Hello from Knoxville, TN!

richardbruer

So, we recently bought a couple-acres piece of property down in Tellico Plains, TN. I drew up the plat in CAD using the distances and bearings in the warranty deed. Then, I thought it'd be nice to have a metal detector to help me find the iron pins at property corners.

I figured an inexpensive metal detector would work well to find such large hunks of iron. As I looked at specifications and researched what can be done with a metal detector, my OCD started kicking in. Maybe if I'm going to buy a metal detector, I should get a more versatile tool, that I could use for much more than finding iron property marker pins. Adjustable ground balance would be nice, wouldn't it? Iron audio seems like a useful feature. It'd be good to have finely adjustable iron discrimination, and very adjustable notching. Next thing I knew, I was considering the idea of procuring an Equinox 800.

But, all I need to do immediately is find iron pins. My frugality was fighting with my OCD. Maybe a Garrett AT Pro? It's less expensive than the Equinox 800, but still seems to be quite capable and seems to be very respected in the metal detecting community (based on reading forums and reviews online). I can get an AT Pro for about $550 on Amazon. Hmmm. What about Ebay or Craigslist? Maybe to sooth my frugality, I could find a good lightly used AT Pro.

Looking on Ebay, it seems that used AT Pros are not going for much less than $550. Doing a search for "metal detector" on my local Craigslist turned up only one AT Pro, and I could never get that guy to return a call, text or email.

Then, one day I searched "AT Pro" on the local Craigslist, and hit on an AT Pro and accessories that a guy had apparently been trying to sell for over 2 months. He didn't have the words "metal detector" in his ad, so he probably wasn't reaching the full contingency of customers he intended to reach. After some discussion and looking over his AT Pro and accessory gear, I agreed to buy his nearly new and very lightly used Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin-Pointer AT, Garrett edge digger with sheath, Garrett hat, Garrett belt/pouch, Garrett camo detector soft case, and Lesche T-handle serrated-edge shovel for $325.

I guess now I am a detectorist? Well, I have a metal detecting setup at least. It's been way too dang cold here since I bought the setup for me to get motivated to get out and try out the detector. It works to detect coins, etc. in the house I can tell at least.

Anyway, hello from Knoxville, TN! I'll be skulking around the forums learning all I can, and getting out to fiddle with detecting when I get motivated enough to brave the cold. :grin:

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

This video I found online can help you start learning how to use it while you're waiting for it to warm up :cold1: :lol:, this is part 1 of a 4 part series they made, after part 1 you should see where you can click for part 2 and so on -

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Welcome!

Attachments

• welcome.JPG
    welcome.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 325
Hello from another Tennessee newbie. I'm from Chattanooga and just got a Fisher F22. Only used it in my backyard thus far, but I'm hooked. Let's find some middle ground and learn together!

Welcome to the "Friendly Forum" Richard. Yep you made both a good buy and a good choice in the Garrett AT line. Charles Garrett was one of the founders/inventors of the tools of our trade and Garrett the company is highly respected today throughout the industry.

I've never used an AT but there are plenty of people on this forum that have extensive experience with the detector and would be glad to help, all you have to do is ask.

My home is Arkansas but we also have a second home and family in Loudon TN where we spend quite a bit of time. Lot's of history in East TN as I'm sure you're already aware of so, you have the right detector, the right place, and the right people to encourage you to learn and enjoy the hobby but be aware that it can become "habit forming".

Last edited:
Welcome from W. Tn. I grew up in Knoxville and used to find a lot of CW relics east of K-Town. Good luck and happy hunting

Back
Top Bottom