Old padlock found today!

agbkyle

Forum Supporter
Decided on my lunch break to search this lot right down the street from me off a main road.
Used to be a very old house here. They tore it down to make a road for new condos. Site hasn't been worked on for about 6 months now (must be tied up in red tape - lucky for me :) )
Just a huge dirt lot and in first 5 minutes found this neat old Corbin lock.
Appears to be heavy brass and has to be quite old seeing as the key hole is that of a skeleton key.
Needless to say I'll be back there tonight.
I'm new to the hobby, just got first detector ever last Friday and if this doesn't get me pumped..lol

Attachments

• lock1.jpg
    lock1.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 495
That is awesome! I can't wait to hear what else you find. Can you take a picture of the lot? That would be cool to see where you're hunting.

Just perusing the net and bored in general, I think the lock was manufactured in Chicago, IL circa 1930,s. There should be some nice finds there to follow.................

Just perusing the net and bored in general, I think the lock was manufactured in Chicago, IL circa 1930,s. There should be some nice finds there to follow.................

Thanks for the info!! That's pretty cool. I remember the house that was there and it was quite old and run down. Could have been built late 1800's early 1900's.

Great find! I have one just like that! And I will ask you samething everybody asks me "Did you find the key" :no: At least I didn't. Just think what you may find tomorrow.

That sure is a neat way to start. I'll bet you had no trouble hearing that target. You can find coins any time, but old locks are sure less frequent. Congratulations!!

Just a tip.....(Because I've hit old lots before and got yelled at) If you're "Not supposed to be there" act like you are. If you go at night you will be portrayed as a "Poacher" or bad guy. I would just stick with the daytime. Worst someone can do is tell you to get off their empty completely unused function-less lot.:DJust don't want you to get in trouble. HH
NC

Very cool lock. That entire lock is made of brass. It is a good sign that the lot hasn't been hunted. A solid hit like that would make anyone with a detector dig.

Just a tip.....(Because I've hit old lots before and got yelled at) If you're "Not supposed to be there" act like you are. If you go at night you will be portrayed as a "Poacher" or bad guy. I would just stick with the daytime. Worst someone can do is tell you to get off their empty completely unused function-less lot.:DJust don't want you to get in trouble. HH
NC
Get one of those bright orange safety vest like city employees use. It works for me.

Very nice lock...if you can clean it up (soak in kerosene etc), I think you could easily find a key in the antique shops... those keys are quite common and not intricate. RickO

Back
Top Bottom