Tavern Site updated (6/6/14)

GreenMtnDigger

Finally had a chance to detect a old tavern site that Ive been drooling over for sometime now. I didn't bother asking to detect in the past due to the owners rep but turns out they sold this chunk of land recently and I work with the new owner ;). Its said that the Green Mountain Boys (Rev war Militia) trained in the field right behind where the tavern sat for their raid on Fort Ticonderoga. There isnt a lot of info other than stories handed down from owner to owner but a battle did take place less than a mile from this site. As far as I know Im the only person to detect this area and I hope I can prove these stories to be true. Here's the finds so far. A silver plated war of 1812 USI REGT Button 2 draped bust large cents one a 1803 and one maybe 1796, cant really tell. A 1830s Ships Colonies and Commerce token. pipe stems musket balls some tomback and flat buttons a large buckle and what looks like a trigger guard to a musket. Also found a real old cloak button but gave it to the land owner. Ive been working the area real slow and digging everything but nails, there is a ton of iron lol

Attachments

• IMG_0012[1] (2).jpg
    IMG_0012[1] (2).jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 659
  • IMG_0013[1] (2).jpg
    IMG_0013[1] (2).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 659
  • IMG_0016[1] (2).jpg
    IMG_0016[1] (2).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 662
Thanks man. I didnt get a chance to show the owners todays finds but they are going to be excited. They seem real interested about the history of the area and their land. Whats really cool is part of their home is made from the beams of the tavern.

Ok, what is tomback? What detector are you using ? I use an atpro and I don't know how not to dig up a nail. I use standard coin settin and nails sound like a coin and have a vdi in the high nineties. I would love to not dig up nails so any help would be appreciated. I love colonial sites. Have fun !!!!

That is a stunner of a button ... guessing that is worth a pretty penny as they used to say. Keep working that place .... and don't forget to grid it out!!!

You east coast guys have some awesome sites . Thanx for sharing the drool-worthy pix and story .

Ok, what is tomback? What detector are you using ? I use an atpro and I don't know how not to dig up a nail. I use standard coin settin and nails sound like a coin and have a vdi in the high nineties. I would love to not dig up nails so any help would be appreciated. I love colonial sites. Have fun !!!!

I'll send you a PM re: tombac and using an ATPro :)

On my At pro they ring up in the upper 70s to mid to low 80s depending on depth and are made of copper

Don't have the ATP but I think there is something called iron audio? If you don't listen to all the iron tones, and you have nail discriminated out, you will pick up the Halo tone http://metaldetectingworld.com/halo_effect.shtml and think it is a silver coin. If you hear the iron tone that would be sounded just before or after that high tone, you would know it is not a coin. A coin also repeats perfectly (unless standing on end or partially masked) in all directions you move the coil.. a halo from a nail won't always do that. Hope that helps!

I know I'm just repeating what others have said, but that silver button, in particular, is phenomenal. Congratulations! Those other finds aren't too shabby either. ;) And good work on not giving up on a site that seemed "off-limits" by reputation. You earned the opportunity to work that site. I need to get better at that, so your story is also very encouraging to be a bit bolder.
Rich

Holy s**t that is probably the nicest period military button I have ever seen dug... Just :wow: Fellow Vermonter here (originally) - keep the location of that site well under wraps and don't broadcast your activity too much. Keep at it and I know you are going to be pulling some more major finds there - that's perhaps a once-in-a-lifetime kind of site - they don't come along often. Can't wait to see what else you come up with, in terms of finds and also in terms of piecing together the history of the site... Cheers, BB

PS - Have you seen the book 'Freedom and Unity - A history of Vermont'? May be some valuable reading in there for you. Not a cheap book but I think worth it for the colonial era VT metal detectorist.

PPS - Did you dig that USA button that's your avatar in Vermont?

Holy s**t that is probably the nicest period military button I have ever seen dug... Just :wow: Fellow Vermonter here (originally) - keep the location of that site well under wraps and don't broadcast your activity too much. Keep at it and I know you are going to be pulling some more major finds there - that's perhaps a once-in-a-lifetime kind of site - they don't come along often. Can't wait to see what else you come up with, in terms of finds and also in terms of piecing together the history of the site... Cheers, BB

PS - Have you seen the book 'Freedom and Unity - A history of Vermont'? May be some valuable reading in there for you. Not a cheap book but I think worth it for the colonial era VT metal detectorist.

PPS - Did you dig that USA button that's your avatar in Vermont?

Thanks BB. ill have to take a look at that book and yes I dug the USA Button last year less than a mile from this site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom