How do I reconnect wires on a Garrett GTA 1000 Ultra Metal Detector?

johnt

I have an old Garrett GTA 1000 Ultra Metal Detector with broken wiring. The battery compartment has a red, black, white and green wire that I need to connect to the stem wires. The stem wires are red, black and two white ones. Does anyone know the proper connections? Thanks, John A.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote

The 2 white ones from the stem are exactly the same in every way. The green one from the battery compartment had electrical tape around it so it must have been connected to one of the 4 stem wires. All the wires from both the stem and battery compartment had electrical tape or remnants on them so if the previous owner was correct, the 4 wires from the stem splice to the 4 wires from the battery compartment.
Yes, I thought the black would be to black and red to red. It makes sense that one of the stem white wires would go to the white wire from the battery compartment. I'd take the cover off the control box to trace where the 2 white wires connect there but the 4 wires are in a coiled outer cover so there is no way to trace them back.
I'll load some pictures and reply with them.
I'll also call Garrett about it.
Thanks so much for the help.

I expect you have this sorted out by now with help from Garrett. It sounds to me like the previous owner cut the plug off of the original cord where it plugged into the battery box and spliced in another piece to make it longer. It also sounds like the wires may have been just twisted together and taped rather than being soldered, and thus, pulled apart. The color of the wires in the added piece therefore may not match color for color of the wires coming from the stem of the detector. Besides the + & - for the batteries, there is also the connections for the speaker / headphone plug. These all need to be matched properly to the proper plug terminals.

How does the wires connect to speaker and earphone jack?

On your post about the Garrett gta 1000 back in 2014. Do you know exactly how the wires go onto the piece where the earphones plug into?+ to the speaker. I lost my diagram. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom