CTX for relic hunting... looking for your thoughts

The Wolf

Elite Member
I've got the opportunity to pick up a CTX in trade for my F75 & AT Pro. I'm a relic hunter, mostly after civil war and colonial relics. I have concerns about how the machine will perform in those hunted out camps, homesites and battlefields. I like my setup, but I'm looking to upgrade to that next wow factor.

The only Minelab I have experience with is an SE Pro, and I did not click with it. I found it too slow after using the F75.

The most important areas for me in a machine is raw depth, target seperation, recovery speed, accurate ID at depth, ease of use, easy to swing all day, with good repair service.

I'm looking for any thoughts on this. Thanks!

I've used CTX for coin and relic hunting. I have a F75 DST model upgraded from an SE model.

For relic hunting CTX is heavy.

I favor my F75LTD2 model over the CTX.

Here's a few key point to consider.
Ground minerals----in 4 bar or less soil my F75LTD2 is deep. Any more bars the depth drops---shows nonferrous targets as ferrous signals. CTX will still show nonferrous as nonferrous in this higher mineralized soil--TID may not be ideal, but when relic hunting----a nonferrous target giving a nonferrous TID is better than getting an iron TID on the same nonferrous target.

CTX will strike deep but is not as deep on the lower conductors vs F75.
Some good relics are lower conductors.

Now as far as coins go---CTX unquestionably tops on deeper coins generally.
But in the heavy iron---need the 6" coil for CTX.
But remember even using the 6" coil on the CTX, there will be some good targets in heavy iron the CTX will fall short on vs say the F75 with small coil.

So there are a few tradeoffs.

Hope this info helps.

Relic Hunting means low and high conductors. The CTX is just like any other FBS or BBS detector. They are all bad on low conductors. You can't beat them for coin hunting, but relic hunting is a different ball game. Personally I liked the Deus the best. But you already have the F75 LTD2 and that is about as good as it gets.

Back
Top Bottom