The breaking of the wings

ks coyote

Super Motivator
Found this Navigator's wing a while back and wondered why I never could find the other wing. This might explain it.

The Breaking of the Wings

Since man started flying, he has taken to the air a certain amount of risk. To counter that risk, a tradition was established years ago when the Army Air Corps first started issuing pilot wings to their young aviators. This tradition is called "BREAKING OF THE WINGS."

At every UPT graduation, the Air Force issues the pilots their pair of wings. As tradition has it, the pilot should never wear that first pair of wings. To bring good luck, the pilot should break the wing into two parts. The pilot should keep one half, the other half should be given to the pilot's best friend or relative. To preserve good luck, the halves should never be brought together while the pilot is alive. After death the two halves are once again united with the pilot for good luck in the next life. Applied to Navigators also.

Attachments

• wing.jpg
    wing.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 508
That's a very cool story , thanks for sharing it , and congrats on a sweet find . Man really would be cool to know who it may have belonged to .

True! When I graduated from USAF UPT I broke the wings that were attached to my Pilot Aeronautical Rating Certificate - the half with the crest went to my wife and the smaller piece to my Mom. That was almost 40 years and over 13,200 hours of flight time ago!

Cheers,
TB

Back
Top Bottom