Hey Looking for a good beach VID camera.

Marty115

Would like one that mounts on the head or chest. Any Suggestions? Waterproof would be great. Thanks,
Marty

I bought a Kodak ZX5 when Amazon had them for like $80, takes decent video and has pretty good sound quality.

I think GraveDiggerMax uses the same one.

Other options are a Tachyon or a GoPro... but I hear the sound kind of sucks on both.

Last edited:
I've been using the GoPro Hero2 with a chest mount for the past year. I think the picture quality is pretty good and it has a waterproof case. I have had some problems with the sound on longer videos but other than that it's been pretty decent. Here is a sample video:

HH!

Whatever you do, don't get a Tachyon micro hd. Not only is the sound terrible or can't be heard at all even leaving the door open. Which means it is no longer waterproof. But not long after I got mine it blew wide open like a firecracker. I'm getting a gopro next time:yes:

Would like one that mounts on the head or chest. Any Suggestions? Waterproof would be great. Thanks,
Marty
One of the best features about the Gopro is all the available mounts for it. I have the head strap mount, the chest strap, the clamp mount and a bunch of the stick on mounts. You can mount them on just about anything. I even have a mount on my motorcycle. It comes in a waterproof case. It is also so small and light that you don't even notice it mounted to your body. I put mine on my grandsons head with the head strap and got some good footage of his perspective of the world during the holidays. He didn't even know he had it on.

Just read the reviews on Amazon concerning the gopro 3 black edition......
Basically it is a piece of junk. 1 star reviews for the most part. I will be moving on to another brand.

I've been using a old Tachyon XC (WP to 200ft) for 6 years now, video quality is not near as good as the newer camera's (640x480) but battery life is the reason I keep using, 10 plus hours on two rechargeable AA. Plus I like the fact I can hear the audio of the detector. Just picked up a New unUsed one off eBay for 42.oo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un_BvTgN4Uc

by the shadow you can tell the way the cam is mounted...

Basically it is a piece of junk. 1 star reviews for the most part. I will be moving on to another brand.
I just looked on Amazon and the ratings I found were 3.5 for the black edition, 3.5 for the black surf edition, 4.2 for the black motorsports edition, and 4.1 for the 3+ black edition. These are not cheap toys and there are many variables to consider when someone does a negative feedback on something. It doesn't take many negatives to drop a good rating down to a bad rating, however, I consider 3.5 or better to be pretty good. My take on ratings is that someone who is unhappy with an item is more apt to rate the item because they are annoyed about it. The first thing you need to do with any Gopro is update the software on it before you use it. They also recommend that you use certain sd cards in them. If you use the wrong brands you might have issues with the camera. There is a reason that they are probably the best selling personal camera on the market. They are used at many professional sporting events and many tv shows are using them. The way I see it is if you buy one and don't like it, you return it. I researched the heck out of the Gopro before I bought it and I couldn't be happier with it. There are some unbelievable videos on Youtube that were shot with the Gopro. You should check them out.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...lack+edition&sprefix=go+pro+3,electronics,318

I did a little research on the Gopro and found that it has been used on over 60 tv shows. That was as of 2011 so that number has increased quite a bit. Nat Geo has used them on many of their wildlife specials and some of the other shows that use them are Mythbusters, Ice Road Truckers, Deadliest Catch, Breaking Bad and Walking Dead. They can't be all that bad if so many shows are utilizing them. You will notice them on many shows once you start watching for them. Whenever I see a shot in a show or movie that looks like it might be Gopro footage, I try and spot the camera when the angle changes, many times you'll catch a quick glimpse of one. I drive my wife crazy every time I say "hey, theres a Gopro".

Go pros are the best. It's the 320.00 pill that's hard to swallow:)

I just picked up the zx5 for 50.00 on ebay. If I like taping my hunts I will grab a gopro:)

I can tell you that they did indeed have a problem with the Hero3 when it was first released. They fixed that but it was a PR nightmare. I write for an online video centric site and have done reviews on the GoPro. I own 2 of them myself.

3 or 4 hundred is pocket change in a tv show budget and they essentially use them as crash cams. First shot I ever saw was on NCIS where it was mounted to a personal watercraft during a chase scene.

Because it's so popular, there is 3rd party accessory support as well.

HH,

Papa

I bought Contour ROAR from Amazon when it was on sale ~100 bucks, but haven't tried it yet. It is made here in Seattle, great design and features, but I need to try it in action to say something about. By the way, I found Kodak ZX5 in hotel bedside table when was on vacation in Philippines island, but I brought it to hotel personal, because there were some videos of marriage of American guy and Filipino girl and I though it maybe important for owner, but hotel staff should has his address and maybe they returned it to him, I do not know.

The local news in my area was using a Gopro mounted on a car to show you how to drive in snowy weather. Also, I'm pretty sure I saw Les Stroud from Survivorman wearing one in a chest mount on tonights episode.

Watching Lone Target on Discovery channel. The target was about to repel down a cliff. The camera man could not repel so he took a Gopro from the camera man.

Back
Top Bottom