New (used) Detector

Soonerdg

I'm in the market for a new to me detector. I think for my current price range I'm looking at three possible detectors - the White's DFX, White's XLT and the Garrett AT PRO.

Between those three what would you recommend and why. I know I'm going to get varying opinions but I'm really looking a a real world review for each one by someone who has logged significant time in the field with one of these models. If you've logged time on two or all three I'd love to hear a comparison. I know the AT Pro is waterproof and that's a big plus.

I'm wanting to see how each machine measures up agains the others as far as depth, additional coils and accessories, sensitivity, ground balance capability, programs and so forth.

I mostly hunt parks, schools and homesites for coins and jewelery. But I wouldn't mind being able to use it for relics also.

Any info is greatly appriciated.

DFX, I have 2, I have 6 different coils for them, XLT is nice, had 2 sold them only 3 coils still made for it. ATP never used one but have heard from people who have owned the ATP and the DFX. Word was DFX is many times the ATP. The thing about the DFX is it is highly configurable allowing you to deal with just about every kind of ground condition you could encounter. With that comes a steep learning curve to be able to achieve the ability to know what to change, when and why.

Or follow the herd and get the ATP, many folks seem to like them and if you plan on doing any fresh water hunting then that would be a no brainer.

If you plan on doing wet salt sand, then the DFX is a no brainer.. as it run quiet as a mouse wet to dry to wet.

Also, the DFX is the follow on to the XLT, basically the same with the addition of the duel frequency and all the config options that go along with that aspect. It is a hell of a machine for what they are currently selling for used.
You can download the owners manual at whites site to get some idea of all the options and default configs.. Don't think you can configure your own options with an ATP.. you have 4 slots to save your custom configs with the DFX or XLT. Once you really learn the options you will only need one of 2 and make the alterations that need to be made for the current site conditions.

The DFX wins hands down when it comes to coil choices. I've used the DFX for more than 10 years now. I tried the XLT and it is a good detector but I felt the DFX was better. I also used the AT Pro which is probably the deepest of the three for flat out depth. The AT Pro is more limited on features. For example I think the AT Pro has like 12 target ID segments where the DFX has 191. That basically means a more precise target ID system. If that is important to you.

If I had to choose just one I'd go with either a good used DFX with a Eclipse 6x10 coil or the AT Pro. All three are great choices.

I've swung an AT Pro and XLT. The XLT was deeper and better target I'D. The At Pro has much faster recovery and will smoke the XLT in heavy trash. The XLT requires a fast swing speed. I liked the XLT for open areas with little trash. The At Pro gets the nod for target rich environments. I've never owned the DFX but I would like to. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I haven't used a DLF or an XLT, but I have used the ATPro and I can say that you would be happy with one. Especially if you are going in water. There is some good advice previously on the DFT and XLT also. If you are going for hunt parks, schools and homesites for coins and jewelry I suggest getting one with a 5x8 DD coil as they are great at separating out the trash. I use mine 95% of the time in those areas. I don't do much relic hinting but I do find tokens! Check the classifieds here in the forum for a good deal or call some of the sponsors for a deal on a new one.

Don't follow the herd, lead the herd! HH

I've swung an AT Pro and XLT. The XLT was deeper and better target I'D. The At Pro has much faster recovery and will smoke the XLT in heavy trash. The XLT requires a fast swing speed. I liked the XLT for open areas with little trash. The At Pro gets the nod for target rich environments. I've never owned the DFX but I would like to. Good luck with whatever you decide.

The XLT was a 4 filter machine meaning to see the difference between the slow changing response of the ground minerals and a target the signal would need to change fairly fast. This is why the XLT need to be moving fast to find deep targets. The DFX change to a digital filter that is adjustable from 2-6 then sweep speed is added to fine tune that. Letting you adjust the filtering to a comfortable motion and still hit the deep stuff. Recover speed is also adjustable but with the significantly faster processors of today, anything designed within the last couple of years is going to have better recovery. Using the proper size coil for the conditions is really the most important thing.. with the 4x6 on the DFX you can hunt in nail infested sites and pick out good stuff other wised masked by the trash.

Back
Top Bottom