Finally getting out tomorrow

FishAholic929

Taking my youngest (13) daughter out tomorrow to the 800 Acre farm I have permission to hunt in Stafford County, VA. We'll start out the day around the 200 year old abandoned farm house and its surrounding barns on the property. Depending on how we do there, I just found out that the County Treasurer used to live on the other side of the farm and apparently there is an old overgrown road he used to use to travel to work by horse and buggy every day, so I might go find that trail and work that for a little while. I can't wait to get back and post photos of my finds.

Well, everything is sitting here ready to go, now if my wife will just get home so she can watch the babies while my daughter and I head out..... waiting kinda sucks....

Well that was just about a bust.....I'm really good at finding beer cans 2" down though. It seems that is all we were hitting on, well that and Barbed wire. Now, honestly, the old house was much more difficult than I anticipated. Apparently the last guy to ever live there drank more than his share of beer, so if I dug up one, I dug up 3 dozen beer cans. We did manage to find an old blade off of a piece of farm equipment, what appears to be a copper button with a train on it and more nails than I care to count. The house had round bales surrounding it, so we couldn't get full access to what was once the front and back yard. After giving up there, we moved to the other end of the farm to find the old horse and buggy road. Well we found it, and a ton of pot holes the guy must've filled in with rocks and trash, I dug up the first one to about 12", detector was still going nuts over the hole and I'd pulled out more rock than would naturally occur in that clay, never did pull a piece of metal out of the hole though. But, as we made it further down the trail, I found more and more of these holes that were filled in with rock. After leaving that we went up to the corner of the front field that they say has given up some buttons and bullets, we followed a creekbed for 100 yards or so and came up empty there. I have pictures on my camera that I will post when I download them.

Ok so here are my pics. My wife drove off with the plow blade in the back of her 4Runner so I couldn't get that. My daughter loves the little button. When we found it there was still Fabric (although very degraded fabric) on the back of it so I'm guessing it probably isn't that old. You can see the creekbed I worked in the pictures of the field. Apparently the field and wood line where the 4Runner is parked has given up buttons and bullets before, So I really want to try and work that at some point. I think my best approach is to first find someone with a little more experience to go with me and second to actually use some rope and stakes to section it off so I can work sections at a time. It is a huge field, and for those of you who have been doing this for a while it might not seem overwhelming, but man...to stand in the corner of that field and think "I want to look through this whole field" I just don't know where to start. So any suggestions other than sectioning it off with string and stakes would be welcome!!

Attachments

• IMGP0291.jpg
    IMGP0291.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMGP0292.jpg
    IMGP0292.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMGP0293.jpg
    IMGP0293.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMGP0294.jpg
    IMGP0294.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 84
  • button.jpg
    button.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 70
If I were going to do that field, I would first section it on a drawing, with landmarks being the 'section posts'. Before I did that though, I would go back to that hole in the road with the rocks.. if you were getting a metal signal, SOMETHING is there... use a pinpointer, but find it. Also, try to imagine the field sixty, eighty years ago... look for rock walls and depressions in the land. It is a big job - obviously. Will take years to cover it all. Good luck, RickO

If I were to go back to that old road and hole, we're weeks of work. It seemed I was hitting on something every 10' or so, all the same story, 1-2" of topsoil then clay and rocks.....Every one which set off just about every type of metal on the detector.....But maybe I will try it, and use a real shovel instead of the little hand one that my daughter is carrying in the picture....

Back
Top Bottom