Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 04-25-2017, 09:21 PM

Default Garrett Ace 250 pinpointing issue

i got my Garrett Ace 250 metal detector 3 days ago and everything was working fine, and now it recently rained and the ground is wet and when i use it now it still detects metal targets accurately but when i use the pinpoint setting it seems to do the constant ringing with full bars as if it is directly over the target when it is over any grass area even though i know there is no metal there but when i put it over concrete it stops. im wondering if the wet grass is effecting it someway or if it is caused by something else?

Old 04-25-2017, 11:16 PM
Elite Member

When the soil is wet it makes any electrolytes more reactive than if the soil is dry. Like set sand vs dry sand. The salt in suspension makes the coil go bonkers. Is it all grass areas that are wet, or just that ONE grassy area that are effecting your 250. Try taking it to a different location and see what happens.

Usually I like wet soil, the targets light up a bit more under the coil. The soil here in Seattle is mostly acidic. Don't have to worry to much about ground balance issues.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:24 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by jake-38 View post
i got my Garrett Ace 250 metal detector 3 days ago and everything was working fine, and now it recently rained and the ground is wet and when i use it now it still detects metal targets accurately but when i use the pinpoint setting it seems to do the constant ringing with full bars as if it is directly over the target when it is over any grass area even though i know there is no metal there but when i put it over concrete it stops. im wondering if the wet grass is effecting it someway or if it is caused by something else?
Is your senstivty at max or close to it. I use that same machine for 5 years. Works fines what it says it does. I am amazed at how small of the targets it can find. Once I found a metal ball the size of a bb by its self !

Old 04-25-2017, 11:25 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by jake-38 View post
I'll be glad to help anyway

Old 04-26-2017, 12:38 AM

i put the sensitivity all the way down and it still does it.