Why do I keep finding these? - Solved

gdigga

I seem to always find these on a civil war battlefield that I detect on. They look very old but I am not certain that they used spring-clips in the civil war. I have Googled the !!!! out of it but no luck. Any ideas? .577 Caliber Minie for size reference. Thanks in advance!

DSC01510.jpg

DSC01511.jpg

Something along these lines?

Don't know about it being CW period ..but these are from a 1907 catalog.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 739
That sure looks like them! That would make them over a hundred years old, I believe that considering the amount of corrosion. We also find lots of horse shoes and bridle rings here. Thanks!

saddlery hasn't changed but over the years so kinda hard to date, but more modern than CW I believe.

They are used for all sorts of things but that's what came to mind anyway.

Last edited:
There still a cool find. You can't really prove how old or new they are so it's fine to beleave they are CW items. Take it from a guy that believes that an old rock is an Indian arrow head. :laughing:

I'm sure those type clips are moslty post CW. They used a few tyes of spring clips during the war for carbine slings.

Then during WW1, a different type of clip was used mainly for the M1 Garand scabbards.

I've found both types at CW period sites.

Here's a few pics for reference.

Happy hunting.

Attachments

• 9859626_1.jpg
    9859626_1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 668
  • 108248_01_m1_garand_scabbard_ww2__640.jpg
    108248_01_m1_garand_scabbard_ww2__640.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 695
Thanks for the replys. Just needed to know if they were display box or junk box material!

Thanks for the replys. Just needed to know if they were display box or junk box material!

I would say that is a personal decision....Some people's junk will be another's display material....and vice versa..

I'm sure those type clips are moslty post CW. They used a few tyes of spring clips during the war for carbine slings.

Then during WW1, a different type of clip was used mainly for the M1 Garand scabbards.

I've found both types at CW period sites.

Here's a few pics for reference.

Happy hunting.

Wolf,

I believe you meant WW2 on the M1 Garand scabbards. A WW1 Garand would bring millions! Many of those clips were used on various tack and team gear as well. Almost impossible to make a positive identification on their exact use and period.

Charlie

Heck, every dog leash had that type of spring clip when I was younger. Haven't had a dog in years so don't know what they use now. Those shown would go right in the trash along with the rusted out horseshoes, axe heads, pieces of chain, and other iron junk I dig up.

Back
Top Bottom