New Member from Pa.

sinrose50

Hi. I'm Cindy. I'm a newbie to Metal detecting. An acquaintance inspired me and I went out the next day and bought a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro...included a bag, headphones and pin pointer. Funds are low. The Pin pointer isn't that great. Any better, low cost pin pointer out there? The only thing I need is gloves and a light weight digger yet! I guess. Also a list of laws on where you can go or not. I have no idea YET what i'm doing. Any tips are welcome.

Well, start out getting familiar with your rig...you can do this easily right out in the yard, or even in the house...toss down some coins/rings/jewelry and give them a sweep...This is an 'Audio Primary' sport..you gotta get to know what things sound like...then get outside and hunt as much as possible..even in totlots..the dirt will teach you if you let it...

The Forum Membership will help you condense your learning process so you dont have to make all the mistakes we made...Its a long term Dedicated Commitment to get really good at this...as in any Outdoor Pursuit Oriented Sport, most folks wash out relatively quickly...are you up to it? Set yourself some goals and bear down to accomplish...Pull a 100 coin day...we call that a 'Century'...

Regarding funds....ROI....this is the only Sport that actually pays for itself and more...You can leave the house without a penny to your name and in short order you have a couple of dollars! Just by wandering around outside and paying attention? Whats not to love about that!:laughing:

Attachments

• field of dreams.jpg
    field of dreams.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 177
  • may 23-15-1.jpg
    may 23-15-1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 184
Hi. I'm Cindy. I'm a newbie to Metal detecting. An acquaintance inspired me and I went out the next day and bought a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro...included a bag, headphones and pin pointer. Funds are low. The Pin pointer isn't that great. Any better, low cost pin pointer out there? The only thing I need is gloves and a light weight digger yet! I guess. Also a list of laws on where you can go or not. I have no idea YET what i'm doing. Any tips are welcome.
As far as gloves go, if you have a Harbor Freight near you that is a good place for nice gloves that are inexpensive.

And welcome from Pittsburgh.

Hi Cindy, welcome from the White Mountains of NH. I'm new to this hobby as well. Youtube videos of people using your machine can help get you started.

Also, in my research I've found that the GP-pointer is a cost effective alternative to the higher end pinpointers. It won't perform as well but from what I've seen it's not bad for the money. Search Amazon or eBay, it will run you about $35.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Practice listening to the different tones various coins and objects make, this video someone made includes such a practice test -

Another tip, practice proper digging techniques in your own yard so you don't leave brown grass spots when digging in public places -

plughelp1a.jpg
plughelp2a.jpg

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Welcome Aboard Cindy from eastern Pa. Just curious which part of Pa. Take the time to learn what your machine is telling you. It takes some time. I kept a log of times, places and what I found. It's interesting to go back and see how much your finds increase with experience. Best of luck to you.

Hello Cindy

Cindy,
I decided to try this metal detecting thing late last summer. I got bored with golf and needed a new hobby. I am retired and 74 so I decided to buy an AT Pro package new. I have about $650 all total invested. At this point, I have found over $600 just in clad coins and 4 rings, 2 gold and 2 silver. The bottom line here is look at videos and learn the machine you have. Like the experienced guys say, the sounds will tell you. I learned on my own by watching videos and doing some testing in my yard with coins. I am far from an expert but I think I have done pretty well in the short time I am MD'ing.
I too am in PA , lower Schuylkill Co. Good Luck and enjoy the ride. It's a great hobby.
Bubbaron AT Pro & AT Pro Pin Pointer

Back
Top Bottom