In your area what problems do you have with animals and bugs , when MDing

Ricki7

Forum Supporter
Erie county NY, we have minor problems while hunting with , Mosquitos , Bees, and Flies. Normally nothing poisonous or dangerous , some times rabies cycles. Ticks really are not a problem here , see them on the dogs occasionally.
If I was to hunt in your area what should I be prepared for?

Erie county NY, we have minor problems while hunting with , Mosquitos , Bees, and Flies. Normally nothing poisonous or dangerous , some times rabies cycles. Ticks really are not a problem here , see them on the dogs occasionally.
If I was to hunt in your area what should I be prepared for?

Same thing here as what you mentioned. But depending on the location ticks can sometimes become more of a concern , still nothing like they are in some areas.

Western Washington, Yellow Jackets and Mosquitos mainly. Eastern Washington, Both of those along with rattle snakes, black widows, and scorpions (SE WA for the scorpions).

Poison ivy! I Hate the stuff. Because of my closeness to the water my area stays damp sometimes it's noon before the dew dries off the grass. I believe it's a good habitat for mosquitos. I use off and a lot of it during spring and summer.

Oh and sasquatch ok not really.

Sand gnats, mosquitoes, ticks, deer flies. Sand gnats can make you do some crazy stuff. Scratching with a Lesche isn't uncommon:lol:

Ants, chiggers, mosquitos, snakes, ticks and bees are the first that come to mind. Its guaranteed one of them will get you each time you hunt.

Wisconsin hazards

Here in Wisconsin the worst thing you'd have to be worried about wildlife-wise is ticks. They are abundant, especially in woodland areas but even on the walls of buildings and in people's lawns. And pets like dogs are always bringing them inside. Deer ticks are especially problematic, they are the hardest to spot and often carry pathogens like Lyme's Disease.

Aside from ticks, there is of course bees and wasps of all types, red ants, and mosquitoes. The mosquitoes are the worst because they seek you out, unlike the bees who will leave you alone as long as you don't get too close. The mosquitoes rest in the tall grass and clouds of them rise up when you walk through it or brush against it, and have a knack for buzzing around your ears and driving you generally insane. :runaway:

Flies are generally not bad, unless you're in an area with livestock. I have a horse and we have these GIGANTIC black horseflies, probably 2 inches (not an exaggeration), that torment him and the other horses endlessly, it's a constant battle trying to protect them from flies. I have been bit by horseflies as well. It's painful.

There are snakes, but here in Wisconsin only 3 species are venomous, and of those, one species is endangered.

Botanically, there is a variety of thorny plants, poison oak, poison ivy, burrs, stinging nettle and the worst offender to all people in shorts, saw grass. It grows near water and will leave your legs with a patchwork of painful, burning, stinging cuts. :(

While I have been the victim of sawgrass attacks more than once :lol:, I have been pretty lucky as far as hazards go. I am outside a lot (other than detecting, I do gardening and lawn work) and despite this, I have never been bit by a tick (have had them on me, I feel them and fling them off), never gotten a rash from poison ivy (pretty sure I've been into it), and until last year when I was 18 I had never gotten stung by a bee or wasp.

Ticks, ticks, ticks....did I say ticks! They are terrible here in the Ozarks. There are days that I will walk across a field and am literally pulling dozens off of my pant legs. Many miss my eye and I start to get that tell tale burning and itching. Don't let me get started on "seed ticks"!

Red wasps can be a real problem too, especially around old abandoned buildings.

Doug

Squitos when warm, bees, and ticks, nothing that dangerous, oh crackheads :lol:

Didn't we just do a thread like this a cpl. weeks ago? Well anyway, we have it all here. I prospect the lower/upper desert and hills n mountains. Ticks, scorpians, rattlers, vinagaroons, turantulas, bears, lions, bees, wasps, mosquitos on and on. A few weeks ago camping out, a large bear passed by my tent about 300 ft away. I use a lot of cayanne pepper around my tent and foods as a deterent. 3 yrs ago a bullet went thru my tent at night. July 4 bullets were fired late at night within 3 feet of my tent and hit boulders behind me. Two weeks ago some jackass showing some girls how to shoot trap was throwing the clay pidgeons in the air and the girls were waiting till the pidgeons were 6 ft. From the ground before fireing. I heard the B B's hitting trees around me and literally whizzing in front of my face. I carry a 380 automatic at all times. Oh............ I forgot about the plants. We also have poison ivey, cactus needles several inches long and trees and large shrubs with huge thorns. Certain areas in high desert are nothing but cacti and thorny shrubs and trees.

Parks/yards...Fire ants in spots,curious kids/adults (you said animals...lol)

Woods....cottonmouths,timber rattlers,copperheads,mosquitoes...with the snakes as long as you keep your eyes open and on the ground like you would be detecting they wouldn't be too much of a problem...the mosqitoes on the other hand will carry you off at times.

In Upper Michigan we only have to deal with skeeters, ticks, no-see-ums, and blackflies. Some poison ivy but not much. Bears, moose, wolves are a possibility but you probably have a better chance of winning the lottery. Cougars (the cats, not older women:D) are few and far between and it would be extremely rare to see one of those. Basically all you need is bug dope.

It's just the darn unleashed dogs in the park. There is a leash law, that some dog owners ignore. Countless times I've had to deal with snarling dogs at my heals while digging a plug - latest response by owner - "we're here all the time, you're never here!"

Snakes (Cottonmouth, Timber & Eastern Diamondback Rattlers, Copperheads, & Coral), Ticks, Gnats, skeeters, Fire Ants, Poison Ivy, briars, Hogs. Always wear snake boots, & carry large sidearm.

I'm surprised not to see spiders mentioned , I've heard a lot about recluse spiders and black widows being around the country .Ok guns for protection from hogs , snakes gators and people . What works best for the bugs ,all we have around here is some products with Deet in them. I have seen hats with screening for flies and mosquito's but won't stop ticks .
HH

Back
Top Bottom