A Couple Flat Buttons & Shout Out to Maprika

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I haven’t had too much hunt time this week - lots of work, poor weather, and Mom in town for a visit. But I did take a couple trips to a new permission, totaling about 3 hours in the two trips. I found the site by overlaying an 1880s map in GoogleEarth, and I was thrilled to see the former home site was located in a field owned by an entity that I had great contacts for.

So securing permission was an easy slam dunk - but finding the actual spot in the field was a nice example of the benefits of using the Maprika app. When I first got to the field, I walked out to a spot that I assumed was the former house site - discolored ground on a slightly raised area. Expecting to see debris, I was surprised to see nothing but clean dirt. I wandered around a bit more in search of debris with no luck. So I pulled out the phone, took a screenshot of the relevant 1880s map, imported it into Maprika, made 4 quick anchor points, and bam - in less than 5 minutes, I could see I was off by at least 100 yards. With Maprika’s guidance, I walked straight to the middle of the debris field! Simply an amazing app!

Anyways, for all that, I wasn’t able to find much in those two short hunts. I managed to score a couple flat buttons - both had broken shanks, but I like them for a couple reasons. First they confirm that the site is older, but second, they both are labeled in ways that are new to me.

The first one is inscribed “Treble Gilt Colour” and an old school abbreviation for “Standard” - which, according to Cincinnati Museum Center info, means the button originally was gilt with 3 times the standard amount of gold.

The second one is labeled “Warranted Orange” - I never heard of this type of marking for gilt buttons before, but a web search quickly turned up a ton of examples with the similar backmarks.

Other than the buttons, I turned up 2 lantern knobs and 4 headstamps - a couple of the headstamps are more recent (mid-1900s), but a couple are definitely older. I can’t find any info for the “Club No12” stamp, but I suspect it’s quite old, just based on the simplistic design and I also know that the UMC “New Club” headstamps can be from the turn of the century. Don’t really know if this one is associated with UMC or not, though :?:

The Winchester headstamp had me excited at first - it’s just the bottom plate of the headstamp (without the metal collar for the rest of the shell), so it looked for all the world like a nickel when I turned the plug and it rolled right out. The site has yet to turn up a coin....the Wheatie in the pics is just there for scale.

Last was a pretty cool iron relic. I came across a choppy but repeatable signal that bounced up into some high tones - I was 99% certain it was junk based on the audio, but I was digging everything repeatable. Out came the fairly large iron object pictured below - no idea what it is, but I like it! I don’t keep a lot of the iron I dig, but this one is definitely headed for the electrolysis bucket! I’ll probably post it in the “ID me” section to see if anyone knows what it might be :?:

Sorry it’s nothing more interesting, but it’s the best I got for the week :lol: Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 72D0F840-FEF4-4C32-91AC-2CA3516DEA87.jpg
    72D0F840-FEF4-4C32-91AC-2CA3516DEA87.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 217
  • 9D9C690F-AE0D-416C-B3A3-8F58B7C8954D.jpg
    9D9C690F-AE0D-416C-B3A3-8F58B7C8954D.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 43A395D3-8340-424D-8418-392741847B21.jpg
    43A395D3-8340-424D-8418-392741847B21.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 147
  • 9B734072-8899-410C-8D4C-92B9CF096531.jpg
    9B734072-8899-410C-8D4C-92B9CF096531.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 153
  • BD7970CE-C8A0-440D-A0E5-4BB780F7E3EA.jpg
    BD7970CE-C8A0-440D-A0E5-4BB780F7E3EA.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 140
  • C613567E-0F1C-4C6F-80E6-448E0F0DAA68.jpg
    C613567E-0F1C-4C6F-80E6-448E0F0DAA68.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 2162C686-CFEA-47D9-8E25-81B6919FC934.jpg
    2162C686-CFEA-47D9-8E25-81B6919FC934.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 136
Awesome research and hunt. That iron price looks like some early single tree hardware.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181104-181911_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20181104-181911_Samsung Internet.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 179
Great new spot you got there with lots of potential.

There are some nice old buttons. From what have read 'colour' is the British spelling and makes it a British made button.

The unknown iron seems to be Horse Tack or cart, plow related.
Someone will know.

I like the Club No 12 head stamp. Agree that is probably a really old one.
I also have had the heart skip seeing the edge of old head stamps that are just a disk.
Will be watching from more finds you get from that site,

The only info I can find on that headstamp would say it’s not umc co but manufactured by an American company called club. My guess is pre 1880 paper shell.

