Entry level detector

CWrelic

I'm a newbie. So new I have not bought a detector yet!! I am looking for any advice about buying my first machine. Is it better to start off with a less sophisticated detector, or maybe mid level? Thanks for any advice.

noob myself and picked up a couple garrett ace 250s. have'n tried them yet, waithing on the snow to melt. sorry not much help. but after a month of research they looked perfect for me. will upgrade to the AT pro when my finds pay off the aces and if i'm still interested.

I would say purchase something inexpensive at first to make sure you will stay with/enjoy the hobby.You should be able to pick out a new/used machine for $200-$300 maybe even cheaper, watch the classified's on here as well as craigslist.Hope this help's,....gl/hh.

I would recommend picking a better entry level or lower mid level machine. If you buy something cheaper you may be quickly turned off when it doesn't expect like you'd think.

Good advice BEFORE you buy a detector is research. Research what you will be using it for and also research the resell value because you may not want to stay in this hobby.

Thanks for the input. Im guessing that as a newbie, I will digging on every signal? Does anyone not dig on certain signals? I've read some posts here where the signal sounded like a nail or pull tab, and yet they dug and found sliver or gold.

No matter what machine you guy, Gold will ALWAYS sound like a pull tab :lol:

Dig those. And it really depends on where you are hunting, for example, when I'm on a beach, I did everything.
Relic hunting, dig everything.
Coin hunting, just dig coins.

Also, while looking into a new detector, check on how deep the coils reach.
Some will get 4", some normal is 6", but some can go ALOT deeper.
The fisher f2 (three coil package) comes with 3 coils. 4" 8" 10"
Its around 275.00

The ace 250 has some nice packages as well, around the same price.

Just do some reading, video watching and really ask some specific questions before committing to buy a detector. I wish I had before I bought my first.

Contact a dealer from the sponsors of this forum and talk to them about where and what type of hunting you plan to do. Most of them are very good like Bart at Big Boy Hobbies, Rich at Backwoods Detectors, Indian Nations, and others. Find one close to you and will cut down shipping times. If you are sure your going to stick with it, buy a mid level machine or else you might feel the need to upgrade quicker. Yes the VDI numbers will be off due to other targets in the hole,target depth, ground conditions, target angle, etc. VDI numbers are another verification of what it might be but that is all. Get a repeatable sound above iron and dig it, even digging iron finds you good targets some times. I'd suggest getting one without fixed ground balance. GL.

Ok cool. It sounds like getting a unit with sufficient depth finder is more important than trying to sort by the sound, cause I will be digging everything.

Thanks again for the advice!

You'll also need some accessories like a good pinpointer, kneepads, pouch for your finds and trash, headphones, and digging tool. Also read our code of ethics and follow them and learn and practice proper recovery techniques. You can find them on youtube. You represent everyone in the hobby so do this to keep areas from getting banned.

Tesoro silver umax

Howdy... Gotta say I love my Tesoro silver umax. About 260.... Can Google that machinesand it's reviews.

For less money... Google Tesoro compadr .... About 160.... Dunno as all get out.

Don't forget... If you can afford it the Garrett pro pointer... And a lesche digger. Good to go.

Last although I have never used it... I hear great things about the f 2.

Have fun and good luck. Welcome!

Ron

Fisher F2. http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=53930

noob myself and picked up a couple garrett ace 250s. have'n tried them yet. will upgrade to the AT pro when my finds pay off the aces and if i'm still interested.

Good plan to buy an entry level and upgrade if the hobby fits you.

I thought you said depending on how your finds payoff.

One should expect to find about $0.50 an hour in clad coins, so multiply that by the number of hours a month you plan to detect. $10-20 a month is realistic.

As far as gold goes, in a park you would have to dig about 1000 pulltabs or junk items per gold ring. The OP of that thread above has dug about 15,000 junk items and has about 15 gold rings, in two years. He is prolific and extreme. If you want to try to justify your time and money spent detecting water detecting is the only way that even comes close, and is an entirely different skill set. Waterproof metal detectors start at $500.

We do this for fun, not profit.

Fisher F2. http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=53930

Good plan to buy an entry level and upgrade if the hobby fits you.

I thought you said depending on how your finds payoff.

One should expect to find about $0.50 an hour in clad coins, so multiply that by the number of hours a month you plan to detect. $10-20 a month is realistic.

As far as gold goes, in a park you would have to dig about 1000 pulltabs or junk items per gold ring. The OP of that thread above has dug about 15,000 junk items and has about 15 gold rings, in two years. He is prolific and extreme. If you want to try to justify your time and money spent detecting water detecting is the only way that even comes close, and is an entirely different skill set. Waterproof metal detectors start at $500.

We do this for fun, not profit.

i'm not looking for profit. just walks through the woods with the wife and dog. she loves walks through the woods and i love coins and odd hobbies. i need to set a goal at what point do i decide to buy a higher end unit. finding enough to pay for the entry is a good goal. i don't need to make money, just know when not to waste it.

Here is a list of what what are looking for

Any bounty hunter.
Any Treasure Cove.
Garrett Ace series.
Fisher F2 or F5.
Off brand, or radio shack brands.

After you learn one of these and show you really enjoy the hobby after a good year of detecting, then you can look for something better.

Always be sure to follow the basic rules and moral guidelines that detectorists follow.

I bought my first machine a year ago for about $200, and recent sold it for about 1/2 that and am looking at going up to near $400 for my next one. I didn't find a whole ton of coins, I did find one small sterling ring, but when I had time to go I did enjoy it, so hoping to get deeper targets with a better machine.
Research what areas are available to you, for example if there are any restrictions in your city (and surrounding cities) or county parks you have nearby.
Yes very important to respect the properties you hunt on, you don't want to just leave holes in the area and if you (and you will) dig up tabs or other junk like chopped up aluminum cans (called can slaw) collect that stuff and at least toss it away, better yet recycle it.
To more directly answer your question, yes I would stay in the $200 or lower range to see if you like the hobby, yet not end up with an expensive machine if you decide it's not for you.
Gilly

EDIT: this topic is also frequently discussed by newbies: you will feel a little nervous at first about doing this. Generally it's done on public lands and you do feel a little "on display" when doing this. After awhile it goes away. Just so you are prepared for it. People might stop and watch or ask questions, and I know as a newbie I almost didn't feel "qualified" to even answer. But just stay focused yet friendly about it. I know one lighthearted answer I always use if someone asks "how it's going" or "finding anything?", is to say something like "Another $193.50 and it'll be paid for!".

ive an Ace 150 and although only been detecting 4 months i feel no need to "upgrade" and ive used it on beaches full of clutter yet it has no problem and id buy another 150 if i needed to replace the one i have . its lightweight

I would recommend leaving some room in your budget for a Garrett Pro Pointer. For someone new in the hobby they seem a little pricey but you can ask many many people on this forum and they will tell you they are worth the money. It will make things a lot easier in the beginning when it comes to finding targets. Once you become an old pro you will still use it and be glad you have it. I have never detected without mine but venture to say if it were broke down for a few days I probably would not go detecting.

Remember, this is all about the enjoyment of finding the unknown. if you have watched too many television shows and are in it to get rich, this probably isn't for you. Any detector that you begin with can be used later as a back-up detector or one for friends to join you on hunts. If you give it a chance and don't let the trash that everyne finds get to you, you won't find a better hobby. Practice digging finds before you venture to parks and other places. There may be someone in your area willing to show you things that you may not understand. You can aske questions right here on the forum and get a lot of answers to any problems that might come up. Happy Hunting.

Back
Top Bottom