Some parks in my county allows metal detecting, and some doesn't according to the manager of natural resources, unit of the Cobb, Ga parks

hellomikie92

He said this:

Mr. Cruce,

I was given your email concerning metal detecting in Cobb County Parks. There are some that we allow detecting in and some we don’t. It would be easier if you would let me know of a few parks you had in mind and then I can answer yes or no.

I would need to write you a letter with permission to detect in the parks agreed upon. You would need to carry the letter with you when in that park.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

Rusty Simpson

Manager, Natural Resource Unit

Cobb Parks,Recreation and Cultural Affairs

Cobb County...Expect the Best

www.cobbcounty.org

I am hoping that its at least 10 parks that allows detecting, because after all there are 37 parks in Cobb County And according to the tagline of the county, I am kinda expecting the best, I was hoping all of them allowed it. lol. Well wish me luck, and like I said, I hope its at least 10 parks that allows metal detecting lol!

I'll keep y'all posted, with whatever I find, and stuff.

Hellomikie92,even just 3or4 would keep ya busy,as kids and adults drop things all the time. check out kingtotsalot,he goes back time and time again and is constantly finding stuff. good luck on your permission slip. Didnt think they would have been so nice. I lived in tunnel hill ga.and all ya ever heard about cobb county was negative comments,but good job on the e-mail.Your a happy hunter now.good job

Keep updated

Hi Mikie,

Can you update us as to which parks allow it and which don't as I'm right next door in Paulding County and hunt Cobb County parks quite a bit? Do not see that there is an ordinance against MD after looking through the Cobb code. Would love to see the ordinance allowing MD at "some" of the county parks. Would also like to see if I've broken the law by violating one of the "hidden county ordinances":D Thanks.

Hi Mikie,

Can you update us as to which parks allow it and which don't as I'm right next door in Paulding County and hunt Cobb County parks quite a bit? Do not see that there is an ordinance against MD after looking through the Cobb code. Would love to see the ordinance allowing MD at "some" of the county parks. Would also like to see if I've broken the law by violating one of the "hidden county ordinances":D Thanks.

Hey yeah sure I will. :-) Lots of the Cobb County parks was built in the 1960's from what I heard, but there is some that was built in the 1920s

It is my understanding that, if it is a PUBLIC park, your tax dollars pay for the park so they can't stop you from digging. They can, however, stop you from destroying the park so be respectful and fill in your holes.

Same for PUBLIC schools -as long as the school is not in session.

Please, someone back me up on this, or correct me.

The whole deal with PUBLIC parks and such, is that it is publicly-owned (by your tax dollars)... not government-owned.

It is my understanding that, if it is a PUBLIC park, your tax dollars pay for the park so they can't stop you from digging. They can, however, stop you from destroying the park so be respectful and fill in your holes.

Same for PUBLIC schools -as long as the school is not in session.

Please, someone back me up on this, or correct me.

The whole deal with PUBLIC parks and such, is that it is publicly-owned (by your tax dollars)... not government-owned.

Wow, this is an old post resurrected. And I see that 3 or 4 respondents back then went along with the feeling that "sometimes no one cares .... UNTIL you ask". :roll:

You are right slow-digger: No need to have permission, if there weren't a specific prohibition in the first place. Just like you wouldn't need permission to fly a frisbee.

If you have any wonders if there's a law or ordinance, you can always look up that city's parks rules for yourself. If you see nothing that says "m'ding prohibited", then presto: it's not prohibited. But still ....... use common sense to avoid those who might gripe on some other basis.

Your tax dollars pay to manage and maintain the parks... Which means people were hired, at you expense, to make decisions that are in the best interest of the land, and the people who use the parks. Not everyone can be a winner, majority rules though. If you never talk to them, they don't know what you are interested in doing in those parks. The Tinfoil Hat folks seem to think they can read your mind, and gather together to ruin your day of recreation... Nobody reads minds, rules and policies are there to protect the most people. The smart guys, who hunt in the dark, don't let anyone know, so they aren't included. Sure, you can look it up yourself, no mention of metal detectors, as a keyword search, but you'll miss some of the other stuff related to the hobby, which would make it a fail. New laws and rules a created, amended, on a daily basis, our tax dollars pay a lot of people big bucks to do that. You need it on paper, you'll get it eventually, if they really don't want people digging up the parks.

Common course of action, is suggest you hunt during off hours, where you avoid park empoyees. Why hide from them, if it's legal, you are doing anything wrong, not damaging anything? If you do run into one after hours, could you answer openly, honestly, truthfully? Or would you have plead ignorance, beg forgiveness? Why beg, if you know you aren't doing anything wrong? Why lie? I'm sure for some, a successful deception, is almost as good as digging up a gold coin, on protected land...

.... Which means people were hired, at you expense, to make decisions that are in the best interest of the land,......

Correct. I agree. They most certainly can decide that metal detecting is "not in the best interest of the land". D/t maybe they think you'll hurt earthworms, etc... And that is totaly within their duly-appointed realm. I agree. But the much BIGGER question is: What puts this on their plates as a decision they need to make, in the first place?

... Or would you have plead ignorance, beg forgiveness? ...

To plead ignorance and beg forgiveness implies something: It implies that someone is "doing some wrong/illegal". Lest why "beg forgiveness" if you weren't doing anything wrong in the first place? But since when is that a given, that we are "doing something wrong" ? I maintain that you/we AREN'T doing anything wrong.

To which you are maybe gonna ask: "Then why hunt at low traffic times ?". Answer: To KEEP it from becoming something that could turn into a rule or illegality. Or put another way: The same reason you pick your nose discreetly when people aren't looking: NOT that nose-picking is illegal (and requires "begging of forgiveness"), but merely to avoid offending the squeemish and easily offended types.

He said this:

Mr. Cruce,

I was given your email concerning metal detecting in Cobb County Parks. There are some that we allow detecting in and some we don’t. It would be easier if you would let me know of a few parks you had in mind and then I can answer yes or no.

I would need to write you a letter with permission to detect in the parks agreed upon. You would need to carry the letter with you when in that park.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

Rusty Simpson

Manager, Natural Resource Unit

Cobb Parks,Recreation and Cultural Affairs

Cobb County...Expect the Best

www.cobbcounty.org

I am hoping that its at least 10 parks that allows detecting, because after all there are 37 parks in Cobb County And according to the tagline of the county, I am kinda expecting the best, I was hoping all of them allowed it. lol. Well wish me luck, and like I said, I hope its at least 10 parks that allows metal detecting lol!

I'll keep y'all posted, with whatever I find, and stuff.

How difficult would it be for the county to put a list of MD accessible parks online?

Sounds like BS to me. ;)

How difficult would it be for the county to put a list of MD accessible parks online?

They are all accessible. Unless there were a specific rule that actually truly said "no metal detecting".

Notice that the recreation manager dude never cites any reference from where he gets "allowed" versus "not allowed". It makes me wonder if he wasn't just offering his personal whim, rather than actual specific rule ?

Back
Top Bottom