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

Awesome research and hunt. That iron price looks like some early single tree hardware.

Thanks, SW! It sure looks a lot like the bottom item in the pic you posted...I think you may have nailed it!

Great new spot you got there with lots of potential.

There are some nice old buttons. From what have read 'colour' is the British spelling and makes it a British made button.

The unknown iron seems to be Horse Tack or cart, plow related.
Someone will know.

I like the Club No 12 head stamp. Agree that is probably a really old one.
I also have had the heart skip seeing the edge of old head stamps that are just a disk.
Will be watching from more finds you get from that site,

Thanks, waltr! I agree, the “colour” spelling is probably a sure sign that this one was imported from England. I haven’t many flat buttons, but I’ve come to really appreciate them - no two have been the same for me so far!

I really hope to track down some info on the Club No 12 stamp - not a lot to go on, but I have the feeling it might be one of the oldest I’ve found. Amazing shape overall - I literally just rinsed it off in the sink for the pic!

The only info I can find on that headstamp would say it’s not umc co but manufactured by an American company called club. My guess is pre 1880 paper shell.

Thanks, L0S3R... I think you’re right - based on your post, I did some new searches and found a site with a picture of a “Club No 10” headstamp, and they attribute it to a manufacturer called “Club”. No date range for it on the site though. Thanks for the lead...it’s got me going in the right direction!

Glad to see you made it out. The weather looks like it's going to get pretty cold for the weekend coming up. Your shotgun head stamps cleaned up really nice. Do you use the same technique to clean them as you do your wheat pennies?

It's been awhile since I found any flat buttons those are looking pretty snazzy to and nice job on the history.

I have still not master the technique of maprika. I did one here recently walk to where I thought the house sites were using landmarks that I've seen from an overview map. Pulled out my phone to check maprika and my overlay showed me a quarter of a mile out in the middle of no-man's-land:lol: good thing I do not have to depend on my map skills for survival I would end up on the news.

Thanks, L0S3R... I think you’re right - based on your post, I did some new searches and found a site with a picture of a “Club No 10” headstamp, and they attribute it to a manufacturer called “Club”. No date range for it on the site though. Thanks for the lead...it’s got me going in the right direction!

Not a problem, wish I could’ve found more for ya. Seems to me a fairly rare headstamp.

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

Thats Amazingly Crazy! How you pulled that Maprika app and used it to put you on the track of a long gone site! Thats using the tools of Technology!...

I like those finds ya got there Tango..and especially how you got them! The Black Swamp has got some really old dirt....

Do you use the same technique to clean them as you do your wheat pennies?

Yep, exactly the same technique! Works very nicely for brass as well as copper. Only exception was that "Club No 12" stamp - it came out of the ground quite clean. I literally just rinsed it quickly with water for the pic. The soil it was in was quite sandy, so I'm sure that helped - but I wonder if the headstamp isn't made of a higher quality brass than the others, too. It definitely came out cleaner than all the others.

It's been awhile since I found any flat buttons those are looking pretty snazzy to and nice job on the history.

Thanks! I've been surprised by how much I enjoy finding flat buttons - they aren't the most glamorous find, but each one I've found has been unique. And I like that they have a more personal connection with history and an individual, similar to the reason why I like trade tokens so much.

I have still not master the technique of maprika......good thing I do not have to depend on my map skills for survival I would end up on the news.

:lol: No doubt Maprika can be a little tricky at first, but it's well worth putting some extra effort into learning it - anchor points are definitely the key. As long as they're reasonably accurate, you don't need many...like in this case, 4 anchors was enough to get me where I needed to be! Our next hunt together I can give a quick tutorial if you want :grin:

Thats Amazingly Crazy! How you pulled that Maprika app and used it to put you on the track of a long gone site! Thats using the tools of Technology!...

I like those finds ya got there Tango..and especially how you got them! The Black Swamp has got some really old dirt....

Thanks, Mud! It was actually the first time I used the app on the fly - I usually prepare the map overlays in advance. But this time I was soooo certain I knew exactly were the site was, I didn't bother :roll: Shows how much I know!! Anyways, I was pleasantly surprised by how easily I created the new overlay, in the field, and got back on track...all within minutes! Cool stuff!

Back
Top Bottom