Advice in certain scenorios

longbow62

Forum Supporter
I currently use a Nokta impact, but I don't think the type of detector matters in this scenario. I have had it happen just as often using my old Whites XLT. So you get a high tone and numbers are solid all the way 360 degrees around the target. Also the target is not long it's confined to a tite area just like a coin. It sounds a little loud to be a good target. The detector says it's like two inches down, but sometimes even deeper like 5-6 inches. You decide to dig it's much deeper than the given depth. Most of time I say screw it when I find out it is deeper than my plug in order to not dig a huge hole in a yard or park. So I have found if I lift my coil up progressively higher over the target once you get the coil higher than you can possibly detect a dime or quarter it means don't bother with it. I find it very frustrating weeding out bad signals. Is the method I describe about lifting the coil a good one to use?

In areas with a lot of boomer tones from junk I sometimes get so used to hearing the screaming loud bad targets I fear I might be getting numb to high tones that are much less in volume. Any ideas on how not to get ear fatigue where there is junk every where?

Some detectors will overload on a large shallow target, some folk run their gain to high and and their modulated audio maxed out, which can make shallow coins sound like bigger targets, so it's dependent on the Detector and the settings as to how effective raising the coil will be.
To be honest on private property where i have solo use, i dig out these big signals because say it's a crushed drinks can etc, if there's small targets within about a foot in any direction of it, they will probably be masked.

You know......I use the exact same method with an iffy signal. I go at it from different directions and angles, to get a partial idea of it's shape. I also progressively raise the coil and listen to the audio. If you know your machine well, you can easily calculate it's size with good accuracy, and make a good calculated decision on whether to dig it or not. And that would be influenced by my purpose of hunting. ie coin/jewelry hunting vs. relic hunting.

Those are good good hunting techniques, which are not usually in the detector manuals, but learned through practical experience in the field.

:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom