Surfmaster PI DF home repair possible?

havenalmighty

Forum Supporter
Hi friends,

It's been something like 5 years since I've used my favorite detector.

A family member broke it long ago while borrowing it and didn't offer to pay for it to get fixed.

I didn't and still don't have enough money saved up to send it to Whites repair.

It doesn't and didn't at the time seem to be a water damage / o ring seal issue.

Machine doesn't make any sounds.

If I can get my hands on a voltmeter does anyone know an easy way to determine if X component has failed? To determine, for example, if the detector is functioning but sound isn't OR the detector isn't functioning altogether.

If sound isn't working because of a bad capacitor/resistor on a 20+ year old machine, then that should be easy to fix myself with a replacement component and solder for under $50. :)

I did find a schematic online for the Pi Pro, but not the DF. It does look to me to be almost the same though!

Yes, those are the ones online that look very similar.

I can't find anywhere that says DF or Dual Field on the schematic page.

Can anyone tell by looking at the schematic if it is DF or not?

Many thanks.

Might suggest starting at the head phones to see if the cable is broken, then the power source, then the coil..disconnect to see how it affects the audio if it has any. Then the switch pots, check each to see how each affects operation. If you can get a audiosears speaker, 2463, you can use it to see if the machine has a (SEND Field). Like I do in this video...testing the excalibur, the speaker has a coil in it that picks up the field and shows it strength

I don't recall you having a DF. I remember you having one that looked like this (i believe) with a broken shaft? That was awhile back Kai.:yes:

Attachments

• SPIbeach.jpg
    SPIbeach.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 897
I agree Gil.... maybe something as simple as the battery or connector..... OR even the HEADPHONES. That family member wasnt dumb enough to turn the volume off in the box? If you have another machine..... turn on the DF and see if it affects the other machine. Most PIs working will.

Dew

Wow hey folks!

Lots of good ideas in here!

@Aquaman you're right about me not having a dual field. You do have one though. And it explains why the PCB doens't say dual field anywhere on it or seem to have dual field circuitry. :D Oh and the broken shaft is the Ace 250 which is maybe repairable but in pretty bad shape. I've learned my lesson. Keep everything clean and take batteries out if storing.

Checking for interference with my garrett carrot will indeed tell me something new pretty quickly I hope. Also messing with the headphones.

But first, I actually need to get a replacement battery holder because mine is nogo. This could be the issue but I told myself that I'm good enough with aluminum foil and and tape to know it's surely not that. If it's that then I'm going to be the first one laughing. :lol:

Lets hope it's a cheap fix. I don't own a DF presently. Just a couple Excals. Gave the SS to a friend. Getting dry rot recovering from shoulder surgery.

havenalmighty. maybe you have a Surfmaster II ?
I have a working board (very cheap if it requires replacement if you checked the battery, headphones, coil)

Battery contacts replacement

The stainless steel contacts that touch the bat pack are replaceable. Not rocket science. They can become bent from forcing the pack in, brittle from leaving the bats in when not in use, the tips decay and make for no contact etc etc etc.

Requires removing yhe mother board, a 100 watt soldering iron, and a screwdriver. Remve the screw desolder the point replace contacts and resolder with silver solder. Reassemble and get back to finding treasure.

You can try bending the contacts back to a better contact with a hooked device, but it seldom works without making things worse.

The parts are available from a repairing dealer. around 65 cents each.
The contacts in the battery pack are hens teeth, you need to replace the pack
for a ten spot. Hope things work out

Wow hey folks!

Lots of good ideas in here!

@Aquaman you're right about me not having a dual field. You do have one though. And it explains why the PCB doens't say dual field anywhere on it or seem to have dual field circuitry. :D Oh and the broken shaft is the Ace 250 which is maybe repairable but in pretty bad shape. I've learned my lesson. Keep everything clean and take batteries out if storing.

Checking for interference with my garrett carrot will indeed tell me something new pretty quickly I hope. Also messing with the headphones.

But first, I actually need to get a replacement battery holder because mine is nogo. This could be the issue but I told myself that I'm good enough with aluminum foil and and tape to know it's surely not that. If it's that then I'm going to be the first one laughing. :lol:
I've been following and am waiting to hear about the results. BTW, would love to see some pics of your machine and the battery area.

An easy way to share pictures is to use your cell phone and download the taptalk app. Then, when you respond to a thread, there is a photo attachment option that makes it easy to resize and post photos. Just my $0.02 :D

I've been following and am waiting to hear about the results. BTW, would love to see some pics of your machine and the battery area.

An easy way to share pictures is to use your cell phone and download the taptalk app. Then, when you respond to a thread, there is a photo attachment option that makes it easy to resize and post photos. Just my $0.02 :D

Trust me David when I tell you this kids wicked smart. Then again, your not a kid anymore:no: Let me know if there's anything I can help you with Ka'i.

The update

:D:D:D

It wasn't the battery holder itself, but the corrosion from battery acid which had spread through the power cables into the plug thing (pcb side plug not 9V plug). They must not have been making contact with the plug thing and therefore no contact with the pcb.

When I touched the leads without the plug to the pcb I heard some noise!!

Jammed the new clean power cables into the old plug and kept hearing some noise! Then it stopped...

The batteries had fallen out during the process of packing them into the box. This happens because I didn't order a replacement battery holder from Whites but from Amazon where it is 5x cheaper. It's like a smidgen too large so it is a very very tight fit but if I am careful then I can close up the box without bumping batteries out.

Success!!

I am soooo excited you have no idea!

I've been going hunting every day with a TRX pinpointer (which I call a carrot even though it isn't one) attached to the skeleton of my Ace 250.

It's totally not very good at all, but it works better than you'd think.

There's also a strange benefit of not having to sweep from side to side as you would a typical MD. This has let me get into tight spots no MD I have can fit in. Obvious, but still pretty neat in practice.

I am soooo excited you have no idea!

I've been going hunting every day with a TRX pinpointer (which I call a carrot even though it isn't one) attached to the skeleton of my Ace 250.

It's totally not very good at all, but it works better than you'd think.

There's also a strange benefit of not having to sweep from side to side as you would a typical MD. This has let me get into tight spots no MD I have can fit in. Obvious, but still pretty neat in practice.

Wow, that's tenacity for sure!

I knew you'd figure it out. I'm not going anywhere...I'm around. Still got about 1 month of physical therapy remaining on this shoulder and then this dry rot ends!

Back
Top Bottom