Just ordered Andy Sabisch's CTX Book

North Shore

Looking forward to getting that in, I feel like there is some silver still at these public sites I hunt. I've found about 8 silver coins so far this year, all were tough signals.

Any advice on setting up the CTX for tough north east post civil war / turn of the century parks?

Looking forward to getting that in, I feel like there is some silver still at these public sites I hunt. I've found about 8 silver coins so far this year, all were tough signals.

Any advice on setting up the CTX for tough north east post civil war / turn of the century parks?

He does a great job at explaining how the detector works and why signals appear one way vs another. With that understanding, you'll have a much better ability to discern the good from the bad. He also has some interesting tips for GB settings.

For coins, give Bill's Trashy Park pattern a try. I like 50 tones with high trash separation, deep ON fast OFF. Sweep slow and low. Listen small. CTX is a silver sucking beast!

For coins, give Bill's Trashy Park pattern a try. I like 50 tones with high trash separation, deep ON fast OFF. Sweep slow and low. Listen small. CTX is a silver sucking beast!

Am I digging any and all high tone at that point? I've been doing that and coming up with unidentifiable iron and square nails. Remove the iron and go back over the hole and no reading at all.

Am I digging any and all high tone at that point? I've been doing that and coming up with unidentifiable iron and square nails. Remove the iron and go back over the hole and no reading at all.

There’s a few tricks you can use to weed out most falsing iron. One is pinpoint location. If the target pinpoints a little off to the side of where you heard the tone, likely iron.

Target Trace can give you some clues too. If you see light streaks coming up from the bottom right hand side or just a bunch of random spatters as you sweep the target, likely falsing iron. A good target will usually start to build a solid dot in the open part of your pattern. Target Trace pinpoint is really useful for seeing this. Of course if it’s a good target near iron or other junk you might see a smear instead of a dot. Some really deep targets don’t show much on Target Trace.

You can sometimes tell the difference in tone too. A lot of times falsing iron tones will be hit or miss. Not as solid and not as consistent with every swing.

Running manual sensitivity a little too high can increase falsing too. Might need to back it down a notch.

None of these methods are 100% perfect. As you get more time in using the machine you’ll start to key in on the differences, but even then sometimes iron targets (especially round iron) will sound amazing and will pass all of the tests above. You just gotta dig those. I’ve been using the CTX and Etrac for years now and I still get fooled occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s a few tricks you can use to weed out most falsing iron. One is pinpoint location. If the target pinpoints a little off to the side of where you heard the tone, likely iron.

Target Trace can give you some clues too. If you see light streaks coming up from the bottom right hand side or just a bunch of random spatters as you sweep the target, likely falsing iron. A good target will usually start to build a solid dot in the open part of your pattern. Target Trace pinpoint is really useful for seeing this. Of course if it’s a good target near iron or other junk you might see a smear instead of a dot. Some really deep targets don’t show much on Target Trace.

You can sometimes tell the difference in tone too. A lot of times falsing iron tones will be hit or miss. Not as solid and not as consistent with every swing.

Running manual sensitivity a little too high can increase falsing too. Might need to back it down a notch.

None of these methods are 100% perfect. As you get more time in using the machine you’ll start to key in on the differences, but even then sometimes iron targets (especially round iron) will sound amazing and will pass all of the tests above. You just gotta dig those. I’ve been using the CTX and Etrac for years now and I still get fooled occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome advice right here. The iron falses are weak and “hollow” sounding. A true good target SHOULD produce mostly good VDI. When DeWayne says “listen small” you’re listening for a short DURATION signal that’s more solid and consistent...something that just seems small. If you have the mojo to put in MANY hours the machine will make you realize why it has the reputation it does. Straight up unbelievable...

Read mine for the etrac several times.

Theres a lot of great info in there. Love mine. Sure CTX is gonna be even better.

Thanks everyone, I hope to squeeze a couple coins out of the few places I like to hunt that have been pounded to death.

Back
Top Bottom