Permission Revoked!

spenglure

Elite Member
It’s been a long day! Lots of door knocking and no one really coming to the door, even though there were several vehicles outside in the driveways. A “no” mixed in as well. Usually I have better luck door knocking than this! Well, finally found a nice looking house with a good side walk strip so pulled over and headed to the front door. This wasn’t a well maintained house and the yard was in “average” condition. A guy came to the front door. I decided to take a different approach and asked the property owner if I could hunt the side walk strip. Explained I liked to metal detect. He said, sure, I don’t see why not just don’t dig big holes. I explained the holes are small and I fill them in like I was never there. After gauging his response, I asked if I could detect the yard. He said sure. So off I went. Turned on the detector and began detecting. I was extremely careful with my holes, making sure to keep them small and filling them back perfectly. About my fourth hole in (only 5 minutes if that), I dug an 8” wheat. Just after filling the hole, the property owner came out. Said, “Well, I’m going to have to stop you. My wife saw you digging and was wondering why you had to “do our yard.” At that point I knew I was no longer welcome. And I actually only dug in the side walk strip at that point. I showed him where I had dug and how I didn’t damage the lawn. I actually couldn’t even see where I dug. He said, yep, I saw you dig the holes, I’m sorry my wife just doesn’t want that in our yard. I respect that. The man seemed very sincere, even saying sorry. I said thanks again for the opportunity and was on my way. So that ended my day, worst day of door knocking in my fourth season detecting, lol. Do you think his wife had an issue or did he just change his mind after seeing me dig a few holes? Sometimes I wonder what happens. Sucks having a promising permission revoked!!

Last edited:
You got farther than I did one time....I got a Yes from the man at the door, went to get my gear and started putting on my knee pads when the guy opened the screen door and told me his wife was not happy about me digging holes in their yard. I thanked him and left before even turning on my Tesoro.

HDD

Well since the wife obviously wears the pants in the family,
she should have answered the door herself.

Sometimes it is more a matter of picking your battles. Some stranger digging holes in my yard is not a battle he cared to fight! Sometimes you do what you gotta do to keep spouse happy so you can do the stuff you really want to do. I spent the last 6 weeks moving my mother in law to our town, moving her furniture, hanging her pictures, hanging a new full-view screen door for her so her cat can see outside, installing shelves, and other stuff and never grumbled a bit. And that will be good for a BUNCH of weekends off doing my thang with my detector rather than the honey-do's my wife might rather I be doing. I just considered it banking detecting time!

I used to ask to hunt and had an excellent yes ratio but it seems over the years times and people have changed . I don't do any kind of private property anymore and don't have any desire to knock on some strangers door and subject myself to God knows what . Too many frickin loonies out there ! I also don't like strangers coming to my door either . I guess part of the truth of the matter is I've become a cranky ,old hermit .

I'd hate it if that happened to me. Sounds like they should have consulted one another before giving an answer. Some people just can't see past the "holes" I guess.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I used to ask to hunt and had an excellent yes ratio but it seems over the years times and people have changed . I don't do any kind of private property anymore and don't have any desire to knock on some strangers door and subject myself to God knows what . Too many frickin loonies out there ! I also don't like strangers coming to my door either . I guess part of the truth of the matter is I've become a cranky ,old hermit .

I agree,I’d rather put in whatever time it takes to hunt where I can without having to be under a microscope or subjected to some BS I sure didn’t ask for. Private homes,unless owned by someone I know personally,are not in my plan in any way shape or form. Finding something isn’t important enough to put up with any horseshit.

Well, ya gotta understand, that man has to live there after you go home after digging, and I'm sure you can appreciate he'd rather make you unhappy rather than his wife :lol:

Anyhow, you can always practice a very convincing technique for asking permission like this :laughing::laughing::laughing:
getting_permission_dracula3.jpg

If you are on the point system

Sometimes it is more a matter of picking your battles. Some stranger digging holes in my yard is not a battle he cared to fight! Sometimes you do what you gotta do to keep spouse happy so you can do the stuff you really want to do. I spent the last 6 weeks moving my mother in law to our town, moving her furniture, hanging her pictures, hanging a new full-view screen door for her so her cat can see outside, installing shelves, and other stuff and never grumbled a bit. And that will be good for a BUNCH of weekends off doing my thang with my detector rather than the honey-do's my wife might rather I be doing. I just considered it banking detecting time!
When you subscribe to the point system, you earn them as you go, and lose them before you get to trade them some times. Points is points! Webekin

Well, ya gotta understand, that man has to live there after you go home after digging, and I'm sure you can appreciate he'd rather make you unhappy rather than his wife :lol:

Anyhow, you can always practice a very convincing technique for asking permission like this :laughing::laughing::laughing:

:thumbsup: I like the idea!:waytogo:

When you subscribe to the point system, you earn them as you go, and lose them before you get to trade them some times. Points is points! Webekin

I just can't possibly imagine living in a relationship where asking permission as an adult is required to do things you enjoy. Let alone based on a points system! :?: What's with all the ownership and ruling over?

Not trying to pick on you Webekin, your post was just a good example of what I see a lot of folks in committed relationships saying all the time and never in my 41 years have I understood it.

I had a 12 year marriage that was good most of the way and a current 7 year shared household relationship that is usually smooth as butter, and can't say that I can ever remember saying "Can I go metal detecting?", or "Can I go hang out with my buddy?".

Anyway, I've been in that situation a couple times and had a poor dejected man come out and apologize that his wife has overridden his decision. I always say "I'm more sorry than you are brother. Best of luck with all that and thanks for your time" and load up whistling a tune since I know I'm not dealing with that BS at my house. :aok:

Reminds me of:

I don't know man, ah she kinda funny, you know

I know, everybody funny, now you funny too

This is just one of the reasons I'm not sure I'll ever do any door knocking to detect yards. I hate that awkward feeling. I really don't like people anyway...:laughing:

I think that most of it comes from people watching those shows on television. They dig up items (Planted?) and sell them for huge amounts of money. They figure that you are going to do the same thing. When you end up finding some clad and a bunch of pulltabs they don't believe you.

Back
Top Bottom