Issue with 'new to me' Tesoro

magfarm

Newbie to the forum.

I just purchased a Tesoro Lobo ST through an auction and was unable to test it, fortunately I didn't pay a lot.

I downloaded the operator instruction manual from their site and started the setup procedure. I set the controls to the start up settings, when I turned on the THRESHOLD control to just past off I get chattering/popping noises after the battery test tone turns off. There is no metal near by.

Next I turn the SENSITIVITY control from min to 8, flipped the MODE switch to ALL MET and turned the THRESHOLD control clockwise. I can start hearing a more solid tone at the 12-1 o'clock positions but all the while still getting the chattering/popping noises.

I went through the air testing procedures in ALL MET and DISC modes and I get proper detection using different coins and settings, pinpoint, etc. but the static/popping/chattering persists.

Is this a bad unit and do I need to send it in for repair? Any advice is appreciated.

Allan

Don't "test" in house/garage, keep clear of cell phone, electrical wires, etc. be sure to use fresh batteries.

If after that you still have issues, go to Tesoros site and read the protocol for sending in for repair.

The Tesoro crew are good people. They’ll have it like brand new and most importantly restore your confidence in the machine. The peace of mind would be worth it alone to send it in.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try the test again outside with all fresh batteries and no cell phone. I emailed their tech support but no response yet, I'll try calling them.

Allan

Thanks for the advice. I'll try the test again outside with all fresh batteries and no cell phone. I emailed their tech support but no response yet, I'll try calling them.

Allan

When I had my Sand Shark I tried emailing them. Responses were spotty, but when I called them it was a different story. They were very friendly and any time they couldn't help me right away they called me back when they said they would and then finished helping.

Get some headphones....there's a good chance that it's simply a connection issue with the speaker.

Also, as you probably already know, make sure that the connection from the coil to the control box it tight. If you have another coil (or access to one for a few minutes), try swapping it out.

I LOVE tesoro machines....don't own one (yet), but a friend of mine has three and I've used them, and watched him use them and they're awesome.

Once you have it working properly, get a clean sweep coil....can't beat it for tot lots or sled hills

I have had wonderful experiences with Tesoro looking used machines over and giving them a once over.

I finally had time to try running through the quick start adjustment again, this time with all new batteries, outside away from large metal objects and without my cell phone. The machine performed exactly as described without the interference noise...I'm a happy camper and can't wait to get started :grin:

pryan67, it looks like the Clean Sweep coil is a 5-pin Epsilon and this machine is a 4-pin Delta.

Allan

I finally had time to try running through the quick start adjustment again, this time with all new batteries, outside away from large metal objects and without my cell phone. The machine performed exactly as described without the interference noise...I'm a happy camper and can't wait to get started :grin:

pryan67, it looks like the Clean Sweep coil is a 5-pin Epsilon and this machine is a 4-pin Delta.

Allan

Glad to hear that it's working for you now.

You're right about the cleansweep...bummer, those are awesome coils. I REALLY want one for my AT Pro...I might buy a Tesoro just to get one of those coils LOL

Back
Top Bottom