lead (the heavy metal)
reload-able brass, in common calibers
primers
smokeless and black powder
bullet molds

It may develop into a "relatively" stable environment such that solar electric panels might be a valuable commodity, along with the skills and accessories to make use of them.

The problem with some of this is that it makes you a target. One needs to expose themselves through setting the solar panels up in a clearing. That, in turn, gives something interesting for not only thieves, but governments to notice and investigate. Running a generator makes heat and noise, burning wood for heat makes a heat signature that can be found by thermal imaging, and even being outside can be hazardous if government agents are in the area with either optics or thermal devices.

Many things to consider in advance, if one wants to disappear in a social breakdown environment.

Roger

Old 08-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Supporter

A lot of interesting guesses/theories, no one’s been there.

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him

Old 08-09-2018, 09:31 PM
Elite Member

I think the best thing in an all out, everyone for themselves situation is avoid everyone..

Learn how to make a bow and arrows, make and set snares, deadfalls, and other types of traps. Learn some plants/roots/tubers that are everywhere and edible. Learn how to get water from sources that won't need purification.

Go where nobody else wants to be ( you need the above skills to manage that)

<°)))>{

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:03 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by GTS225 View post
I neglected to actually respond with an answer to the OP's original request.

I actually agree with posts 23 & 30, but have an item or two to add that will quite likely be trade goods or marketable commodity.

Lead (the heavy metal)
reload-able brass, in common calibers
primers
smokeless and black powder
bullet molds

It may develop into a "relatively" stable environment such that solar electric panels might be a valuable commodity, along with the skills and accessories to make use of them.

The problem with some of this is that it makes you a target. One needs to expose themselves through setting the solar panels up in a clearing. That, in turn, gives something interesting for not only thieves, but governments to notice and investigate. Running a generator makes heat and noise, burning wood for heat makes a heat signature that can be found by thermal imaging, and even being outside can be hazardous if government agents are in the area with either optics or thermal devices.

Many things to consider in advance, if one wants to disappear in a social breakdown environment.

Roger
You do realize that currently many people utilize solar panels? I have some, should I take them down in a SHTF scenario?

There's also much more than just panels, charge controllers, inverter, batteries, wiring, it's an expensive investment (I have $10K in mine). A pv solar array of any size, to run anything of substance, would be extremely expensive. That money would be better invested in something which would directly affect whether a person lives, or dies, such as food, water, and protection.

People survived without electricity for eons, none survived without food and water.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:06 AM
Supporter

A lot of interesting guesses/theories, no one’s been there.
Hey, speak for yourself....I have the Book of Eli on DVD

Old 08-10-2018, 09:45 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Ice Scratcher View post
I think the best thing in an all out, everyone for themselves situation is avoid everyone..

Learn how to make a bow and arrows, make and set snares, deadfalls, and other types of traps. Learn some plants/roots/tubers that are everywhere and edible. Learn how to get water from sources that won't need purification.

<°)))>{
Yep...this! My own design, fast and easy to build......The Mud-Pup Figure "H" can hold a tremendous amount of weight with a very finely geared down trigger system utilizing leverage and tension....See the tiny little trigger stick at the back?
Attached Images

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:01 PM
Supporter

Mud, any critter that walked into that contraption.....wanted to end it

Old 08-10-2018, 01:07 PM
Elite Member

Not exactly sure what I am looking at Mud but have to agree-the critter was wanting to get it’s life over with! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-10-2018, 05:16 PM
Supporter

Mud do you have AR Hardings “Deadfalls and snares?” FFG

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him

Old 08-10-2018, 05:20 PM
Elite Member

Mud do you have AR Hardings “Deadfalls and snares?” FFG

You should know mud is a early morning peruser of these threads. He’s out setting his traps and scraping roadkill for supper, LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-10-2018, 05:44 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Ice Scratcher View post

<°)))>{
Just to add to the above..

If you are where nobody else is or wants to be, and able to survive there... (Hint.. it's not in the south)

When you do happen to come across someone, they'll be more likely to be a friend than an enemy to you. After all, you both would have everything you already need, and the things most needed, can't be taken from you or them, and you would actually have common interests..

BTW, I've been certified in river rescue, ice rescue, vertical rope rescue, cold weather survival, wilderness survival, CPR, first responder, and first aid.. I've already sewn myself up twice..

Keep in mind, it will be a really rough time out there, and no doctors, emergency rooms, or urgent care. Better know that stuff too...

If you're eating and drinking okay, and slightly in shape, walking 25-30 miles a day is not a stretch..

<°)))>{

Old 08-10-2018, 07:29 PM
Supporter

OP, there's something which is in much more demand in discussions of this type...

tinfoil

/thread

Unless you have a group of family/friends, you'll never defend your home, so being on a constant move is the only thing that will keep you alive. So, all the "preps" in your basement, were all for naught, but I'm sure someone will appreciate them.

Regardless of how well equipped you are, others will have you beat, hands down.

Depending what this "catastrophe" is, you and your home may not even survive, ditto on your band of bros.

I plan to do my part for humanity, find the first 30 year-old Sports Illustrated swimsuit model, and begin to repopulate the planet.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:19 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
In a theoretical SHTF scenario, Being a good Cook would be of some importance I would think...There will be no shortage of wandering Meat on the Hoof, but a guy who has the skills of turning it into something tasty and digestible?

A guy should consider History and learn all about the various methods of preparing and procuring long pig for survival.....Mexican food is fast and easy, simple to catch and plentiful in season.....

Chinese of course, but a guy has to be ready 1/2hr later to supply some after dinner snacks to a potentially hungry again and surly clientele...Irish Stew is a steady and substantial high caloric favorite, cant go wrong there...Eskimo pies for dessert if you can get them...which will be hard...

Although stringy, Italian is not bad either!...with a side of farva beans and a nice chianti to wash down the 'Whassamadderyou?' aftertaste...Greek is out of the question!...just too hairy and dirty...too much trouble....

Chicago 'Hot Dogs' for the Midwesterners, Caribbean Jerked Chicken, Wisconsin Cheese Heads, Icelandic salad? All sorts of different and alternate skills and seasonings a guy will need to know how to prepare..Like Indian food for example? Are we talking native American 'Woowoo' or 'How May I help you' Internet? Its not as simple as it sounds..a guy should get busy and practice!

See?

In a SHTF situation , if it lasts longer than a few weeks all the animals will be gone. Millions of people with the same idea , hunting and eating or hoarding everything that moves , it wont be long until insects and earthworms are all that's available. People better be able to defend themselves or they will become a valuable food source.