Custom "ripper" diggin tool

Jeff R

Elite Member
This is an old military entrenching tool I cut with my hand grinder (about 15 minutes). It is a very agressive digger.
It cuts frost up to 2 inches, roots, etc... I call it "THE RIPPER" :lol:

available here http://stores.ebay.com/Military-Griffin for $10

Attachments

• kif_4644_189.jpg
    kif_4644_189.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 480
Jeff R said:
This is an old military entrenching tool I cut with my hand grinder (about 15 minutes). It is a very agressive digger.

Here's a pic of the one I carried, Jeff. Older than the style you have, but I like yours more. :D
It made me feel old(er) when I seen your mention of "an old military entrenching tool".

Attachments

• entrenchingtool_189.jpg
    entrenchingtool_189.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 477
I like the way you grinded it to a point, must make it easier to push into the ground. Smart thinking Jeff.

Oops I put it in the wrong spot?.
Well Krom put it this way when I carried one like your picture We were pushing forward with IKE. Ha ha
Seriously, it is an awesome relic shovel and you can?t beet it for $10 (and it folds!). I designed it after a $50 one I saw.

This is the digger I use.
(I thought I had posted this pic in here, but I can't find it. I do know that I posted it in the old forum tho'.)
I got it at a Home Depot for about $12, sawed it short (it was a long-handled spade), put a ¼" closed eye lag screw in the end, and I wear it at my side, hanging from that cordless drill hanger on my belt, that's next to the blade of it (I like cutting a good-sized plug when I'm MDing in the big fields). :yes:

Attachments

• diggingtools2_572.jpg
    diggingtools2_572.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 427
Nice selection of weaponry. I am going to add the key-hole saw to my arsenal also. One of my buddies has a small pair of clippers that just ?snip? roots, and that occasional stick that must poke at you while you are digging in the woods.

T tools work OK but tend to be heavey and the old ones (Krom) just have a straight handle I find uncomfortable. But they are rugged. I am thinking of getting a Lesche digger. Has a longer handle , narrow shovle/spade, and is still light. I am mostly using a $10 24inch garden sholvel I got at home depot now. Got a couple of years on it and works for most stuff ( you can foot it ) and is the cheapest tool I've bought. Cladius.

For what it's worth. I bought a Lesche (Predator) "Mauler" this past fall after hunting cornfields with JiminPhilly. I was using a folding E-Tool that was taking forever to dig with. After borrowing the "Mauler" I couldn't believe the difference in time and ease. I bought one two days later, and it was well worth the $50.00. It is great for digging deep and fast. I can also remove large plugs just by slicing and "levering" them out. I don't use it on any maintained grass. For those occasional larger tree roots where a pruner doesn't work, I use a coiled "survival saw" to pass under the root and cut the section out in no time. They can be had for about $ 10.00.

HH. Bill

Cladius said:
T tools work OK but tend to be heavey and the old ones (Krom) just have a straight handle I find uncomfortable. But they are rugged. I am thinking of getting a Lesche digger. Has a longer handle , narrow shovle/spade, and is still light. I am mostly using a $10 24inch garden sholvel I got at home depot now. Got a couple of years on it and works for most stuff ( you can foot it ) and is the cheapest tool I've bought. Cladius.

I definately agree with having a "footing tool" (small shovel), Cladius, but that one (not that military picture one) I have with the eye loop on the end isn't that uncomfortable for me, for the worth it is. Actually, I can "quick-draw" the thing in a second... and even return it to it's hang hook in less time. I wouldn't suggest something that big for nice lawns tho'.

Back
Top Bottom