What is the recommended way to contacting a Private Property Owner?

You said you've "staked out" a driveway for hours and hours waiting for someone to pull in. ....

Kob, again: You're envisioning this wrong. If it's the way you envision it, then sure, you'd be right. Ie.: a peeping Tom sort of geek parked in front of your house.

I'm talking about a long distance away, at the times when-it's-to-be-expected that .... typical folk get home . And on streets that it's not unusual for some car to be parked, and it would not "stick out".

Based on your mental perceptions , you'd be 100% correct. But I'm just talking about something like "Timing the walking of your dog to happen-chance be walking past at the time they're mowing their lawn", etc.... Not the bumbling-fool who sits in a lawn chair next to their country road mail-box.

Not to be offensive to you... but he's not making a mistake and does not need you to cut him any slack. There's a reason he is one of the best "permission getters" on the forum.( and maybe a few reasons we won't mention, lol)

Thanx USA . But I'll admit, my choice of words-to-describe could have been better.

I used to hunt with a guy who could walk up to total strangers. And ... 5 minutes later we'd be given "carte-blanche" to any and everything. I studied his words, intonations, methods, etc....

Dang it Tom, I thought that was just the meter reader sitting in his car down there with the Binocs... but it’s you!! I am at the window now, how many large cents am I holding up?

Not to be offensive to you... but he's not making a mistake and does not need you to cut him any slack. There's a reason he is one of the best "permission getters" on the forum.( and maybe a few reasons we won't mention, lol)

Cmon...hours and hours ? Hey.. if it works on occasion for him , goodie gum drops. But on my street and many others it would be a cold day in hell. Like many other posts here , face to face , selling yourself is the best way. It's a different world today. Some can sell. Others can't. That's why it's one of the highest paid positions in the world.

I remember as a kid , nobody really locked there front doors at night. And once when we moved to a new neighborhood , a family about 8 houses down came over and introduced themselves. When I opened the door , a woman was there with a freshly baked chocolate cake ! We all became good friends.
Don't think this happens in today's society. Sad....

yes! i remember those days as well! makes me feel sad too! everybody seemed so much more open,and trusting.it wasn't because people were "naive" it was because people wanted to help each other out, and be kinder to one another. seems like only yesterday, but it was so long ago! ..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

The fundamentals

In person tell them who you are, what you do, where you're from, and what you want..the conversation will either end right there or continue hopefully with success.

People, situations, personalities, and conditions are all different which makes each encounter unique. Therefore? it's a hit or miss roll of the dice for every hunter until the owner says one of 3 things.

Sic em Spike!!, Get the He** off my place, or here's the key to the gate.:D

well said, and right as rain! again you have to 'dedicate" yourself to this, and that requires a commitment of time. tons of guys, myself included, got the brew, and the (balls), but NOT the time! just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Last edited:

must have the patience of "job" some guys do have it, and all the more power to him if he's one of them! fact is, ya gotta ''sell yourself" in a few minutes, but guess what?.the world is full of salesmanship!.everybody buys somethin' sooner or later, and every squirrel finds a nut once in awhile, and ya definitely "need' all the breaks you can get when you "cold knock" people's doors!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Dang it Tom, I thought that was just the meter reader sitting in his car down there with the Binocs... but it’s you!! I am at the window now, how many large cents am I holding up?

he he! he! ehe! i like this! he'll be right over! heh! ehe! he!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

It's more like : what color is my underwear ? Just hilarious !!!

for sure! tough times we live in! guy like him gets too eager, and some people notice him sittin' there,and then he decides to "approach" well! you can kinda "fill in the blanks!" touchy world we live in! be careful out there!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

When you figure out who owns the property, what method do you guys recommend using to contact them? A letter or phone call? I feel like a letter would be less intrusive.

Face to face and offer to help find anything they have lost on the property.

for some reason, not sure what that might be, but i believe this
has a better chance of working "down south".perhaps they are more "trusting"
in the south as opposed to elsewhere...just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
I'm in California.

Face to face or you’re wasting your time.

Recently I got a permission I has chased for 6 years. I had to go to a nursing home to accomplish it but it was worth it

Recently I got a permission I has chased for 6 years. I had to go to a nursing home to accomplish it but it was worth it
What if the property has a no trespassing sign in front of the driveway?

A nursing home ? Too funny ! Now that's dedication. What next ? Maybe visit a grave site. They'd probably all say yes , I don't care, go ahead and hunt it .

(h.h.!)
j.t.

good luck!
be sure to wear your "crazy" hat when ya ask?
any chance you could get permission if you offer to"clean"
the sidewalk? he! ehe! heh!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom