• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Old Coin Help

Dorange

Posting this for a buddy of mine.
Found at an old home site. Not sure of the exact age of the home, probably late 1,800s. Is it real or a fake? Roman?
Any help would be appreciated.
54827c87c69a7bd007fa4dc5fd743ffc.jpg
cc1830f849e4fa570c43928de8e84544.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool thx. Hope it's authentic

I didn't scroll down enough, I thought you were asking about the dime.
Googling "FEL TEMP REPARATIO brought up a bunch of interesting info.
I bet like mine somebody was carrying it as a Widows Mite. Old roman coins like that sell for $10 if you call it a widows mite it's $20.
The Alexander Jannaeus lepton gets most of the credit of being THE Widows Mite, but it was explained to me that the lepton is credited because it was the smallest denomination coin in circulation at that time, and that it could have been any of the many low denomination bronze coins used in that era.

I'm not sure how historically accurate the Bible is, especially for coin identification, but it sure is a Great Story.

Thx for the info. Was hoping someone could tell whether it's a fake or authentic.

I'm pretty sure that if it was a fake, it would have been an ancient one. The portrait sort of reminds me of one of the Constantius emperors, like Constantius II or Constantius Gallus. For a while, I was able to buy late Roman bronze coins in lots of 100 @ $1/each. In one such lot, while most of the coins were common, I found one coin worth over the $100 I paid. It was a small bronze coin of the empress Galla Placidia.

Your coin would be worth $1 - $10 in a dealer's "pick'em" box at a coin show.

-- Tom

Thx for chiming in achaios. Glad to here that it is indeed old. Crazy how those old coins aren't worth much. I'll let my buddy know.

Supply and demand

Thx for chiming in achaios. Glad to here that it is indeed old. Crazy how those old coins aren't worth much. I'll let my buddy know.

It's all supply and demand. I have several extremely rare Seleukid coins, at least one unique, but they aren't extremely valuable, maybe a couple of hundred dollars. If they were US coins and the same rarity, I could tell the boss where to stick his job and retire to a life of luxury. :)

I believe your coin might be as rare as some of the key date Lincoln cents, but since they aren't as widely collected, they aren't as valuable.

-- Tom

Back
Top Bottom