Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 04-26-2017, 07:53 AM
Elite Member

Default Secondary screen I.D.

As i'm still learning my Alter 71 i thought i'd a show few of the benefits i'm finding with the hodo screen I.D. vs a typical number readout.
I'm no expert, i'm just saying it as i find it as an average user, and there maybe points im off on lol
As im in the UK we have hundreds of coin types and in all ranges on the conductor scale, so we don't typically dig by numbers, we dig clean round sounding targets above iron, and anything that helps separate the trash i'm all for.
Items like thin tin sheet, at the right depth that can give you a high tone and at times a steady high number readout.
With many detectors, depending on what settings your machine has, you can maybe hear a slight iron tone, for talks sake say maybe 5% iron tone, but if you have disc out the iron, or have iron volume set low you may not hear this iron tone and mearly hear the high tone and corresponding number and think dig, then wonder why your machine is finding tin sheet.
Also with masking, if it's factory set low you may hear the iron tone easier on the tin sheet but you may be fooled by it spiking high toned off the edge of small iron nails etc
On the Rutus the hodo works independent of the audio channel, so the tin sheet on the hodo will give display showing such at a glance.
If i run with iron disc out, or a high masking level which could also remove the 5% iron tone, this may mean i only get only a 'dig me' high tone from the tin, but the hodo can give me a very decent % that it's tin sheet.

The top picture shows a piece of flat tin giving a high number readout, the lower pic is of a button of similar number readout, but the hodo clearly shows the button as a good target, the tin is spread all over the screen.
Attached Images

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:46 AM
Supporter

Thanks ghound. I think the hodograph is something that really sets this machine apart, especially when you consider machines at this price point.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:35 AM
Elite Member

Yes mate, learning as i go with it.
I had a message saying the headphone module will be available in the next few weeks, it's the type you plug your own headphones into, the detector has the sender built in.
Also there's new coils to come, cant wait!

Old 04-26-2017, 10:52 AM
Supporter

Laura at Detectnicks told me May 8 for the headphones. I don't know the cost.

I think I've decided to get one.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:25 AM
Elite Member

I did read somewhere they were silly cheap, but i'd guess around the 25-$35 mark.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:16 PM
Supporter

I just saw your video of the nail test:

https://youtu.be/onWfB02C4Rc

I didn't want to hijack that thread.

What settings you were using and what did the hodograph show?

Old 04-26-2017, 12:28 PM
Elite Member

I used a slow reactivity as the guy wanted to hear the iron grunt either side of the coin, 18khz and sensitivity around 70 out of 90, pretty tough test with such a big coil.
It gets it the same or a bit better with the Concentric coil, but around dense nails you'd need to be going slow and steady anyways, it gave a high number over the coin though a bit jumpy, but always a dig me number.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:42 PM
Supporter

That is very good. I assumed you'd be using the fast or ultra fast for that test.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:45 PM
Elite Member

No, when i turn it up full speed my brain can't keep up lol i can't forsee a situation where i'd need the full speed it has.