• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Sterling Something ??

JakeCpuNut

hey folks.. new here!! :) Sorry for the long 1st post but this is pretty interesting, at least to me !

Tinky1878, you're from this area so it may interest you as well...

My next door neighbor got a metal detector a couple months ago and after seeing it, I got the itch again! (had one years ago)

My wife got me one for Christmas!! Yesterday my buddy and I went over to my old stomping grounds (woods) where I grew up. For whatever reason I had a feeling there was something in those woods! haha

I was right!

Out in the middle of the woods, about 20' or so from a creek, 4 inches deep.. he found this...

It's about the size of a silver dollar..

jay franklin.jpg

jay franklin back.jpg

The back of the bottom says Sterling and below that the number 1011. have NO idea what the 1011 means ??

A piece of it broke in his pocket.. it went across the top of it and looked something similar to this.. looks like maybe a ribbon went through it?

http://worthopedia.s3.amazonaws.com/images/thumbnails2/1/0309/08/1_2fe858aa30a3c91237e8dee5f3c629d9.jpg

Sooo, when we get home I put it out on Facebook in a group that was created for our local area (if you grew up here) type thing where people talk about the history of our community.

Soon there were comments from several making suggestions and then I get a phone call.

As you can see on the piece, there is a name engraved "Jay Franklin" BUT, looks to me like the last name is spelled different no "i" before the n.

The woods where the piece was found was off of a road called "North Franklin Road"

The phone call was from a lady who said someone had seen my post on FB and she was Jay Franklin's Granddaughter! She didn't know anything about the piece and hadn't seen a picture of it yet so I emailed her one and haven't heard back from her at this point.

If it IS her grandfather, he was a WWI vet, died in the 50's and didn't live near where we found the piece??

So, does anyone have a clue as to what this is or where it may have came from? I'm hoping someone from the family will get back with me with some info but thought I'd toss it out here as well.

Thanks!
Jake

Back
Top Bottom