• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New-B from Washington State

99dart

Hi everyone! Wenatchee to be exact. I am excited to learn the "do's-n-don't" of metal detecting. I have wanted a detector for years! Still don't have one, but trying to edumakate myself for the purchase. I'm looking to spend around $200+ or - a bit. So far I am kind of set on getting an Ace 250 or used 350. I would appreciate input from personal experience on comparable units. I.E. possibly easier to setup for a newbie, better at filtering out trash, overall multipurpose detector.
Thanks in advance and if there is an existing thread about this, a link will be much appreciated! ;) :?:

Welco.e from NC. I just started last month learning the fisher F-22.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hi everyone! Wenatchee to be exact. I am excited to learn the "do's-n-don't" of metal detecting. I have wanted a detector for years! Still don't have one, but trying to edumakate myself for the purchase. I'm looking to spend around $200+ or - a bit. So far I am kind of set on getting an Ace 250 or used 350. I would appreciate input from personal experience on comparable units. I.E. possibly easier to setup for a newbie, better at filtering out trash, overall multipurpose detector.
Thanks in advance and if there is an existing thread about this, a link will be much appreciated! ;) :?:

I started with an Ace 400 for the first 8 months and then kicked it up to a Nox800.

I found 17 rings with the Ace and $160 or so in coins with it! Paid for itself in 8 months!

Welco.e from NC. I just started last month learning the fisher F-22.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hi there, So, have you had the F22 out for a test run yet? Reviews say that is a nice machine. It falls in my price range, too.

:fmdfwelcome:... from the cold & snowy state of Minnesota! :lotsasnow::snowtruck::snowballfight: Thanks for joining, we're glad to have you with us. :yes:

As for detectors, I would recommend the Ace 300 over the 250 & the Ace 400 over the 350. The reason is that the 300 and 400 are the newer versions of the 250 and 350. So they will have TID numbers and the number bar, as well as, I believe, a higher frequency, instead of just the number bar. Hope that is helpful. :D

Welcome from Issaquah, WA!
An ACE is a great starter unit...as is a Fisher F2 and many others in that price range. If you get hooked (like the rest of us) you'll soon want to upgrade, but the ACE will serve you well and for general coinshooting and relic hunting will be great.

PS - It's not absolutely necessary, but if you can leave room in the budget for a good pinpointer (i.e. Garrett Propointer or equivalent) I highly recommend it. (~$100)

Great, Thanks guys! I am seeing the point about the ace 250-350 being older units. It looks like the Fisher F22 is a "new unit" with good reviews. I am changing my mind once again! LOL

Welcome from Pierce county. I started with an Ace 250 and it quickly paid for itself in clad and jewelry. Good luck out there, Wenatchee is an older town and has lots of potential for old coins and relics! :grin:

:fmdfwelcome: Thank you for joining us!

Do: consider detecting in your own yard, if possible. This will help you become acquainted with your detector, as well as give you practice in digging and filling nice, neat holes (which we detectorists usually call "plugs"). :D

Don't: become discouraged if the "good" finds don't show up right away. Actually, though, when you're outside enjoying the hunt and God's creation, any find is a good find. ;)

Hope you have fun with your new hobby! I'll look forward to reading your posts.

Back
Top Bottom