Wallet found with coins lost 1965! Also in other hunts silver coins, gold pen, spectacles, bullets

tonznz

I was detecting in a park last week with lots of dense bush areas, and I detected a signal around roots of a tree. Well down among the roots was a plastic wallet! Plastic! Inside was 5 coins dated 1930's to 1956. There was no sign of paper money. The wallet though brittle had survived very well! the coins were pre-decimal coins, all pennies, half pennies and one sixpence. New Zealand changed to decimal coinage in 1967, so the wallet must have been lost before 1967.

In the wallet was a remnant of a piece of paper talking about an association meeting on August 12th and it was either a Tuesday Wednesday or a Thursday. The day was partly obscured. Only "...sday" remained. The only pre-decimal dates that fitted with an Aug 12th Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday and after the most modern coin found which was 1956 was 1958 1959, 1964 or 1965. One of the clear plastic flips had an identification card with a name and address still readable. The ID card was actually long gone with only an impression of the ID there like a ghostly imprint, { which since I dug it up is now fading as the wallet has dried out.}

Keen to try at least once to locate and return the wallet to its owner I tried searching the name and struck lucky with a name and current email of an older lady. Her maiden name matched, and her age would work. Esp the 1964, 1965 dates as she would be 21 or 22 and more likely at that age to need an ID card. There could well be two people with the same name, but Dunedin had only around 105,000 people in the 1960's and there is a good possibility it is her.

I emailed her. No response. If its the same person she probably thinks I'm a crazed stalker! I don't think I'll try again.

Today I found a rolled gold mechanical pencil. Here are all my finds since last post. enjoy!

"guaranteed 14k rolled gold..."

a gold filled ring....

all the gold plated things this last week or two. The spectacles I don't know about parts of the specs look quite gold-like! Maybe parts of it are solid gold. That'll be nice.

old chinese coin 1670s to 1720s

silver coins over several hunts

modern spendable coins after a tumble in my lortone

copper nickle New Zealand florin detecting last night in a cave on a beach. I found most of my modern spendables there too.

lucky shamrock brooch, brooch pin has rotted away. It maybe silver but it has no hallmarks. Is that a stirrup?

pocket knives for my jar

I have a key jar too.. I tumbled these and in they go...

plastic wallet

coins found in wallet

bullets...best one was the three ringer.... plus another part of a three ringer

rest of my finds: post office lead bag seals, spoons, moveable type, watch cog

Nice finds and good luck with that wallet return. I think your little pin/pendant is a wishbone with a clover, both tokens of good luck. You might just want to keep that one in your pocket when you go digging, although, it looks like you're having pretty good luck as it is. : )

cool find! hopefully she will respond back!

Nice finds and good luck with that wallet return. I think your little pin/pendant is a wishbone with a clover, both tokens of good luck. You might just want to keep that one in your pocket when you go digging, although, it looks like you're having pretty good luck as it is. : )

Some real nice finds there that Shamrock brooch looks more like a wishbone to me. HH

Yup, it's a wishbone for sure! Really nice finds, tonznz! Congrats! Sweeps

Thanks. Summer for us has arrived with long twilights stretching to 10pm or so in the evenings in the South Island of New Zealand, so should be good for hunting late. Looking forward to Christmas break also where I'll be hunting mud flats and beaches of Auckland.

Very cool find. I found a 1943 New Zealand penny near a WWII naval air station here in Kansas and wondered what is the best way to clean old New Zealand coins?

That's it, I'm moving to New Zealand!! Between you and Kiwisan, you find the best stuff. :D

Great finds and excellent pictures too!
Unfortunately, our evenings are getting shorter and shorter with only about 90 minutes of daylight after work:mad:

Back
Top Bottom