Buffalo nickles

graybeard

Elite Member
Where are the buffalo nickles? I have found over 40 nickles with none older than 1940, using the Equinox 800, they must hate my Equinox.

I have found shield, v and buffalo nickles with other detectors, must be because it is a nickle magnet that the other nickles jump in the way.

Where are the buffalo nickles? I have found over 40 nickles with none older than 1940, using the Equinox 800, they must hate my Equinox.

I have found shield, v and buffalo nickles with other detectors, must be because it is a nickle magnet that the other nickles jump in the way.

Maybe they don't exist where you hunt.

I have found them, and many others here too.

If you have a buffalo nickel bury it about 10" deep and watch what Nox does to it.

I think that your problem is you're using the Equinox 800, and that's only supposed to find 18kt and higher gold...no junk like buffalo nickels...only gold and some platinum

Well, at least according to the stories here that's what it seems like :)

In all my years detecting I have found multiple v’s, war nickels and only 1 Buff! The one in my avatar....

I have a school yard permission that I racked up 175 nickels at (so... close to 200) and only 1 is a war & zero buffs. (have 3 buffs total in 6 years detecting)
It happens.

Last edited:
I know this will sound crazy, but I believe coin types come in streaks.
Nickels are the worst!
One month I found like 4-5 war nickels, then no more for several months...

Maybe they don't exist where you hunt.

I have found them, and many others here too.

If you have a buffalo nickel bury it about 10" deep and watch what Nox does to it.

Most of my nickles are from a park from around 1820, and still in use today.
So why wouldn't there be buffalo nickles there?

Someone swung over them first? Not as many dropped during the period they were in circulation. Park saw less traffic when they were in circulation? You just haven’t got your coil over the ones that are there?

Could be any one of those reasons and any combination of those reasons. Plain old luck of the draw? [emoji23]

It happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I least expect to find something, I find it. I don't expect I'll be finding a silver dollar or a gold coin anytime soon.

beephead

Hello,
The NOX 800 is the best nickel machine I've owned. I went out this afternoon at an old church that is been hunted out and found 3 V's. A 1893, 1899 and a 1906 at a spot I hammered with my CTX. Every one was a 12. Earlier I found two buffs on the other side of the site that rang up a 12 and a 13, all five in VERY heavy iron.
Settings.
Park 2
50 tone
Recovery at 4
Iron Bias 1
HH!

Yes, buffs hate the Equinox, it's been proven :laughing:

Maybe the area you're hunting started as a homestead in the 1800's, then perhaps fire, tornado, or just time took the structures down, then the ground was possibly farmed or just sat idle for decade after decade (passing-over the buffalo years) prior to now being a Park.

Hello,
The NOX 800 is the best nickel machine I've owned. I went out this afternoon at an old church that is been hunted out and found 3 V's. A 1893, 1899 and a 1906 at a spot I hammered with my CTX. Every one was a 12. Earlier I found two buffs on the other side of the site that rang up a 12 and a 13, all five in VERY heavy iron.
Settings.
Park 2
50 tone
Recovery at 4
Iron Bias 1
HH!

Cool, I'll go look at pics.......

Yes, buffs hate the Equinox, it's been proven :laughing:

Maybe the area you're hunting started as a homestead in the 1800's, then perhaps fire, tornado, or just time took the structures down, then the ground was possibly farmed or just sat idle for decade after decade (passing-over the buffalo years) prior to now being a Park.

The town was established in 1816. The park was established by 1876.

The town was established in 1816. The park was established by 1876.

Then that is a bit odd.....only other guess was possibly a gold hunter hit it?

That said, after detecting for several years, and in many areas where coinage hit many different types/years, I found my 1st buff last year.

Here ya go!

Attachments

• v nics 002.jpg
    v nics 002.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 151
Back
Top Bottom