% Cut to hunt on someone elses property?

Kreyson

OK, i live in a large city with LOTS of large property dating back to 1840s. Medium quality part of town. By doing some drive by investigations i found some Very promising "Old" sites.

If i go up to the house, introduce myself and ask permission to MD, what % cut should i offer?

Any suggestions or ideas would be great!

*edit*

If it is 50/50, divide up the spoils into two piles and let the owner have first pick?

Personally I would offer 0% and just seek permission.

Some agree to 50% but I don't like making contracts when it comes to the hobby. For me it's finders keepers. I take people along to hunt with me, but I shy away from those kind of arrangements. I may change my mind if the property was an actual gold mine setting...lol:)

I don't know that I would bring the subject up at all. Ask permission and they'll either say yes or no and if they bring up a percentage then discuss it. I wouldn't do more than 50-50 though.

Zero! However, if they ask; remember that the property belongs to them and if they didn't allow you to hunt on it, you wouldn't have had the opportunity to find anything and I feel you should give them the chance to take whatever you have found and with that, it offers you yet another chance to prove that you are an honest person and in turn may give you more opportunity's to return and hunt time and time again. ;)

i just ask permission and never mention a cut, odds are ya might find 1 or 2 decent coins(if your lucky) and the rest will be clad and i'd hate to have the homeowner cherry pick my only 2 old coins. once ya start to mention a cut the homeowner has this idea like there is tons of silver and gold layin around and then they will also want to follow ya around the yard all day.

charge them for aerating the soil
yes.jpg

Man, i would really feel obligated to offer a cut if an old woman lives there and brings out a regular supply of lemonade.

I've been giving out my business cards and have had a few responses.....first thing they ask is "How much do you charge?" I tell them it depends on the area I have to cover. For an "average" size lawn I charge a flat rate. For a person who wants me to search a large area like a homesite, farm, etc., I charge by the hour....

Dusty

The houses in question have good sized yards (several hours worth of MDing each) and the houses look original to the 1800s time period.

I've always thought about offering a cut to people who are on the fence. I've also considered telling people i will pay them for any older coins I find. Not book value but what a dealer would pay for the condition their in. If you REALLY want to hunt a spot, I'd consider making an offer.

Zero! I metal detect because I love to and I love the hobby but if I dig up a wonderful coin that I really love I don't want to have to argue over who gets it. It's just asking for trouble. I get rather attached to the things I find and the thought of turning over any of it just makes me shiver. Unless I'm told about a lost item that they specifically want in which case I'm more than happy to turn it over should I find it.

I once had a woman tell me I could park my car on her lawn if I had sex with her. I'm sure the same charge would have been levied for metal detecting the property.

I have a guy at church who pointed out a BIG gold ring he lost in his garden last year identical to the one he had on his finger at the time. so i know what i'm looking for and almost exactly where it is. just waiting for the snow to thaw but i thought i would ask him if i could scout all his property for the return of the ring. Probably the only property i will ever get to MD with permission. I don't know how you guys get folks to not only come on their land to take their treasure but to dig holes in the process hehe.

Sales is not my forte but HEY more power to ya. I hear there is a job over by Kellco's, me and the boys applied but got kicked from the thread
jackfunny.jpg

Offer them first dibs at any family related items, or sentimental pieces.

That would be the angle I would take. Ask them if they know of any lost family rings, jewelry etc., have them describe it, and if you find it give them that.

I would offer if they seem ready to say no....or if they seem on the edge.....I plan on wording it something like this...."If you have any interest in antiquities and relics I would be willing to show you my finds and split them with you.....". THis shows you are not selfish......and I am guessing that unless the landowner really has a sincere appreciation or interest in old coins, relics, etc....then they probably will not want anything anyway.

Half of what you find on a piece of property is more than 100% of what you find on NO property.

Again, feel them out and make the offer if you think it will help.

I would offer nothing unless they ask. But I normally hunt fields and woods when I get permission. I've never had someone ask for a percentage usually it's either yes you can or no you can't. Rejection stinks.

I've been giving out my business cards and have had a few responses.....first thing they ask is "How much do you charge?" I tell them it depends on the area I have to cover. For an "average" size lawn I charge a flat rate. For a person who wants me to search a large area like a homesite, farm, etc., I charge by the hour....

Dusty

That's great !! :lol: I love it Dusty, I'm going to have to get some cards made up.

Lots of good ideas on here. I had asked that before on here too and I agree with the guys that say not to mention it. It just gets them thinking too much and the next thing you know they either think that there is a lot of stuff in their yard or they don't want you there at all. If they mention it you could just offer to give them something you found, just play it by ear.
I had asked a friend of mine if I could hunt his yard and he said I could but I wouldn't find anything. He watched me for a bit and we talked while I hunted then he'd go back in the house. He saw me pull penny after penny from his yard but didn't know that one of them was a 1909. I never told him. How do you split that? I did the digging, I'm keeping it.

Back
Top Bottom