avoiding digging false signals....

redneckdigget

how can i avoid digging on false signals? i dig more empty holes than i find nails and pull tabs. what do i need t listen for or do i just need to pass the detector over the spot a few times to see if i get a steady signal?

Not to sure on that one. never know it's a false signal dig you dig it, right

but check to be sure your coil cable is not loose
new or good batteries
be sure not to whack your coil to hard

I don't dig a lot of iron with my Ace 250. However when I do lock on a target, and pinpoint. Some times the iron is so close, you pinpoint on it instead of the pull tab or coin. After the iron is removed, you can pinpoint on the actual object. Sometimes you just have to eliminate the multiple signals to get a truer signals.

You are never NOT going to find pulltabs. It could be a nickle, and it might be gold. Dig on it. Feel happy you are making it a cleaner place than when you got there.

That's a really hard problem. Sometimes falses are deep silver dimes on their side. I've learned alot in the past year, but have yet to learn how to tell a false from a deep silver on side. Tonal machines help, but they don't always get it right either. About 5% of falses for me are deep silver on their side. It becomes a question of whether or not it is worth it. Good luck on this one.

BTW, depending on your machine, deep coins on their side will throw the pinpoint off (it doesn't know it is on its side, and will project the pinpoint out away from the coin -- sometimes a "double hit", for each side of the coin, is the giveaway). Both the V3i and E-Trac work this way.

HTH and good luck. Dig a wide plug and scan the sides of the hole.

I had a similar problem this last weekend. I would get a solid dime signal, indicated at 2" deep. I would dig a nice plug, and discover the coin still indicated in the hole. So I would dig more, and more, and more. Everytime I swung the detector over the hole it still indicated a dime, 2" down. I gave up that hole and a few others that did the same thing, thinking they must have been deep aluminum cans.

Those deep silver dimes/quarters on edge, I'm really starting to pick up on them, been finding more and more. The places I hunt are so pounded that almost every silver is a tricky one, you have to rely on half a good tone, and sometimes the direction it comes in best from, and maybe just a blip on the screen as your only indicators, along with your past experiences. Knowing the expected depth of what you're seeking helps also, but only in the field training in all scenarios will garner results with consistency, and you will never ever come across all the possibilities out there, so just dig and keep practicing! You'll get good at it...

I had a similar problem this last weekend. I would get a solid dime signal, indicated at 2" deep. I would dig a nice plug, and discover the coin still indicated in the hole. So I would dig more, and more, and more. Everytime I swung the detector over the hole it still indicated a dime, 2" down. I gave up that hole and a few others that did the same thing, thinking they must have been deep aluminum cans.

that is exactly what is happening to me

Well when that happens on the Etrac so I dont know about yours, when the target is ringing up as a dime only 2 inches down and it isnt there and still shows up, it is usually a can or canslaw. I have picked up canslaw a foot down but read as a dime at a few inches. I didnt dig it up but used my long screwdriver to find it. :lol:

when I first started I had dug many empty holes.. I thought were false signals, then I bought my propointer and that cut the false signals by alot.
Since then I have learned my Ace250 rather well and can tell what is there and what is not. the Ace with the sens. turned up still falses alot but By swing speed and swing direction I have learned what to dig and what not to dig.
I am hoping with the new E-trac that my falsing issues will subside alot. but I'm sure it will take me all next year just to learn how to drive the new MD!

I am hunting in an area that has tons of metal and was having same problems this past weekend. It got quite frustrating! So I decided to not just listen to tones but watch the indicator and it seemed that when it kept mainly staying on 'iron', it was iron. Old rusty tin (not aluminum) is the dominant pain.

Got a 350 myself and have been digging up a lot of empty holes as well in my yard. Finally hit on something and and came up with underground wires from the previous owners invisible dog fence and crazy outdoor lighting system. Those darn wires were criss crossing the yard and driving me crazy. Go figure.

dig only signals that will repeat in both directions,,,, and if they repeat after turning 90 degrees even better,,,,, you should not have to chase a signal,,,, if it seems to keep moving on you when you try to PP it it is usually iron passs on it, a good target will usually hit solid everytime from all directions,,,,,after you get this down come back and we can tell you about "iffy" signals lol

Back
Top Bottom